2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

The one very small drawback at having so much young cheap talent at WR, I don’t see any way to keep 4 RBs on the 53. Hopefully we have at least 2 solid prospects on the PS because that position can lose its depth in a single half of play. We are likely to keep only 3/4 TEs but that is a tight fit also with how physical those guys play and the fact that they should be out there on ST, as well. 

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I know for sure that he had a concussion and then hurt his knee late in the year. Phil Mafah didn't start getting more carries until Shipley's concussion vs NC State. So they weren't splitting carries like CWood tried pointing out earlier.

Obviously, that doesn't account for his sub 4 YPC games early in the season but they were breaking in a new QB and I can tell you for a fact that their offense was a mess in September/October.

Regardless, look at his fit for what we do and not what he did at Clemson. Look at him through that scope and he pops for you on tape IMO. Definitely pops for me more than someone like Benson or Wright or Lloyd. He's a perfect pairing with Jacobs. 

I think I just need to watch more of him tbh.

3 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I think you have to weigh whether Shipley can handle the load at the next level.  You go in with the mindset if Jacobs goes out can Shipley be your bellcow if needed.  I like Shipley, he's got versatility and brings a lot to the field.  Good football player, just don't think he has the size and durability for what the Packers look for.  I wouldn't be disappointed if they took him, just don't think he's a guy you could give 15-20 carries in December if needed and stay healthy. JMO.

You just described Jones pretty well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

You just described Jones pretty well.

Jones was drafted by Thompson and McCarthy.    You aren't seeing those guys with Gute and MLF.  Its guys that can move the pile.  Dillon, Wilson, interest in Jonathan Taylor, Jacobs can be a workhorse.

Shipley could be fine for a dome team, but unless they change he doesn't fit what the Packers go for, at least since Gute has taken over.

I'd love to have a scatback back there, it's just not what the Packers do.  

27 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Jacobs has Dillon as an injury replacement.  GB needs a counter to those 2 body types.  

I'm not sure I understand the priority or value in having different-type backs?  Why should a team want different body types and running styles?  What thoughts or scenarios am I missing?

1. Personally, I think quick-and-shifty is always desirable.  Quick feet, quick COD.  If a "big back" lacks quickness to threaten outside, you're just making it easy on the defense.  Even the biggest Quadzilla doesn't plow over 250-320lb LB and DL guys.  Obviously blocking is crucial for everybody.   So sure, I'd love a quick-and-shifty quick-footed back who can also block, because that's just a good back.  [Jacobs, by the way, seemed enthused about our outside zone stuff.  If he's good, he's going to hav the quickness and decisiveness to make that work. ] 
  2. Big-back concept: a big back can be a short-yardage bruiser, and bash through on short-yardage?  And kill clock in 4th Q.  The Dillon concept.  But Blocking still needs to create a seam, and the back see and hit it..  Not sure Dillon did any better than Jones in goal-line or short yardage.  
  3. 3rd-down back:  MLF hasn't used that, right?  He gives guys full series, so can quick-sequence plays and prevent defense from switching personnel.  Even if we did use it, we'd use blocking backs = big backs.  
  4. Defensive matchups and outside zone?  Some defenses are more vulnerable to sweeps and outside zone?  Is that why we want a quicker back, for situational use?  
  5. Run what you practice?  Might it make sense of all backs fit what you do best and practice the most?  And can fill in when a guy gets dinged? 

Guess I'm not sure we need to draft a "different" back just to be different?  If we draft a good, quick, shifty back who can also block, I always love that.  

4 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I think you have to weigh whether Shipley can handle the load at the next level.  You go in with the mindset if Jacobs goes out can Shipley be your bellcow if needed.  I like Shipley, he's got versatility and brings a lot to the field.  Good football player, just don't think he has the size and durability for what the Packers look for.  I wouldn't be disappointed if they took him, just don't think he's a guy you could give 15-20 carries in December if needed and stay healthy. JMO.

I don't think he would ever be expected to carry the load rushing. Anybody they get is complementary to Jacobs and could split time with Dillon if Jacobs goes down. 

