Jalen Hurts and Eagles agree to 5 year $255M (179.3M gtd) extension

.Buzz

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I was trying to find definitive proof but I heard rumors of them pushing him.  Plenty of players spoke out about him being underpaid along the way.

I guess I’d counter by saying the pushing was pretty ineffective. Brady did what Brady did, and I’m sure he’d tell someone in Mahomes’ position to hold firm to his decision.

1 minute ago, TOUCAN said:

A friend of mine in a group chat says that SiriusXM said he counts for 15.1 against the cap over the life of the contract per year. Can anyone confirm this? 

Oh that can’t be right… 

Just now, ET80 said:

I guess I’d counter by saying the pushing was pretty ineffective. Brady did what Brady did, and I’m sure he’d tell someone in Mahomes’ position to hold firm to his decision.

For sure.  I think the NFLPA is the "weakest" in terms of ensuring it's players get paid.  I remember then the MLBPA forced the A-Rod to Boston trade to not happen because he agreed to a pay cut.  NBPA literally changed the rules to get guys paid more (raised the age for max deals) and they push for as many max deals as possible by leveraging trades.  Heck even the NHLPA has ways to push for their players to get paid. 

NFLPA seems to be hung up on the wrong "pushes" (fully gtd money, big deals on paper) rather than what they should (highest paid stay highest paid, contract structures that benefit vets).  Heck they made a push for these rookie contracts to be limited and it didn't really increase the number of the rank and file to get paid more - just pushed more to the top 10% of players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Was there another extension between this and Watson that I'm forgetting or is this the first confirmation we've got that the market for elite 2nd deals for QBs is not fully guaranteed?

Russ and Kyler, I think?

5 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

Let me point out, this group chat has a ton of Philly fans and they have a tendency to boost. I searched it up, I can't find that anywhere.

Yeah, because it's not right lol. This is the best guess we've got so far until the numbers actually come out:

The funny thing is that normally when you give a guy a contract like this, when you structure the contract in such a way that the year 1 cap hit is as low as possible, you save money. Hurts was making pennies, so the Eagles actually cost themselves ~$2 mill in cap this year while still trying to keep his year 1 cap hit as low as possible.

47 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Just saying - if I were in a position of QB or agent, I would be asking why he took that to help the team so much and that him not having it hurts my players or my ability to push for more.

Because they took a chance on him when many doubted him. When he was just a system QB from Texas tech, a gun slinger who needed to sit a year, Andy Reid and the Chiefs moved up to draft him when they already had a guy who was a pretty good starter. 

he’s eternally grateful that he’s In the situation he’s in And surrounded by the coaches and players that helped grow into the man and player he is. So why not “help them out” while simultaneously making 500 billion dollars? It’s a win-win situation for everybody involved

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Knowing the situation as I’ve observed over the past few weeks - a Twitter meltdown by Lamar is all but promised within the next 72 hours.

And oooooooh, child… I’m here for it.

Hurts gave Lamar like Joe, like Justin plenty of time to get his deal done. Wouldn't doubt if this current contract was ready for Jalen to sign at 12:01 start of FA!!!! Howie always wanted Him signed before the others.

It's why the big 3 waited. Lamar Being Lamar as usual F'd it up. That's on him. He doesn't like it, hold out, don't sign your Tender or MTF up and stop thinking a Watson contract is now the norm!

The real Loser here is the Ravens FO just as it was years ago when Jerry Jones slow played Dak Prescott pre Giff/Wentz. Jackson could of been locked in for several years on the cheap, around $40M but no they had to let Murray, Wilson, Watson , Danny MF Dimes 👌 and now Hurts sign 1st. 

Wait till Joe and Justin sign. Ravens are F'd. Unless the plan is to let him walk, not pay him which I honestly believe was the plan from the jump. They were just hoping Lamar took the hit as the bad guy, not them? 

Edited by Nabbs4u

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

NFLPA seems to be hung up on the wrong "pushes" (fully gtd money, big deals on paper) rather than what they should (highest paid stay highest paid, contract structures that benefit vets).  Heck they made a push for these rookie contracts to be limited and it didn't really increase the number of the rank and file to get paid more - just pushed more to the top 10% of players.

The NFLPA completely screwed up by letting the league institute the rookie wage scale and keep the minimum salary down.

The league is spending all the money on the top 10% of guys because that's where the data say all the value is. That's not necessarily the NFLPA's fault, but them keeping the salary floor low has exacerbated the problem.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The NFLPA completely screwed up by letting the league institute the rookie wage scale and keep the minimum salary down.

The league is spending all the money on the top 10% of guys because that's where the data say all the value is. That's not necessarily the NFLPA's fault, but them keeping the salary floor low has exacerbated the problem.

Personally I don't think the salary floor is the issue.  I think it's that the value of the rookie contract is too good.  Like why pay a ST stud who can give you a little offense/defense a $2mil per year salary when you can get a UDFA for $550K over 4 years and use him on ST's and see if he brings any offense/defense value.  Because then you can take that $1.5mil savings and pay your WR1 more.  

9 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Because they took a chance on him when many doubted him. When he was just a system QB from Texas tech, a gun slinger who needed to sit a year, Andy Reid and the Chiefs moved up to draft him when they already had a guy who was a pretty good starter. 

he’s eternally grateful that he’s In the situation he’s in And surrounded by the coaches and players that helped grow into the man and player he is. So why not “help them out” while simultaneously making 500 billion dollars? It’s a win-win situation for everybody involved

This is something. 

• Like 4

Just now, warfelg said:

I think it's that the value of the rookie contract is too good.  Like why pay a ST stud who can give you a little offense/defense a $2mil per year salary when you can get a UDFA for $550K over 4 years and use him on ST's and see if he brings any offense/defense value.  Because then you can take that $1.5mil savings and pay your WR1 more.  

The rookie wage scale determines the salary floor.

Your example is precisely my point. In the era where that UDFA costs $1MM/year instead of $525k, there's less money remaining the pie for the WR1/QB1 mega-deal.

• Like 1