Nacho Simulation Football League (Season 26 - Taco Bowl XXVI Posted!)

WEEK 6 POWER RANKINGS

1. Rio de Janeiro Pirates (5-0, LW:2) - Rio survives upset week and claims what many may have felt was their rightful spot at the top of the rankings.
2. Hamilton Hornets (4-1, LW:1) - A tough loss to Egypt. They just didn't bring the right gameplan to feel comfortable.
3. Phoenix Rubber Ducks (4-1, LW:3) - A loss to Berlin still keeps them in 3rd place as every team in the top 8 but Rio lost.
4. Lake Minnesota Ice Orcas (3-2, LW:9) - Lake Minnesota is looking mighty fine with wins over the Royals and now the Blobfish.
5. Reykjavík Direwolves (3-2, LW:6) - It's weird moving up a spot this high with a loss but they only lost to the top 2 teams and almost had them both beat while beating the next team on the list.
6. Berlin Beer Bellies (3-2, LW:11) - Holy **** is this an overreaction like Tokyo was a few weeks back? I don't care. A great win vs Phoenix gives them the best win anyone with a winning record has in the league.
7. Indianapolis Predators (3-2, LW:8) - In a week full of upsets the Predators can be forgiven for having to come from behind and force OT to win their game.
8. New Zealand Blobfish (3-2, LW:4) - They had the win but blown coverage allows a late deep game-winning touchdown pass to Kyle Pitts.
9. Little Rock Uni Royals (3-2, LW:5) - Normally allowing your opponent to settle for FGs is a good thing but you can't just do nothing on offense while allowing your opponent to get 3 of them in the 4th quarter when only up 8.
10. Greenland Polar Bears (3-2, LW:7) - The Polar Bears tried to steal another one. They got a late TD and recovered the onside kick but just ran out of time in Walrus territory.
11. Hanoi Viet Kongs (2-3, LW:13) - It was a blowout even after the garbage time TD they allowed. They still need a result vs a team with a winning record but they are looking good.
12. Egypt Starfalls (2-3, LW:15) - Egypt brought the nastiest run defense of the season out and locked up the big win.
13. Anchorage Amphibians (2-3, LW:17) - Great job doing just enough to kick their way to victory. Suddenly things aren't looking so bleak anymore.
14. Wattsville Waste Walruses (2-3, LW:18) - Excellent game. They almost let it slip away at the end but they did well enough early to keep the Polar Bears at bay. A quality win makes them rethink any ideas of tanking.
15. Tokyo Samurai (2-3, LW:10) - Things really haven't been going well lately with 3 straight losses. There are rumours they are contemplating a tank.
16. Burlington Sock Puppets (2-3, LW:12) - Sock Puppets got socked.
17. Lancaster Fighting Amish (1-4, LW:19) -  Lancaster finally gets a win! They are still dead last in the standings but who cares! This team is likely better than their record.
18. Copenhagen Tables (1-4, LW:14) - A tough loss after having the lead in the 4th and OT. The Tables have been in every game since their week 1 loss to the Pirates but they need some more results.
19. Freiburg Venom (1-4, LW:16) - They may have just lost to the team right below them but they have shown more life lately so they avoid the bottom for now.
20. Scranton Papermakers (1-4, LW:20) - Beating Stetson Bennett isn't getting you out of the bottom. Freiberg needs to try less even harder after beating #4 Lake Minnesota in order to take the bottom spot from these paper-cut hands.

Edited by LAOJoe
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, LAOJoe said:

Chase Claypool was drafted for a reason. It's not a fluke. Someone else unlocked his sauce earlier and I just piggybacked it. I forgot to actually set my sliders to throw the ball and I got stuffed a ton.

suspicious-ned-flanders.gif

Returner:
Chase Claypool [11 GS]: 64 returns for 1,216 yards (19.00 YPR, 105 LNG), 1 touchdown.

• Like 2

Talking about punters, we've got a lot of punters clustered together for 2nd best doing well above average compared to other years but then there is Phoenix with Jack Fox with an over 50 yard average.

49 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

Talking about punters, we've got a lot of punters clustered together for 2nd best doing well above average compared to other years but then there is Phoenix with Jack Fox with an over 50 yard average.

Punting to me has always been about putting it inside the 20. Avg doesn't really matter tbh. I build my defense to take advantage of that fact.

2 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

Punting to me has always been about putting it inside the 20. Avg doesn't really matter tbh. I build my defense to take advantage of that fact.

I sort of thought so too, before this year. Tress Way's horrible average was an accurate reflection of just how ineffective he was. Many of his punts from our own half went for 35-40 yards.

8 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I sort of thought so too, before this year. Tress Way's horrible average was an accurate reflection of just how ineffective he was. Many of his punts from our own half went for 35-40 yards.

Inside the 20 feels like it has more to do with the strength of your special teams stopping a return than the punter honestly.

EDIT: But yes the average can be affected negatively if the punt is short, but that is mitigated some if you attempt to kick FG from close to 60 yards.

Edited by LAOJoe

With his team's back against the wall, trailing by 3 in OT, Justin Herbert responded by marching the Predators down the field and winning the game. Went 7/9 for 92 yards and a TD on final drive. Went 4/7 for 56 yards and a TD in the prior drive, trailing by 7 with 2:25 left.

On the season:

Justin Herbert [5 GS]: 113/173 (65.32%, 102.69 Rating) for 1,437 yards, 11 touchdowns, 4 interceptions. 9 carries for 38 yards (4.22 YPC, 13 LNG), 0 touchdowns, 1 fumble.

Doing this with arguably the worst WR group in the league among non-tanking teams. All while run game has been putrid. If he stays near this pace and Predators are in the postseason, there's only man deserving of a hypothetical Nacho MVP...

