Giants Starting Geno Smith

BroncoSojia

3 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I think it also speaks volumes to what they think of Webb. If they were sold on the rook, Geno isn't in the equation.

Not really, he's just not ready. He was a guy who they knew needed to sit and wasn't ready right away. It's like saying Texans starting Savage over Watson just shows how they viewed Watson. The Giants just didn't think we'd need to see how ready he was so early because the expectation was that Eli would see out his contract. 

Also if this is Eli's last year, I seriously don't think he's gonna go out like that. No way. 

20 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I think the Gmen and Den finishing in top 5 picks makes it a lock that Darnold declares - just a gut feeling, but I suspect Darnold's supposed hesitancy had to do with CLE as the only team in the top 5 at QB originally, along with BUF & ARI.   Personally I think CLE is on the rise, and a great landing spot team-wise (maybe not destination wise), but you can't beat NY for media hype / big city landing spot, and DEN probably looks a lot more attractive to WC guys than BUF/CLE do (nothing against the teams, talking WC preferences, and i say this as a guy who's lived on the EST all my life).

On the rise? How so? Fans continue to act as if having a lot of draft picks is a good measure for success. Cleveland is a cultural nightmare starting at the top with ownership. Until their is a shift in culture with that organization, they are not rising from anything. 

29 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

On the rise? How so? Fans continue to act as if having a lot of draft picks is a good measure for success. Cleveland is a cultural nightmare starting at the top with ownership. Until their is a shift in culture with that organization, they are not rising from anything. 

Having young, cheap talent is far better than aging, expensive talent.   CLE has 100M in cap space, and yes, all that draft capital.    Their biggest strengths are their run D, their secondary is suddenly a lot better, and that OL with Joe Thomas back should be fine at top 10-12 at worst...right now, RT is their only weak spot (and a 2nd year guy who could get better is there in Coleman).   Building trench strength is step 1.  QB/secondary/skill O players complete the rebuild - and CLE has found their top cover guy in McCourty, and likely a legit top 2 WR in Coleman, and TE they're fine with Njoku/Devalve, and 3rd down RB with Duke Johnson.  Fortunately, 1st/2nd down RB is the easiest skill position to upgrade - and while QB is hard to get, CLE has the draft position and picks to get their guy - whether it's Cousins, or QB at 1.1.   Cousins would make them better immediately, and if Darnold has any doubts about CLE, then I suspect that's what we see (because CLE can outgun everyone in a trade scenario with WAS even without involving 1.1 - HOU's pick is right now 1.7 and combine that with 2.1 2018, that outguns pretty much any team willing to trade for Cousins - top 5 pick teams thinking of QB will opt for a cheaper route with Darnold/Rosen targets).

Get them a real QB, 2nd CB, RT and RB - which CLE can both pay for and/or pick - and watch the surge.   And yes, you can say a bunch of teams need that - except we know CLE can pay for it both cap-wise and pick-wise.    They committed to a full rebuild 2 years ago entirely to start playing for real in 2018 - their only major missed opp was Watson at 1.12 this past year (Wentz traded netted them 7 starters and next year's HOU 1st & 2nd rd pick, Wentz on a team without those 7 starters they still suck).   Still an org on the rise.   

But yeah, their biggest problem is their ownership - pretty clear Haslem was a huge driving factor to their biggest blunders.  He was one of the main drivers (along with HC Hue Jackson fearing for his job) in that whole McCarron mess.    But it's the FO that's getting them real hope - they were the ones sane enough to block the McCarron deal, and balk at JimmyG for 2 firsts like NE was asking for.   As long as they keep the current FO & GM Sashi Brown (HC Jackson I'm not so sold on though), they are in good hands.   They were so bad heading into 2016 they needed these 2 years to rebuild (and yes, tank away both 2016 & 2017).   Heading into 2018 they're in a better position than DEN is, TBH - we're talented in some areas, but cap-strapped to get a difference-maker where we need it the most to be 2018 contenders - QB, OL (at least 2 more spots), interior DL, ILB (maybe 2), 3rd WR, and ideally a RB upgrade.   Add that our top WR's (DT & Sanders) & CB's are getting older (Talib, and still a punk) or expensive beyond value (Roby) and we have no one behind them who's even close to ready.    CLE has the ammo, and they've clearly established 2016-17 were going to be full tank years.    It's frankly the way teams that are bad should operate, instead of throwing away resources at the mirage that maybe they can be mediocre-but-not-awful in 20xx (present year).    Still, there's no doubt the perception you have on CLE prevails among some players - which is why CLE trading for Cousins is a more likely play for them to avoid the whole perception mess, but that's a topic for another thread lol.

Back to the Geno/NYG thread....