14 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I know for sure that he had a concussion and then hurt his knee late in the year. Phil Mafah didn't start getting more carries until Shipley's concussion vs NC State. So they weren't splitting carries like CWood tried pointing out earlier.

Obviously, that doesn't account for his sub 4 YPC games early in the season but they were breaking in a new QB and I can tell you for a fact that their offense was a mess in September/October.

Regardless, look at his fit for what we do and not what he did at Clemson. Look at him through that scope and he pops for you on tape IMO. Definitely pops for me more than someone like Benson or Wright or Lloyd. He's a perfect pairing with Jacobs. 

Shipley had between 15 and 19 carries in all but 5 games.  And of those 5, 3 of those games Clemson had a healthy lead by midway of the 3rd quarter.  Obviously, the NC State game he missed most of with the injury.  Including the NC State game, Mafah averaged 9 rushing attempts over 8 games.  After the NC State game, Mafah averaged 21 rushing attempts.  Using that same criteria for Will Shipley, he averaged 14 rushing attempts over 8 games before the Georgia Tech game, and he averaged 14 rushing attempts after the NC State game. That injury obviously opened up the door for Mafah to produce, and in the post-NC State game it was Mafah who got the majority of the rushing attempts.  Part of that was probably to protect Shipley, but part of it was the emergence of Mafah.

Did this mock at nflmockdraftdatabsse:

(25)  Amarius Mims - OT - Georgia

(41)   Edgerrin Cooper - LB - Texas A&M

(58)   Tyler Nubin - S - Minnesota

(88)   Jonathan Brooks - RB - Texas

(91)   Kris Abrams Draine - CB - Missouri

(126) Christian Mahogany - IOL - Boston College

(169) Mohamed Kamara - EDGE - Colorado St.

(202) Gabe Hall - DL - Baylor

(219) Dylan Laube- RB - New Hampshire

(245) J.D. Bertrand - LB - Notre Dame

(255) Jordan Whittington - WR - Texas

15 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Did this mock at nflmockdraftdatabsse:

(25)  Amarius Mims - OT - Georgia

(41)   Edgerrin Cooper - LB - Texas A&M

(58)   Tyler Nubin - S - Minnesota

(88)   Jonathan Brooks - RB - Texas

(91)   Kris Abrams Draine - CB - Missouri

(126) Christian Mahogany - IOL - Boston College

(169) Mohamed Kamara - EDGE - Colorado St.

(202) Gabe Hall - DL - Baylor

(219) Dylan Laube- RB - New Hampshire

(245) J.D. Bertrand - LB - Notre Dame

(255) Jordan Whittington - WR - Texas

Pretty similar to many of mine at NFL MDD. I would prefer someone else besides Mims at 25. Thinking that his weight(340+)isn't going to bode well for him going forward. I see lotsa knee issues in his future.

50 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Shipley had between 15 and 19 carries in all but 5 games.  And of those 5, 3 of those games Clemson had a healthy lead by midway of the 3rd quarter.  Obviously, the NC State game he missed most of with the injury.  Including the NC State game, Mafah averaged 9 rushing attempts over 8 games.  After the NC State game, Mafah averaged 21 rushing attempts.  Using that same criteria for Will Shipley, he averaged 14 rushing attempts over 8 games before the Georgia Tech game, and he averaged 14 rushing attempts after the NC State game. That injury obviously opened up the door for Mafah to produce, and in the post-NC State game it was Mafah who got the majority of the rushing attempts.  Part of that was probably to protect Shipley, but part of it was the emergence of Mafah.

Mafah got like 36 carries vs Notre Dame alone, the game Shipley missed. 

Shipley averaged over 6 YPC in the 3 games he came back after the concussions until the Gator Bowl in a role that would be very similar to what he'd have here. That's what I'm looking at. I don't care about anything else really, he thrived in that 1A/1B split with a bigger back. 

Give that man to MLF with Jacobs. 

Edited by beekay414

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Why isn't there more love for Braelon Allen from all the Badger homers?

I liked him until we brought back Dillon.  I think he would be totally redundant with Dillon on the team.  

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I liked him until we brought back Dillon.  I think he would be totally redundant with Dillon on the team.  

Maybe he's a 4th or 5th round upgrade?