2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, G said:

If Campbell doesn't get hurt Hue probably makes it another season as we seemed like a good enough team. I don't know what happened in the building but it seemed like Hue saw an opportunity to make a splash and he got fired for it. I can't stand McDaniels but if he brings some stability to this franchise that would be great. I just don't think he'll be around long enough so I'd cut ties sooner than later so it's a catch 22 for me. 

Hue never wanted Palmer that was all mark. If the jmd thing blows up I’m kinda hoping mark sells the team 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Hue never wanted Palmer that was all mark. If the jmd thing blows up I’m kinda hoping mark sells the team 

Not sure about all that Hue was at SC when Palmer got there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

Not sure about all that Hue was at SC when Palmer got there. 

I’d really like to see the Raiders remain a Davis family owner franchise forever or at least my lifetime.  But Mark doesn’t have kids and ain’t going to have any at 68 years old so realistically he’ll only own the team for 10-20 years at absolute maximum.  With Mark moving the team to LV only 3 years ago and then buying the WNBA franchise he’s established himself in Las Vegas and I (just my opinion) wouldn’t be interested in selling any major percentage of ownership for at least 5 years.  Also, based upon reports the organization has made the major financial moves required to pay the inheritance taxes that will be due when his mother passes away And full ownership is transferred to him.  Thus, I think he will at least hold onto ownership through that period. 

I think Mark just doesn’t have what it takes to successfully run a franchise.  I think the best case scenario is Mark sells a large minority share, one that is large enough that they have the ability to change things, in the team to someone who eventually buys enough to be the majority owner when the time comes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’d really like to see the Raiders remain a Davis family owner franchise forever or at least my lifetime.  But Mark doesn’t have kids and ain’t going to have any at 68 years old so realistically he’ll only own the team for 10-20 years at absolute maximum.  With Mark moving the team to LV only 3 years ago and then buying the WNBA franchise he’s established himself in Las Vegas and I (just my opinion) wouldn’t be interested in selling any major percentage of ownership for at least 5 years.  Also, based upon reports the organization has made the major financial moves required to pay the inheritance taxes that will be due when his mother passes away And full ownership is transferred to him.  Thus, I think he will at least hold onto ownership through that period. 

I think Mark just doesn’t have what it takes to successfully run a franchise.  I think the best case scenario is Mark sells a large minority share, one that is large enough that they have the ability to change things, in the team to someone who eventually buys enough to be the majority owner when the time comes.

I too would like the team to stay in the Davis family, though Al gained control through some shady shenanigans, he was a groundbreaking owner and one who cared for the players and ex players specifically, totally unlike these modern billionaire owners who see only the dollars. We have an almost unique situation there. With that being said, Mark has certainly made mistakes and is naïve in certain ways but I think he is a good human being fundamentally.

What Mark needs IMO is a football guy through and through to help grease the gears between owner and football operations, kind of like a John Madden figure. Maybe a Charles Woodson to act as a go between and be a full time adviser. Maybe that’s what Marcell Reece was kind of doing?

Maybe what he could do if he’s not planning on having kids is similar to like the Packers did, cede control to the FF Forum on a share basis to run football operations, we’d at least have a decent draft then 😂😂

8 hours ago, G said:

If Campbell doesn't get hurt Hue probably makes it another season as we seemed like a good enough team. I don't know what happened in the building but it seemed like Hue saw an opportunity to make a splash and he got fired for it. I can't stand McDaniels but if he brings some stability to this franchise that would be great. I just don't think he'll be around long enough so I'd cut ties sooner than later so it's a catch 22 for me. 

Another missed opportunity I feel. We gave way too much for Palmer when we were desperate but after we got him I feel we should have built around him more as he went on to some very good results in that success starved team the Cardinals so he did have a number of good years left. Imagine if we actually built around him and instead of just throwing him to the wolves immediately, we eased him back in first season not straight away hoping for a miracle but with a plan for his second year with us, I think that could have worked and we could have been competitive for a good number of years.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I don’t think Marks selling anytime soon, it isn’t even about the money. He seems like such a simple/regular dude. It’s like you or I hit the lotto and decided to buy the Raiders. He’s living the dream, sitting in the owners suite, hanging out with the players and hitting PF Changs after. I actually like Mark, he ain’t the brightest, most innovative but dude listens and stays out the way for the most part. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I still stand our biggest draft needs 

• QB 
  • G - Van Wroten is a stop gap, and likely starts for one year 
  • DT
  • LB- need more talent. Maybe x2 

G may not be a need with Muti and Curtis both young and showing up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

QB, RB, DT, LB, CB look like they'll be our biggest needs. OG/OT could also be a need depending on how our young guys play. 

QB, RB, DT, LB, CB, S  are my targets, and maybe WR depending on the draft slotting and who declares. QB, obviously, if we finish high enough, but honestly I'd rather have a decent season and grab a QBOTF from outside the top 10- and this upcoming class looks ripe for that. 