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Having young, cheap talent is far better than aging, expensive talent.   CLE has 100M in cap space, and yes, all that draft capital.    Their biggest strengths are their run D, their secondary is suddenly a lot better, and that OL with Joe Thomas back should be fine at top 10-12 at worst...right now, RT is their only weak spot (and a 2nd year guy who could get better is there in Coleman).   Building trench strength is step 1.  QB/secondary/skill O players complete the rebuild - and CLE has found their top cover guy in McCourty, and likely a legit top 2 WR in Coleman, and TE they're fine with Njoku/Devalve, and 3rd down RB with Duke Johnson.  Fortunately, 1st/2nd down RB is the easiest skill position to upgrade - and while QB is hard to get, CLE has the draft position and picks to get their guy - whether it's Cousins, or QB at 1.1.   Cousins would make them better immediately, and if Darnold has any doubts about CLE, then I suspect that's what we see (because CLE can outgun everyone in a trade scenario with WAS even without involving 1.1 - HOU's pick is right now 1.7 and combine that with 2.1 2018, that outguns pretty much any team willing to trade for Cousins - top 5 pick teams thinking of QB will opt for a cheaper route with Darnold/Rosen targets).

Get them a real QB, 2nd CB, RT and RB - which CLE can both pay for and/or pick - and watch the surge.   And yes, you can say a bunch of teams need that - except we know CLE can pay for it both cap-wise and pick-wise.    They committed to a full rebuild 2 years ago entirely to start playing for real in 2018 - their only major missed opp was Watson at 1.12 this past year (Wentz traded netted them 7 starters and next year's HOU 1st & 2nd rd pick, Wentz on a team without those 7 starters they still suck).   Still an org on the rise.   

But yeah, their biggest problem is their ownership - pretty clear Haslem was a huge driving factor to their biggest blunders.  He was one of the main drivers (along with HC Hue Jackson fearing for his job) in that whole McCarron mess.    But it's the FO that's getting them real hope - they were the ones sane enough to block the McCarron deal, and balk at JimmyG for 2 firsts like NE was asking for.   As long as they keep the current FO & GM Sashi Brown (HC Jackson I'm not so sold on though), they are in good hands.   They were so bad heading into 2016 they needed these 2 years to rebuild (and yes, tank away both 2016 & 2017).   Heading into 2018 they're in a better position than DEN is, TBH - we're talented in some areas, but cap-strapped to get a difference-maker where we need it the most to be 2018 contenders - QB, OL (at least 2 more spots), interior DL, ILB (maybe 2), 3rd WR, and ideally a RB upgrade.   Add that our top WR's (DT & Sanders) & CB's are getting older (Talib, and still a punk) or expensive beyond value (Roby) and we have no one behind them who's even close to ready.    CLE has the ammo, and they've clearly established 2016-17 were going to be full tank years.    It's frankly the way teams that are bad should operate, instead of throwing away resources at the mirage that maybe they can be mediocre-but-not-awful in 20xx (present year).    Still, there's no doubt the perception you have on CLE prevails among some players - which is why CLE trading for Cousins is a more likely play for them to avoid the whole perception mess, but that's a topic for another thread lol.

Back to the Geno/NYG thread....

I fee like we have been saying this for years and the best thing it has amounted to is a 7-9 season.

I think if you bench Eli to see what you have in the rookie Davis Webb, then no big deal.  I think most people would understand, including Eli. 

The outrage is due to the fact that he was benched for Geno Smith, who is fortunate to even have a job, to be honest.  What exactly is there to gain by throwing Geno out there?    Even if Smith gets out there and plays a respectable level, are you going to hand him the keys?  of course not...  If Webb isn't ready, just leave it alone.

Very disrespectful move by the Giant front office, IMO.

On 11/30/2017 at 8:27 AM, lancerman said:

Mara's statement pretty much confirms what I thought. It was an ownership decision. It wasn't about who gives them the best chance to win, it was about evaluating for the draft. And they thought they were playing nice by offering him the start to keep the streak going. 

It was also an ownership decision to not even show up to work on the day you signed off on the benching of the most successful QB in your franchise’s history. Just saying.

5 hours ago, matt79511 said:

It was also an ownership decision to not even show up to work on the day you signed off on the benching of the most successful QB in your franchise’s history. Just saying.

Mara was at the owners meeting. McAdoo should have done it when he was there.

9 hours ago, frenchie said:

I think if you bench Eli to see what you have in the rookie Davis Webb, then no big deal.  I think most people would understand, including Eli. 

The outrage is due to the fact that he was benched for Geno Smith, who is fortunate to even have a job, to be honest.  What exactly is there to gain by throwing Geno out there?    Even if Smith gets out there and plays a respectable level, are you going to hand him the keys?  of course not...  If Webb isn't ready, just leave it alone.

Very disrespectful move by the Giant front office, IMO.

Honestly believe this had more to do with making Geno the sacraficial lamb when things go poorly, then possibly making Davis look like Pederman in his first start with Buffalo?

It also gives Davis more practice reps as the #2 rather then going from a #3 that barely gets reps throughout the year to being the one to replace Eli and breaking his streak. Now that pressure falls on Geno's shoulders, not Davis!

Backlash if he crapped the bed after making that decesion would make Buffalo's cluster flop look miniscule.

Davis starts next week baring some absurd unexpected game from Smith!!

Archived