2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

James Williams is getting on my squad and being my new DeVondre.

Weee mock draft. I like those first 3 picks a lot. Guyton is what everyone hopes Rasheed could be, and he's barely played the spot.

Kinchens S

Guyton OT

Rakestraw CB

Maason Smith DT

Junior Colson ILB

Joshua Gray OT/OG

Edited by HighCalebR

Braelon Allen is 19 yrs old and 245lbs?

I'm going to assume he just gets bigger as he ages.   Le'Veon Bell is the only name that comes to mind as a back that was able to drop 20 lbs and became a superstar for a few seasons.     Anyone else worried in a couple seasons Braelon just becomes Fat Eddie Lacey?

50 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

I'm going to assume he just gets bigger as he ages.   Le'Veon Bell is the only name that comes to mind as a back that was able to drop 20 lbs and became a superstar for a few seasons.     Anyone else worried in a couple seasons Braelon just becomes Fat Eddie Lacey?

No, not at all. He is built beautifully. But for all that size he’s not a punishing runner. Is he fast enough to be Ryan Grant? He had better be, because he’s not very elusive. He needs a hole and two steps.

My concern for him is that he turns into John Clay and disappears.

I would consider Braelon in the 6th. 

Edited by Uffdaswede

2 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

No, not at all. He is built beautifully. But for all that size he’s not a punishing runner. Is he fast enough to be Ryan Grant? He had better be, because he’s not very elusive. He needs a hole and two steps.

My concern for him is that he turns into John Clay and disappears.

I would consider Braelon in the 6th. 

Not punishing OR elusive? I don't like that combo...

My most recent 4 round draft (PFN mock) gave me the picks below (comments in italics are from Draft Buzz). I felt the first four guys were on point (ie about where you expect them to go), though the last two seemed lucky to be there.

25  S Kamren Kinchens   (6'0", 205, 4.45, Miami) The top safety on this board (DeJean is considered a CB). Fast for a safety. Reads receivers' routes and anticipates throws at the first down marker. Covers a lot of ground in a hurry when in space. Reads the quarterback's eyes and sees the routes very quickly, then has straight-line speed to arrive with or just after the ball. Needs to learn to play with a little more control when going for the big hit.

41 C Sedrick Van Pran  (6'4, 310 Georgia) The top center on some boards (but 3rd best here).  Though he might fit better in a zone-blocking approach, Van Pran has the scheme versatility, football IQ, and instincts to serve as a reliable starter in any team. His stout build, combined with a strong, flexible core, serves him well, especially when dealing with larger defensive tackles. Prides himself in the run game, displaying tremendous physicality and playing through the whistle. As a cerebral player, he's quick to react to twists and stunts up front, displaying an excellent understanding of angles when moving out as a run blocker. Any of centers Van Pran, Frazier, or Powers-Johnson, would be great.

58 ILB Edgerrin Cooper (6'3", 230, 4.52 Texas A&M) Cooper chases well in pursuit, and has the athleticism to play in space if asked to drop into coverage. He’s very good in coverage when looking into the backfield in zone coverage. Shows toughness to get under the pads of tackles to bull them, club them upfield to get the inside lane, or fight through blocks for secondary rush when the passer steps up. He’s rangy and instinctive when he’s looking into the backfield as a zone defender. Maxed out size. Good inside blitzer.

88 CB (slot) Mike Sainristil (5'10", 182, 4.45 Michigan) Arguably the best slot corner in the draft. He can flip his hips and run, with good top-end speed and the length to make plays on the ball. Has the quick feet to mirror receivers underneath. He also has the fluid hips and top-end speed to turn and run downfield. He shows good awareness when dropping into zone coverage, with good route recognition and the ability to break quickly and cover a lot of ground. Explodes out of his backpedal and has exceptional closing speed, showing excellent timing and the ball skills to come up with the interception. Changes directions with ease and has the frame to hold up at any spot in the secondary. Instincts are outstanding, and he does an excellent job in route recognition. If you want someone sturdier, then go with Tykee Smith in round 4 (5'10", 205, 4.5 Georgia). If anyone can put the Packers 3rd round curse fully to bed, it's Sainristil.

92 NT/ DT Maason Smith (6'6", 315, 4.8 40 LSU) THAT speed at that size is awesome. His closing burst is outstanding, and Smith routinely finishes plays. He has some range and toughness as a run defender, showing the ability to set the edge, though he could work on his straight-line speed and tackling range. While his frame is relatively tall, he generally plays with adequate pad level and natural power to push the pocket with the bull rush. However, maintaining a lower pad level consistently could enhance his performance. Agile run-stopper at end, extends to grab backs from the backside and possesses foot quickness and hustle to chase plays downfield or to the sideline. A high-motor player who thrives on physicality, he’s generally able to fight and win in the phone booth, though there are instances where he could hold up better at the point of attack. His spin move is already NFL-caliber, and he displays a very good motor.

122 RB Blake Corum  (5'8", 213 4.38 Michigan) Boasts elite gym numbers with 30 reps at 225; 3-cone and shuttle times underline a rare combo of power and twitch. Shows an innate feel for the game; presses the LOS effectively, frequently getting to the second level with nuanced vision. Slippery in tight spaces; utilizes jump cuts, and stick-n-move agility to shake tacklers and find daylight. Plug-and-play versatility; fluid in both zone and power schemes, flashing adaptability for OCs to capitalize on. Leg churn and pad level are on point; often makes first tackler miss and can drop his shoulder to finish runs. I don't think he goes this late in a real draft, but even in real drafts guys can drop....

A bit of a defense-heavy draft, but got most of what I wanted, positionally. A top guard would have been nice but there were better options, and no Edge taken as eventual replacement for Preston Smith.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

Not punishing OR elusive? I don't like that combo...

That’s what I see.

I checked the webz to see how far off my assessment was. And found this:

Braelon Allen—>Not Elusive

Actually the report has him as a round 2-3 prospect. If he could be taught to run with lower pad level (Sit down Mike, I wasn’t talking to you.) he could replace Dillon.

As usual, someone else will scoop up Braelon a round before he hits Gute’s “Top Ten Remaining”.

I want to take a few swings at Aaron Jones’ replacement before we start looking for Dillon.

11 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

It depends on if you think Eddie was a good or bad pick.  A second round pick for 2 and a half good seasons at RB? Not the worst thing in the world, IMO.  In his first two seasons he had 2300 yards, 20TDs and nearly 700 yards receiving.  For comparison, that is just about the same stats Dillon has in four seasons.  If we could get 2 years of Eddie Lacy again, I am all for it. Best part of that is you never have to pay him either.  Just have to keep hitting your selections.

On 1/17/2024 at 1:02 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

Given the Enegbare injury and Preston's age I think we could be back in the Edge market.

One does not simply LEAVE the edge market.

But we did just draft LVN; let's see how that plays out with Preston playing 3rd fiddle or Cox or random veteran #3 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

Ummmm? This might take the cake for one of the worst takes on here.

E5QZQYsXoAYiGxB?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Ummmm? This might take the cake for one of the worst takes on here.

E5QZQYsXoAYiGxB?format=jpg&name=medium

Kid is super young, right?  No reason to think he isn't "moldable clay" for a RB coach.

It would be really nice to put him onto a team with an established, high end vet, like Aaron Jones.  

Make sure the kid doesn't have to do it all himself right away.

I dig it.

Also?  He related to David Boston?