RB, obviously. Jacobs probably won't be back long term. These situations almost never end in kumbaya. The rest of the guys are unproven, mostly, but there's potential. 

DT for now, but if our younger guys keep up the work, we might could punt on it. 

LB is my #1 need outside of QBOTF. It's a patchwork unit without any studs. Serviceable at best. 

CB because outside of Hobbs we have ?'s. We have some young guys who can still step up, but will they? And Peters is a good stop-gap, but for how long? 

S, I like right now. But Moehrig needs to ball out this year. Again, some depth guys I like, but no superstar potential I've seen yet. 

As for WR, I'm always willing to look. Adams is getting older and the rest of the guys are a mixed bag of decent-meh. It would be a luxury pick though. 

If I had to rank needs:

QB

LB

DT

CB

RB

S

Everything else. 

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

QB, RB, DT, LB, CB, S  are my targets, and maybe WR depending on the draft slotting and who declares. QB, obviously, if we finish high enough, but honestly I'd rather have a decent season and grab a QBOTF from outside the top 10- and this upcoming class looks ripe for that. 

RB, obviously. Jacobs probably won't be back long term. These situations almost never end in kumbaya. The rest of the guys are unproven, mostly, but there's potential. 

DT for now, but if our younger guys keep up the work, we might could punt on it. 

LB is my #1 need outside of QBOTF. It's a patchwork unit without any studs. Serviceable at best. 

CB because outside of Hobbs we have ?'s. We have some young guys who can still step up, but will they? And Peters is a good stop-gap, but for how long? 

S, I like right now. But Moehrig needs to ball out this year. Again, some depth guys I like, but no superstar potential I've seen yet. 

As for WR, I'm always willing to look. Adams is getting older and the rest of the guys are a mixed bag of decent-meh. It would be a luxury pick though. 

If I had to rank needs:

QB

LB

DT

CB

RB

S

Everything else. 

Imagine if Wilson pans out and we have one of The best edge combos in the league. Imagine if we came back and draft another DL, but this time DT. That would be amazing for the defense. I think Farrell and Nessa going be good NT. Man that DL would be Nasty. While I dream of having an all pro corner like Woodson/Nnanmdi, I do think Hobbs and Bennett can be good starting corners. I think we can find a good RB and Lbs in the middle rounds 

On 8/15/2023 at 5:21 PM, raidr4life said:

G may not be a need with Muti and Curtis both young and showing up.

While they could be starters it’s far more likely they end up as backups or even cut.  I don’t think you can disregard the need at G.  I actually like both players too.  

On 8/15/2023 at 1:34 PM, Humble_Beast said:

I still stand our biggest draft needs 

• QB 
  • G - Van Wroten is a stop gap, and likely starts for one year 
  • DT
  • LB- need more talent. Maybe x2 

We still need a bit of everything.

Without question we need a QB, possibly RB, a young stud WR, everything along the Oline minus LT, 3T, multiple LBs, a lockdown #1 CB and a stud S.  

On the bright side we have Maxx and a stud kicker!

29 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

We still need a bit of everything.

Without question we need a QB, possibly RB, a young stud WR, everything along the Oline minus LT, 3T, multiple LBs, a lockdown #1 CB and a stud S.  

On the bright side we have Maxx and a stud kicker!

long term there are needs, no doubt but there  are young guys in place in some of these positions that can develop, the roster isnt bare. 

QBoTF is #1, then CB1. I think with the OL they are taking an approach that the unit is better than the sum of their parts and wont commit too many assets there, i do think we need a long term RG, MIller and Parham are fixtures, James is solid and the hope is Munford, Curtis and Wagner can develop. DL has some upside and it seems they are killing it in camp. I think Spillane and Deablo can be nice, but the depth is worrisome, a 3rd starting caliber LB is needed (Burney had a nice debut). Moehrig is my pick to have a good year along with Epps. Add Smith and Pola Mao and i think we might be good at S. RB comes down to Josh, im not sold on the White or anyone else having to carry the load, if Jacobs situation ends ugly we need an RB1, not a superstar but someone that can be the lead back in a committee.  WR is not a need, Adams is in his prime and we have a young well rounded group. 

Ultimately, it comes down to development, for me. Theres young guys on the roster with upside. If we have a winning staff, a lot of these guys will hit. If not, they wont, and we will be in the same place weve been in for 20 years. 

Overall, im excited for this upcoming year. Were not SB contenders and going in i didnt really know what to make of the roster, but the reports out of practice and preseason debut have been positive. None of it matters if they stink it up week 1, but i feel better now than at any point in the offseason. I think Josh has the team sharp and competing(they whooped on the 9ers all week and they are supposed to be the one of the deepest teams in the league. I think this year we see some of the identity McD wants in his team. The young guys are doing well too so thats a testament to Zeigler. If youre only focusing on negatives, and tying that together with the teams recent history than yea, i see reasons for pessimism, but if were being fair, i think there a lots of positives as well. 

• NickButera locked and unpinned this topic