Giants Starting Geno Smith

BroncoSojia

4 minutes ago, celestial said:

I'm 100% serious. I've watched Giants' games for years. Eli is not good anymore and has not been good for years. There's a reason his coach, his GM and everyone else agree on it. If you think Eli missing screen passes and injurying Odell Beckham twice with slant overthrows means he's above replacement level, you're wrong. The ball don't lie. McAdoo is right and will be proven right. I

It's not hard at all for Geno Smith play better than Eli's 2.52 A/YA against Washington last week. 

I'm not going to argue that Eli Manning has been playing very poorly since the start of 2016. I had him ranked #24th at quarterback and I've been repeatedly using the words "dead" and "arm" when discussing Eli. 

But here's the thing.  You're talking up Geno Smith like he's not terrible.  Like he's going to be the answer for the Giants.  And it sounds just like the Bills fans who were talking up Nathan Peterman a few weeks ago.  Except Peterman at least had the benefit of being an unknown and Geno does not. 

27 minutes ago, Crickett said:

I'm not going to argue that Eli Manning has been playing very poorly since the start of 2016. I had him ranked #24th at quarterback and I've been repeatedly using the words "dead" and "arm" when discussing Eli. 

But here's the thing.  You're talking up Geno Smith like he's not terrible.  Like he's going to be the answer for the Giants.  And it sounds just like the Bills fans who were talking up Nathan Peterman a few weeks ago.  Except Peterman at least had the benefit of being an unknown and Geno does not. 

I didn' say Eli has been playing poorly since the start of 2016. I said Eli has been playing poorly for years. If you think Eli just suddenly started playing like he has been, you aren't paying attention.

And yeah, I believe in Geno Smith. Because unlike Geno, Nathan Peterman doesn't have a perfect game, successive good starts, 4+ years in the league, a strong arm, run a high 4.5, etc. Yet despite their dissimilarities, people think Geno Smith is the same as Nathan Peterman.  No. Eli was not even playing as well as Tyrod when he was benched. Eli deserved to benched a few years ago, actually.

8 minutes ago, celestial said:

I didn' say Eli has been playing poorly since the start of 2016. I said Eli has been playing poorly for years. If you think Eli just suddenly started playing like he has been, you aren't paying attention.

And yeah, I believe in Geno Smith. Because unlike Geno, Nathan Peterman doesn't have a perfect game, successive good starts, 4+ years in the league, a strong arm, run a high 4.6, etc. But according to many here, Geno Smith is the same QB as Nathan Peterman. And Eli has been playing well (no, he hasn't - Eli is not even as good as Tyrod Taylor right now).

1. No you didn't, I did.  Although if you're going to use the word years (emphasis on the plural) but don't agree that Eli has been playing poorly since the start of 2016, it means you think he's been playing poorly longer. 

2. We're most of the way through the 2017 season.  Saying Eli has been playing poorly since the start of 2016 isn't "suddenly started". 

3. Name one person here who thinks Geno Smith is the same quarterback as Nathan Peterman.  Go on, I'm sure you've compiled a list, and I'm sure I'm on it even though I said nothing of the sort. 

4. I lend Geno's "perfect game" about as much credence as Matt Flynn's six touchdown performance week 17 of 2011.  Maybe the Giants should sign him as a backup.  9_9

5 minutes ago, Crickett said:

1. No you didn't, I did.  Although if you're going to use the word years (emphasis on the plural) but don't agree that Eli has been playing poorly since the start of 2016, it means you think he's been playing poorly longer. 

2. We're most of the way through the 2017 season.  Saying Eli has been playing poorly since the start of 2016 isn't "suddenly started". 

3. Name one person here who thinks Geno Smith is the same quarterback as Nathan Peterman.  Go on, I'm sure you've compiled a list, and I'm sure I'm on it even though I said nothing of the sort. 

4. I lend Geno's "perfect game" about as much credence as Matt Flynn's six touchdown performance week 17 of 2011.  Maybe the Giants should sign him as a backup.  9_9

1. Yeah, and you're wrong.

2.  Eli's career was literally saved by Odell Beckham. It goes further back than even 2016. 

3. Doesn't matter. 

4. I'm pretty sure you have never watched any of Geno. Did you even watch Matt Flynn? They're nothing alike. Flynn's arm was weak, first of all.  Flynn was older too. See? Different

2 minutes ago, celestial said:

2.  Eli's career was literally saved by Odell Beckham. It goes further back than even 2016. 

3. Doesn't matter. 

4. i'm pretty sure you never saw Geno's perfect game. I did. Different QBs. We'll see what happens. You think

1. Says you.

2. Of course he was.  In 2014, OBJ was the only receiving option Eli had.  Without him, he would have been throwing to likes of Reuben Randle, Jerrell Jernigan, Preston Parker, Larry Donnell and the ghost of Victor Cruz.  That's actually a worse group of receivers than the Giants have now, post-injuries. 

3. If that doesn't matter, than neither does anything else you're writing and I can stop here. 

18 minutes ago, celestial said:

3. Doesn't matter. 

4. I'm pretty sure you have never watched any of Geno. Did you even watch Matt Flynn? They're nothing alike. Flynn's arm was weak, first of all.  Flynn was older too. See? Different

Wait, so Eli's career was saved by Beckham? Last time I checked Beckham played last year and early this year. Did he stop saving him? Did Beckham become a worse receiver?

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

Wait, so Eli's career was saved by Beckham? Last time I checked Beckham played last year and early this year. Did he stop saving him? Did Beckham become a worse receiver?

Beckham was unstoppable for a short time but teams have figured out how to limit him schematically. So Eli can't stare him down all day. Hence Eli's downward trajectory.

So persuasive have been some of these pro-Geno arguments that I, heretofore not a fan of his, have been moved to tears.

Never have I heard anything more convincing. Now, I, a former doubter, strongly believe that, throwing to The Three Banditos (Roger Lewis, Tavarres King, and Travis Rudolph), Geno Smith will deliver some jaw-breaking performances- sorry, jaw-DROPPING!- in the remaining 5 games!

Image result for Geno smith

3 hours ago, celestial said:

And yeah, I believe in Geno Smith. Because unlike Geno, Nathan Peterman doesn't have a perfect game, successive good starts, 4+ years in the league, a strong arm, run a high 4.5, etc. Yet despite their dissimilarities, people think Geno Smith is the same as Nathan Peterman.  No. Eli was not even playing as well as Tyrod when he was benched. Eli deserved to benched a few years ago, actually.

You forget the most important part.  Gene doesn't have what it takes between his ears to be a viable starting QB.  Spot duty for a couple games?  Ok.  But anything past that he can't handle.  

Archived