2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

7 hours ago, Leader said:

Knowing how Gute disregarded the WR room for so long, I suspect he's gonna consider it packed to he gills now (and in many ways it is.....) - and - I'd be more than fine with it - IF - Watson could stay healthy.

I've seen nothing in his Packer history (and dont have a clue about his college days) that would indicate he can in fact stay healthy.

I'm always interested in seeing top line skill position guys added to the roster....but I suspect this will not be the year thats done in the WR room.

Dunno Leader those hamstrings can be a beotch.  Robbed Kevin King.  Also Clay Matthews.  Can become a chronic issue. I'm very concerned about Watson's ability to stay healthy.  We have enough guys where we could take a wait and see but his first two seasons have been pretty rough on the injury front.  If you can get a similar player in the draft I'd say go for it.  Not a huge need at the moment but if the value is there well?  All that being said I doubt we'll take another WR either.  If we had only taken Pickens instead 😁

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

One of my favorite late day 3/priority UDFA guys this draft is Boston College CB Elijah Jones. He's an older prospect but the kid can play. 

We will need as much help there as we can get and if we find a few late round gems, get Gute a statue.  He’s done well bringing in some young talent. TT found Tramon and Shields outside of the draft. Gute bringing in Sul had shades of that but we let him go. If we bring something of value back for that pick I’ll be very happy. Letting good, relatively cheap corners walk is not usually a winning strategy.  

13 hours ago, beekay414 said:

One of my favorite late day 3/priority UDFA guys this draft is Boston College CB Elijah Jones. He's an older prospect but the kid can play. 

If Jones is his middle name and Craig is his last name, then absolutely.  And I shall call him, Barrel Proof.  Or Small Batch.

I hate our where we're likely going to be picking. Late teens and early 20s in this draft isn't going to be great.

So thought exercise: who is worth using that sweet extra draft capital to move up for?

For the sake of argument:

19+40 = #8
19+51 = #11
19+40+51 = #5 (value is closer to #4, but let's say it's a four player draft and #4 costs a premium)
40+51 = #18
40+51+83 = #15

30 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

I hate our where we're likely going to be picking. Late teens and early 20s in this draft isn't going to be great.

So thought exercise: who is worth using that sweet extra draft capital to move up for?

19+40 = #8
19+51 = #11
19+40+51 = #5 (value is closer to #4, but let's say it's a four player draft and #4 costs a premium)
40+51 = #18
40+51+83 = #15

Only player I'm moving up for his Joe Alt if he starts to fall.

53 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

Nobody.  It's not a great draft, especially on the defensive side of the ball.  QB class looks pretty good, WR looks strong, and OT class looks strong.  RB class is bad, TE class outside of Bowers is meh, and IOL looks decent enough.  The defensive is rough.  DT class is bad outside of Newton, EDGE class seems very top heavy and lacks significant production, LB class might be one of the worst in recent memory, CB class lacks star power at the top and and depth, and safety class is a lot of meh.

• Like 2

I think both Odunze and Nabers are future stars. Clear 1A options you pencil in for multiple pro bowls. I'd probably use a 2nd to go up and get one or the other. I like our WR group a lot, but having a true #1 would open things up even more and let the team move on from Watson. 

The other move I'd probably be tempted to do would be to double dip into late 1st DBs. Similar to what GB did when they took Raji and then used #41, #73, and #83 to go back up to #26 for Matthews. I think the run on CBs starts in the back half of round one. Given their needs, take two of them. 

Edited by ReasonablySober

1 hour ago, ReasonablySober said:

19+40 = #8
19+51 = #11
40+51 = #18
40+51+83 = #15

Yeah I'm with CWood. Moving up would be for WR, LT, QB, or EDGE. I think I'd much rather go down than up. 

32 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The 3 mid 1st RT's (Fuaga, Mims, Latham) have now all officially declared. Going to be a monster OT class. 

Latham's going to want to burn the Michigan tape...