Who will be picking first overall in 2024?

notthatbluestuff

Just now, NYRaider said:

Really? I think Chicago's pass catchers are significantly better. 

I think DJ Moore is the best receiver of the two teams, but the rest of their receivers are the same they threw out last season.  And they still have a runner throwing the ball. 

• Like 1

Just now, Louis Friend said:

I think DJ Moore is the best receiver of the two teams, but the rest of their receivers are the same they threw out last season.  And they still have a runner throwing the ball. 

Wasn't Mooney banged up for a good portion of the season? He was a 1k guy in 2021. Claypool didn't ever get going but we've seen him be a near 1,000 yard guy too.

15 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I don’t know. I like Carolina’s offense better if they draft Stroud. Carolina also has some good young defensive pieces. I think they are further along in the rebuild than Chicago. 

Yes and no, but mostly no.

Carolina finished 2022 slightly better than the Bears both individually (i.e. aggregate personal rankings, 31st to 32nd) and as a unit on the field (DVOAs, 28th to 30th).  That was months ago, though.

Flash forward to now.  Factor in free agency with Chicago's seven free agent starters, compared to Carolina losing their only remaining offensive threat, along with Chicago's humongous lead in draft capital, and the Bears should be half a league better than the Panthers.

35 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How is the offense a huge question mark?

At least 3 of the 5 OL spots are arguably replaceable, we have no idea who are starting 3 WRs are (Adams is a lock, Meyers may be aight, but we have huge ?'s after them given that Renfrow looked lost and may be gone and the other options right now are virtual unknowns), we have no idea of our TEs have anything left in the tank, Jimmy G may or may not show up and/or ball, we have Chase Garbers as a backup, and Josh McDaniels showed last year that his ability to call a full game without a defense backing him was suspect at best. 

8 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

At least 3 of the 5 OL spots are arguably replaceable, we have no idea who are starting 3 WRs are (Adams is a lock, Meyers may be aight, but we have huge ?'s after them given that Renfrow looked lost and may be gone and the other options right now are virtual unknowns), we have no idea of our TEs have anything left in the tank, Jimmy G may or may not show up and/or ball, we have Chase Garbers as a backup, and Josh McDaniels showed last year that his ability to call a full game without a defense backing him was suspect at best. 

As of now it looks like they have 4 OL that they're confident in that played pretty well last year with Miller, James, Parham, and Elu. 

Adams is obviously the #1 WR, Meyers is the #2, and Renfrow will be the #3 if he's still on the roster. Not sure how Meyers is a question mark he has produced every year and they just paid him, he'll have a big role. 

Hooper has always been serviceable and actually out produced Waller last season. 

Also not sure why Jimmy G would play poorly assuming he's healthy. He has always been pretty good.

I'm not sure if we'll be very good but I don't see anyway we're the worst team in the league. Our offense will be too good.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Who takes on that contract/what are they getting for him?

There are teams I believe that think he’s had horrible coaching and offensive lines his whole career and think he can get back to the first 10 games of 2021. I think he would need  to play at least a few solid games in December though 

Edited by CP3MVP

8 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

There are teams I believe that think he’s had horrible coaching and offensive lines his whole career and think he can get back to the first 10 games of 2021. I think he would need  to play at least a few solid games in December though 

We are 5+ years in though and he’s making Top 5 money. I don’t see that value personally 

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

As of now it looks like they have 4 OL that they're confident in that played pretty well last year with Miller, James, Parham, and Elu. 

Adams is obviously the #1 WR, Meyers is the #2, and Renfrow will be the #3 if he's still on the roster. Not sure how Meyers is a question mark he has produced every year and they just paid him, he'll have a big role. 

Hooper has always been serviceable and actually out produced Waller last season. 

Also not sure why Jimmy G would play poorly assuming he's healthy. He has always been pretty good.

I'm not sure if we'll be very good but I don't see anyway we're the worst team in the league. Our offense will be too good.

