Jalen Hurts and Eagles agree to 5 year $255M (179.3M gtd) extension

.Buzz

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I mean I get it that the $63M signing bonus is really low and most of the guarantees are based on him being healthy and on the roster, but it's Patrick freaking Mahomes, of course he's going to be on the roster on the first day of league year 2023...it's the same with Lamar. You're the franchise QB, the team isn't gonna cut you! It's a creative way of giving a QB $.5B while also working around the cap.

Which is why it's such a good value for the Chiefs and IMO is standing in the way of QB's getting fully guaranteed contracts.  Mahomes didn't get one and he's, as you said Patrick freaking Mahomes.  

Just saying - if I were in a position of QB or agent, I would be asking why he took that to help the team so much and that him not having it hurts my players or my ability to push for more.

As for Hurts - the structure is going to be important.  I got a feeling when we see this structure we're going to have a similar reaction to what we had with Mahomes.  "Woah he got paid".  "Wait a minute".  "Wow the team is really making out here".

• Like 1

NFL QB Existing: "Hey Im the 6th best QB in the NFL, thats pretty cool

NFL Front Offices: "Lets completely reset the market and make this guy the highest paid player in NFL history"

In all seriousness, great player and deserved to be paid. Glad Philly can lock in their guy who earned it

Just now, warfelg said:

Which is why it's such a good value for the Chiefs and IMO is standing in the way of QB's getting fully guaranteed contracts.  Mahomes didn't get one and he's, as you said Patrick freaking Mahomes.  

Just saying - if I were in a position of QB or agent, I would be asking why he took that to help the team so much and that him not having it hurts my players or my ability to push for more.

As for Hurts - the structure is going to be important.  I got a feeling when we see this structure we're going to have a similar reaction to what we had with Mahomes.  "Woah he got paid".  "Wait a minute".  "Wow the team is really making out here".

Well yeah Mahomes went his own route and did a record-setting deal in his own way. No QB has ever gotten $500M or 10 years.

I don't think he took that deal to help the team. I feel like he took that deal just to not have to come back 3 years later and re-negotiate again. But I'm not Patrick Mahomes so idk

He'll make double what Hurts does

Not within the same timeframe.

there's no way Hurts signs another massive deal in 4-5 years.

How could you possibly know this? 

• Like 3

Just now, malak1 said:
2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yes, yes, MY GOD… yes.

Then he's underpaid, imo. 

Oh… THAT’S what you were getting at! I was seriously about to punt a raccoon I was so upset at the question.

I go back to what Tom Brady did all those years - never being the highest paid QB but winning a lot of SB rings. 

By pure dollars and cents - yeah, he’s underpaid. But if you follow history, people don’t win a lot of Super Bowls (read: more than one) when they’re getting paid the most.

It’s all about priorities, I guess.

• Like 3

Just now, malak1 said:

Not within the same timeframe.

Even in the same time frame don't they make somewhat the same? Idk the yearly details of Mahomes' deal.

Just now, malak1 said:

How could you possibly know this? 

Hurts is another QB whose game isn't going to translate into his 30's and when his team starts to have to make crucial cuts to be under the cap.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It all comes down to what the player wants, honestly. Like we all just assume every guy wants to be the highest paid player ever every 3 years, maybe that's just not the case here.

We all "just assume" that since that's what the overwhelming majority of players want. There's a reason that every new contract resets the cap.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Oh… THAT’S what you were getting at! I was seriously about to punt a raccoon I was so upset at the question.

I go back to what Tom Brady did all those years - never being the highest paid QB but winning a lot of SB rings. 

By pure dollars and cents - yeah, he’s underpaid. But if you follow history, people don’t win a lot of Super Bowls (read: more than one) when they’re getting paid the most.

It’s all about priorities, I guess.

I agree with everything here. I was just stating that, if we go by the market, Mahomes is underpaid. I think the Chiefs are in good shape for the better part of a decade given Mahomes' contract. 

• Like 2

Just now, malak1 said:

I agree with everything here. I was just stating that, if we go by the market, Mahomes is underpaid. I think the Chiefs are in good shape for the better part of a decade given Mahomes' contract. 

100% agree, and I think Mahomes is in good shape. I mean - let’s be real, it’s not like his kids or his grandkids are going to have to take out student loans or finance a car.

He didn’t prioritize money in relation to what sort of return he could get - he prioritized positioning himself to win, and that’s something he does well.

No shame in his game, I say.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I mean I get it that the $63M signing bonus is really low and most of the guarantees are based on him being healthy and on the roster, but it's Patrick freaking Mahomes, of course he's going to be on the roster on the first day of league year 2023...it's the same with Lamar. You're the franchise QB, the team isn't gonna cut you! It's a creative way of giving a QB $.5B while also working around the cap.

Yeah it’s why I said that the 500 mill is basically fully guaranteed. He’s gonna hit all the escalators 

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Bingo. This is very reminiscent to Giselle’s ex-husband. Does anyone here think that guy wins seven SBs with market setting deals? 

Mahomes is obviously chasing a legacy here. When you get the glory the bag will follow you soon afterwards 

• Like 3