2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Jayden Daniels will be a 23-year-old rookie. Probably the only thing keeping him from being much higher ranked by these websites. I wonder where scouts have him ranked and how far down, they move him because of his age. Caleb Williams is 22 (we share a birthday, but I had it first LOL), Drake Maye is 21. 

If there were any way Daniels falls to the second round where we have our 1-SRP, I'm taking him. I don't see him getting there though. I got a feeling he's going to be a Viking. 

The problem isn't just his age.  It's the fact that he played okay (at best) at Arizona State, and then went to LSU and he suddenly is a Heisman candidate.  And it's not like the player himself changed drastically.  He was always a guy you were drooling on because of this athleticism, but he was short in terms of football skills.  This isn't the LSU of old that looked more like Iowa than USC.  Since 2017, LSU has been a top 40 team offensively all but 1 year.  During that period, they had Joe Burrow (2018/2019), Max Johnson (2020/2021), and Jayden Daniels (2022/2023) as their starting QBs.  He's shown quite a bit of growth, but he's still closer to his Arizona State days than he is Caleb Williams.  In terms of value, you can probably get him quite a bit later than Caleb Williams.

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Given our draft capital we should be able to snag one of those two if that's the true target.  We're going to have two 2nds, two 3rds and two 4ths.  

I mean, I think it's rather unrealistic but getting that kind of trade down value would be insane.  It'd need some team to really have a clear WR2 or EDGE1.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The problem isn't just his age.  It's the fact that he played okay (at best) at Arizona State, and then went to LSU and he suddenly is a Heisman candidate.  And it's not like the player himself changed drastically.  He was always a guy you were drooling on because of this athleticism, but he was short in terms of football skills.  This isn't the LSU of old that looked more like Iowa than USC.  Since 2017, LSU has been a top 40 team offensively all but 1 year.  During that period, they had Joe Burrow (2018/2019), Max Johnson (2020/2021), and Jayden Daniels (2022/2023) as their starting QBs.  He's shown quite a bit of growth, but he's still closer to his Arizona State days than he is Caleb Williams.  In terms of value, you can probably get him quite a bit later than Caleb Williams.

That is sort of what I said, he's a guy I'd take in second round. Also, the surrounding talent matters. I watched him a couple of games at ASU, you could see his talent, but not much talent around him.

Do believe he was a 5 star recruit coming out of high school in California. 

17 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Your problems with him is that he grew from his time at Arizona St and that he plays on a good offense ? Youre way off base on this one. I still think he overtakes Maye, but I’m very confident he’s a top 16 pick. 

Draft Needs:

QB only if Williams or Maye, likely requiring a trade up (boo).

RB, and I like those mid rounds to grab two. Willing to get Shipley for a 2 at the moment but it’s RB so its losing every tiebreaker on the draft board.

WR only a true WR1 as in Harrison, possibly one or two other freaks.

TE gotta think they don’t want to spend another early pick with Musgrave a bonafide thug, plus Kraft developing.

OL can be drafted anytime, and up to three times prior to round 6 depending on Myers/Runyan FA.

DL depends on coordinator, possibly early, possibly none.

LB same as DL but should be someone at least.

DB an absolute slugfest multiple DBs anytime. 

• Like 1