Giants Starting Geno Smith

BroncoSojia

42 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Anyone who thinks Geno Smith has even a remotely slight chance of being an improvement is laughable, imo.

Hey, it's not the first time someone has thought a second rate former Jets quarterback could adequately replace a Manning on this forum.  At least not that I've *ahem* witnessed.  :P

6 hours ago, Crickett said:

I'm not going to argue that Eli Manning has been playing very poorly since the start of 2016. I had him ranked #24th at quarterback and I've been repeatedly using the words "dead" and "arm" when discussing Eli. 

But here's the thing.  You're talking up Geno Smith like he's not terrible.  Like he's going to be the answer for the Giants.  And it sounds just like the Bills fans who were talking up Nathan Peterman a few weeks ago.  Except Peterman at least had the benefit of being an unknown and Geno does not. 

I really don't want to defend Geno Smith because I don't think he's the answer. But he played his career as a starter under an offense that was dreadful and under a coach who absolutely destroyed the career of every QB that played under him. Geno Smith does have some natural talent he just also had massive tunnel vision and had no help or direction on the Jets. Not saying that he's in a better situation under the current Giants, but he is someone you could envision as capable with a better coach and a better offense.

That said he's not the answer, he's not a better option to win than Eli, and he's probably not expected to be either.

8 hours ago, celestial said:

Beckham was unstoppable for a short time but teams have figured out how to limit him schematically. So Eli can't stare him down all day. Hence Eli's downward trajectory.

They have figured Beckham out? Damn Beckham must be by far the best receiver in the league then to still produce at such a level...

1 hour ago, Malik said:

Man Ben McAdoo may have just saved Eli's legacy. He now gets to have his twilight years as a martyr instead of a guy who was constantly missing the playoffs because or erratic regular season play.

That's actually a good point. Doubt it's the reason, but good point nonetheless.

The fact that McAdoo already told Eli that both Geno and Webb were going to see game action speaks volumes to where the G-men see this situation.  If they were really sold on Geno having any type of future, they wouldn't even be mentioning Webb. 

Frankly, given we know what Geno brings, it's surprising Webb isn't the guy they're going to.   

Mara's statement pretty much confirms what I thought. It was an ownership decision. It wasn't about who gives them the best chance to win, it was about evaluating for the draft. And they thought they were playing nice by offering him the start to keep the streak going. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

The fact that McAdoo already told Eli that both Geno and Webb were going to see game action speaks volumes to where the G-men see this situation.  If they were really sold on Geno having any type of future, they wouldn't even be mentioning Webb. 

Frankly, given we know what Geno brings, it's surprising Webb isn't the guy they're going to.   

I think it also speaks volumes to what they think of Webb. If they were sold on the rook, Geno isn't in the equation.

38 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I think it also speaks volumes to what they think of Webb. If they were sold on the rook, Geno isn't in the equation.

Entirely fair.  Let's face it, the 2018 starting QB for the Giants isn't likely on this roster.  It just seems we know what Geno is, while Webb hasn't been given a shot to show he's not the guy (but yeah, he's probably showing so little in practice to get this level of doubt).

5 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Odds are he's playing in California - either for USC or UCLA.

I think the Gmen and Den finishing in top 5 picks makes it a lock that Darnold declares - just a gut feeling, but I suspect Darnold's supposed hesitancy had to do with CLE as the only team in the top 5 at QB originally, along with BUF & ARI.   Personally I think CLE is on the rise, and a great landing spot team-wise (maybe not destination wise), but you can't beat NY for media hype / big city landing spot, and DEN probably looks a lot more attractive to WC guys than BUF/CLE do (nothing against the teams, talking WC preferences, and i say this as a guy who's lived on the EST all my life).

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Well said! It seems to me, after the yeoman-like job that Webby has done on this Forum over the years, he AT LEAST ought to be given a chance!!!

•  

Archived