2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

30 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Cooper is the only one I like at 41. If he's gone I agree, there should be good value in the late 3rd, with Jacobs, Ford, Colson, Knight and Gray all good value options at that spot in addition to the ones you mentioned. Then maybe strike again in the 5th or 6th with Magee, Wallace or Ulofoshio for depth. 

I love 230pnd Cooper, that is, in a traditional weak side backer role. But given I've read speculations they might want to move Quay to weak side, then  might it make more sense to target 245pnd Colson, say at #58 if he is there (to potentially play Middle or Strong side backer), rather than Cooper at #41? Then again, Packers brought Cooper in for a visit, so I might be completely wrong on what their plan is.  

Edited by DWhitehurst

Anyone else draft crush Javon Bullard? Given Gute’s love affair with Georgia I really hope GB drafts him.

I know they signed Nixon, but if they aren’t making the 2 safeties very different roles and wanted them to be versatile…. Bullard screams nickel (why I bring up Nixon) that can rotate to the post.

Just think he would be really fun in the secondary and he is apparently extremely football smart.

Edited by Green19
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Stupid food for thought- because I'm bored- but who wants to steal a QB like Joe Milton in the 3rd or 4th?

Yes to the idea.  Not sure on that specific prospect.

8 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

I love 230pnd Cooper, that is, in a traditional weak side backer role. But given I've read speculations they might want to move Quay to weak side, then  might it make more sense to target 245pnd Colson, say at #58 if he is there (to potentially play Middle or Strong side backer), rather than Cooper at #41? Then again, Packers brought Cooper in for a visit, so I might be completely wrong on what their plan is.  

Hard to tell really.  We are moving to a "4-3" but the reality is that we are going to be in nickel most of the time.  We don't really have a gauge on how often three LBs will be on the field.  It could be of utmost importance, or it could be a position that we can just get by with a 6th round pick.  Could be that Kristian Welch is just fine to be a strong side backer if that position is only on the field 7 times per game.

I do think that the team is higher on McDuffie than a lot of the fan base.  To me, De'Vondre Campbell wasn't bad last season, he simply wasn't worth the cap hit.  When they took Campbell out, and put McDuffie in, I couldn't really tell the difference.  McDuffie had 8 starts and 16 games played last season.  He finished with 86 tackles and played 48% of defensive snaps. 

2 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

Stupid food for thought- because I'm bored- but who wants to steal a QB like Joe Milton in the 3rd or 4th?

5th or 6th? Then yes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Green19 said:

Anyone else draft crush Javon Bullard? Given Gute’s love affair with Georgia I really hope GB drafts him.

I know they signed Nixon, but if they aren’t making the 2 safeties very different roles and wanted them to be versatile…. Bullard screams nickel (why I bring up Nixon) that can rotate to the post.

Just think he would be really fun in the secondary and he is apparently extremely football smart.

Yes! Just have a feeling that he is what we're looking for @Safety. All around solid safety/nickel back. One of our second round picks and I'm a happy camper.

I’d prefer a vet. Also, Joe Milton could overthrow the Ayatollah is the wind was right.

he’s an easy pass for me.  

Right idea, wrong prospect. 

• Like 1

I don't love the draft-QB idea much, as early as round 4.  Yeah, I know "Ron Wolf used to do it". But back then, they got an extra year of contract control, they had quarterback school, they practiced a lot, two-a-days, practices during the season, etc.  Plus they didn't block opposing scouts from practice.  There was much more opportunity to develop a guy; there was much more opportunity for an acquiring club to scout a guy; and with extra club control the trade value was much better for an acquiring team.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I’d prefer a vet. Also, Joe Milton could overthrow the Ayatollah is the wind was right.

he’s an easy pass for me.  

Yes, but can he overthrow Christian Watson?  That's what I'd like to see.

• Like 1