The magic and mystery of Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert -  ESPN

Spoiler

I know I just bashed the WR group but shout out Robert Woods, coming up huge with 3 catches for 46 yards and a 3rd down TD in Predator's GW drive in OT.

Robert Woods Makes Sweet One-Handed Grab

• Like 2

Rookie TE at WR: My Findings

Through the first five weeks of S26, I've had a rookie TE starting at WR3. I was warned that rookie TEs lack receiving attributes that'll make them liabilities at the WR position but felt that the tag savings were more important and decided to use this season as a test.

First of all, the receiving numbers:

Sam LaPorta [5 GS / 3 GSWR]: 4 receptions for 56 yards (14.00 YPR, 16 LNG), 1 touchdown, 1 drop.
Michael Mayer [5 GS / 2 GSWR]: 4 receptions for 62 yards (15.50 YPR, 20 LNG), 0 touchdowns, 1 drop.

Some big plays with decent YPR numbers. The drops aren't ideal but have to be expected with a young player. Looking at just those stats, I'd have to conclude that I don't really see a rookie TE at WR as an issue.

That being said, I noticed that I was seeing a bunch of "can't find an open receiver" ("CFOR") sacks and decided to look into it.

Through five games, Tannehill has been sacked 14 times, which is tied for 3rd most in the league. I don't have an elite offensive line or anything, and I didn't expect McGary to be an elite pass-blocker, so I'm not necessarily surprised. Looking deeper, those 14 sacks were distributed as follows:

CFOR: 6
HBTL: 4
PMB: 4

Almost half of the sacks are of the "CFOR" variety, while "holds the ball too long" accounted for four, and "player missed block" accounted for the remaining four. Seems like a staggeringly high number of "CFOR" sacks, and, with Robinson and Thielen starting at WR1 and WR2, I can't put the blame solely on them.

Conclusion: although it's a limited sample size, I have to conclude that the vacant wide receiver attributes for a rookie TE reflect in increased "CFOR" sacks. I could be completely wrong, and I'm not going to take the time to deep dive into another team's sacks to see if "CFOR" sacks are common across the board, so I'll just leave it here until the final seven games conclude and I can compare the sacks during that stretch.

• Like 2

it's small sample size, but if you compare those guys to all the other WR3s in the league, they are far and away the worst...

even if you add them together (which probably isn't even fair because some of those stats may have accumulated in their other roles on the weeks you don't have them at WR3, then 8 receptions for 118 yards, 1 TD, and 2 drops is definitely bottom 2 production for WR3s through the first 5 games

Now... these are rookies.. if you put GOOD tight ends in that slot, it might tell a different story.. but my takeaway from the stats you posted is that these guys are not doing the job very well (at least on the receiving side)

Edited by Tk3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

it's small sample size, but if you compare those guys to all the other WR3s in the league, they are far and away the worst...

even if you add them together (which probably isn't even fair because some of those stats may have accumulated in their other roles on the weeks you don't have them at WR3, then 8 receptions for 118 yards, 1 TD, and 2 drops is definitely bottom 2 production for WR3s through the first 5 games

Now... these are rookies.. if you put GOOD tight ends in that slot, it might tell a different story.. but my takeaway from the stats you posted is that these guys are not doing the job very well (at least on the receiving side)

I mean, if we're basing it only off production, I can't blame the WR3 of a run-heavy offense for not producing more. Frankly, I'd love for them to never see the field.

Comparing all of the WR3s:

FNAME LNAME GS REC YDS YPR LNG TD DRP REC/DRP FUM
Odell Beckham [5 26 284 (10.92 22 2 1 26  
Robert Woods [5 20 250 (12.50 28 3 3 6.666666667  
Darnell Mooney [5 17 246 (14.47 31 2 4 4.25 1
JuJu Smith-Schuster [5 18 245 (13.61 30 2 1 18  
Diontae Johnson [5 20 238 (11.90 28 1   20 1
Allen Lazard [5 19 230 (12.11 24 1 2 9.5  
Marvin Jones [5 16 221 (13.81 31 1 2 8 1
Zay Jones [5 20 212 (10.60 22 1   20  
Calvin Ridley [5 14 195 (13.93 29 0 1 14 1
Julio Jones [5 10 188 (18.80 50 2 2 5  
Jordan Addison [5 16 186 (11.62 23 2   16  
Hunter Renfrow [5 15 186 (12.40 23 1   15  
John Metchie [5 14 184 (13.14 21 1 1 14  
Gabriel Davis [5 12 174 (14.50 29 1   12  
Donovan Peoples-Jones [5 11 145 (13.18 26 1 1 11  
Jahan Dotson [5 12 139 (11.58 29 0 1 12  
DeVonta Smith [5 12 134 (11.17 24 0   12  
Michael LaPorta [5 8 118 (14.75 20 1 2 4  
Treylon Burks [5 9 114 (12.67 18 0 1 9  
Curtis Samuel [5 9 90 (10.00 21 2 2 4.5  

They have the 3rd fewest yards but the second-highest YPR. Their rec/drop stat, a stat that I put a lot of weight in, is the worst in the league. No fumbles, so that's nice.

Comparing them to, say, Darnell Mooney: Mooney has significantly more receptions and yards, but four drops and a fumble. I'd much rather have fewer stats all-around than more positive and negative from my WR3, assuming I like my WR1 and WR2.

In short: getting big plays from my WR3 is nice, and they're providing those. The drops are bad, which I sort of expected. The fact that they're not a complete dumpster fire is a surprise (although, if those "CFOR" sacks are on them, it would change the conversation).

In the name of saving those sweet, sweet tags, I'll certainly take it.