If James and Elu make you confident, I don't know what to tell you. 

Exactly, Meyers got paid. Big oof, imo. Paid WRs typically underwhelm. And being the brightest of a bunch of shiny turds at WR in NE gives me a little pause. We've seen firsthand how force-feeding a guy can elevate their stats without context. Even if Renfrow is our #3, he wasn't good last year and there's no guarantee he rebounds or fits the offense. 

The number of TEs that out-produced Waller last year is sad. That's like beating Christopher Reeves in a foot race.  Hooper hasn't topped 500 yards since COVID was but a twinkle in a bat's eye. Maybe he's good, maybe he's not, but he's probably just average. 

Jimmy barely stays healthy and hasn't been a consistent presence on offense. Until he proves otherwise, he's a ?. 

Seen our defense? Our offense wasn't even "bad" last year and we barely got out of having a top 5 pick. 

We were 6-11 last year. 2 wins came against Denver with a lame duck HC and endless dysfunction. 1 came against a tanking Houston. Got a lucky break against a doofus coach in Staley, and played a Matt Patricia offense. The Seahawks game was really our only impressive outing, and many teams have one of those each year. 

We could have very easily gone 3-14, which is what the Bears went. We've genuinely regressed across the board and McDaniels is now in year 2- history says he gets worse. I don't think 3-14 with our D is out of the question. A bad break or two on offense, we could be looking at a 1-2 win crapshow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

If Chicago is picking first again next season, do they move on from Fields? 

Almost certainly. Even if he has a season ending injury early, its tough to take on the risk of re-injury, AND passing up on someone like Caleb. Other option is he sucks and thats why they got 1

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

I think it was a pretty blatant tank. I dont believe they thought the #1 pick was available but they were trying to get a top 5 pick. For them to play ESB and Pettis more than Claypool after the trade was made too. Not one coach is snagging either of them over Claypool, hell he played like 20 snaps less per game in Chicago than he did in PIT this year. Any coach trying to win would tell him what route to run presnap before throwing those other two in as starters. 

Plus a bottom 3 passing OL should be much improved (or else Warren might have Poles and Eberflus over the fire so to speak). This year will show a lot more on what the staff's abilities and what Fields is as a QB. While I think Warren likes the moves Poles has made if Fields bombs this year I think they make a move up for the QB and have a new coach to replace Eberflus to develop him.

Plus after that 5 or 6 game stretch of averaging like 28ppg you could see the Bears have a big run or two from Fields and then would go completely conservative in the passing and running game. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Wasn't Mooney banged up for a good portion of the season? He was a 1k guy in 2021. Claypool didn't ever get going but we've seen him be a near 1,000 yard guy too.

Mooney was, and he is a much better #2 than a number one. Even though ARob mostly sailed it in his last year in Chicago, defenses accounted for him morenthan Mooney and that opened a lot up for him. Hopefully Moore gets to be that stud to run an offense through and Mooney/Claypool/Kmet get to take advantage of a lot of single coverage. 

48 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Almost certainly. Even if he has a season ending injury early, its tough to take on the risk of re-injury, AND passing up on someone like Caleb. Other option is he sucks and thats why they got 1

Agreed. If he gets injured it would be REALLY hard to pass on the top 2 guys for someone who is at the end of their rookie deal (minus the 5th year option) and still unable to prove he is a franchise QB. Bears completely mismanaged him and his rookie deal.  Noe is he electric, yes. But being electric alone isn't worth franchise QB money. 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Eh, he got halfway there during the 2nd half of last season. 0-7 to end the year? That’s usually a sign that a bottom is falling out.

I’m assuming Derrick Henry will be a draft day trade and Ryan Tannehill will have another injury that’ll give us more of the Malik Willis experience - there’s no Josh Dobbs to save them this time (somewhere, VanS is crying into his Teen Beat magazine).

Come on man. You know that the entire freaking team was injured. Not really on Vrabel lol.