Jalen Hurts and Eagles agree to 5 year $255M (179.3M gtd) extension

.Buzz

I do love how everyone is assuming that Mahomes "himself" won't be going full Aaron Rodgers after all these other QB get paid. See the entirety of the 500M plus with Restructures coming?

As if he won't be the 1st $60-70M a year QB when "He Restructures" in the next season or two. That too is coming, believe that. 👌

Mahomes was the firsts to sign that massive deal, yes with plenty of wiggle room by him and his Agent to get Restructured down the line. It was never to be the 10-15th highest paid QB in the league 2-3 years laters. Let's be real 

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The rookie wage scale determines the salary floor.

Your example is precisely my point. In the era where that UDFA costs $1MM/year instead of $525k, there's less money remaining the pie for the WR1/QB1 mega-deal.

Yea my bad for misunderstanding what you meant there.  But yea NFLPA is the only one that does nothing to help their middle class.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Yea my bad for misunderstanding what you meant there.  But yea NFLPA is the only one that does nothing to help their middle class.

Oh no worries. To be fair to the NFLPA, it's tough to have a middle class when the league is 95% guys on their first contracts and then old folks who never leave (QB/LS/K/P).

But yeah they're going to need to spend a CBA undoing that mistake, and then another CBA to get back on track.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Oh no worries. To be fair to the NFLPA, it's tough to have a middle class when the league is 95% guys on their first contracts and then old folks who never leave (QB/LS/K/P).

But yeah they're going to need to spend a CBA undoing that mistake, and then another CBA to get back on track.

Add on more positions getting the "use and abuse, ditch at 30" tag.

Come into the NFL at 21/22.  5 year rookie contract up at 26/27.  Get a C2 that's a 2-3 year deal and now you are at an age no one wants you at because you are "over the hill".  Used to be your prime for any position was 25-33.  Heck, physically that's still 'prime' for male athletes.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, warfelg said:

How so?

Now all these average to below average QB will be paid a miniscule $25-35m a year and be looked upon as value deals by Organizations rather then the record setting highest paid QB in the NFL Jared Goff and Carson Wentz were just 4 years ago. 

You have a the ceiling of the legit FQB making 50-60M and Floors of a Rookie FQB contract.

The middle-class QB, OT,WR,CB,DL are eternally greatful for these deals becausetheirsalaries go up as well, believe that. Just not RB's!!!!!🍺

Edited by Nabbs4u

In a perfect world I would have liked to wait an extra year before giving Hurts the bag, just for peace of mind. We’ve seen more 1 year wonder MVP-caliber QB seasons in Philly over the past 15 years than most fans will ever see…. but given he doesn’t have that 5th year, it was the right move to lock him down to avoid any drama and get it in before Burrow or Herbert. Whoever signs last is probably the new “highest paid ever” (…until TLaw).

All this debate about Mahommes deal. Truth is, currently his deal is still good. The real issue is a few years from now. Daniel Jones just got 40mil per year....

Hows it going to look when dudes are signing for 60 per year in like 3 years 

9 minutes ago, drew39k said:

All this debate about Mahommes deal. Truth is, currently his deal is still good. The real issue is a few years from now. Daniel Jones just got 40mil per year....

Hows it going to look when dudes are signing for 60 per year in like 3 years 

It all depends on what Mahomes himself thinks. If he doesn't care, then it's a moot point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

100% agree, and I think Mahomes is in good shape. I mean - let’s be real, it’s not like his kids or his grandkids are going to have to take out student loans or finance a car.

He didn’t prioritize money in relation to what sort of return he could get - he prioritized positioning himself to win, and that’s something he does well.

No shame in his game, I say.

and there is still the possibility that Mahomes could in 2-3 years ask for a restructure on his contract.  If KC is winning AFC west titles, making deep playoff runs and winning super bowls, KC may be willing to accommodate that request.  

Right now, Mahomes is getting paid well, winning games and titles, building a legacy that is going to rival the top QB historically

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

For the record - I have no problem with Mahomes and the deal he took.  That's why (and to clarify for a 3rd time) I'm wondering if the NFLPA would push for something to happen there.

what are they (NFLPA) going to push for?

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

For sure.  I think the NFLPA is the "weakest" in terms of ensuring it's players get paid.  I remember then the MLBPA forced the A-Rod to Boston trade to not happen because he agreed to a pay cut.  NBPA literally changed the rules to get guys paid more (raised the age for max deals) and they push for as many max deals as possible by leveraging trades.  Heck even the NHLPA has ways to push for their players to get paid. 

NFLPA seems to be hung up on the wrong "pushes" (fully gtd money, big deals on paper) rather than what they should (highest paid stay highest paid, contract structures that benefit vets).  Heck they made a push for these rookie contracts to be limited and it didn't really increase the number of the rank and file to get paid more - just pushed more to the top 10% of players.

so if Mahomes pushes for more in guaranteed, it limits his teammates in being able to get their big paydays.  So how is the NFLPA going to push for 1 player to get a bigger/better contract at the expense of 10-15 players?