Rank Your Team's Position Groups

onejayhawk

Browns:

QB: B- is a safe bet, but this is volatile. 
RB: A+
WR: B-
TE: A-
OT: B
IOL: A+

DE: A-
DT: C
LB: C-
CB: A
S: B. 

ST Kicking: C
ST Returns: C-
DT Coverage: B

I feel very good about those rankings, but obviously Watson at QB could vary from A+ to F based on what we’ve seen from him historically vs. last year. 

Titans are tough. So many question marks. I guess I’d go:

1. DL: really thin, and free agency will be a problem next year, but the starting three are all excellent.

2. RB: Henry has lost a step, but he’s still a beast. Between him, Haskins, and Spears, they’ll be a great group.

3. S: Byard and Hooker are one of the top duos in the league when healthy. If Molden moves here, this group could go higher.

4. Edge: Getting Landry back is enormous. Key and Weaver are both good players.

5. QB: Everyone knows what Tanny is. Willis and Levis both have big upside if they can make something of themselves.

6. ST: Stonehouse is an elite punter, and Cox is one of the best long snappers, but we have two unknowns battling it out for kicker, which is the most important position of the three.

7. LBs: Al-Shaair is a question mark, as is Rice. But there’s good tape for both. Some young promising guys that could be decent behind them.

8. CB: Really variable here. Young group with lots of high picks, but Fulton’s the best one, and availability has been an issue for him.

9. TE: Okonkwo is a beast, but there’s nothing sure there other than him, and he’s just in his second season.

10. OL: Lots of question marks and none look particularly promising. Maybe Skoronski.

11. WR: I don’t know of a team with a worse situation here.

Edited by Daniel
Forgot to include special teams

VIKINGS [short term // long term]

QB - B // D

Kirk’s a known commodity. He’s most likely in his last year with the team, but I don’t see our resources being good enough to secure a promising successor.

HB - C- // C-

We’re aligned with the majority of the league that should be around this grade. Our backs are young and have many rookie years left on their contracts cumulatively… but there’s limited upside.

WR - A- // A-

Justin Jefferson is in contention for WR1. Addison is a rookie so there’s projection there. KJ Osborn is a good #3 but is in the last year of his contract. No one else of note.

TE - B // B+

Hock will probably continue status quo (I.e., top top TE whose a security blanket in our scheme). We signed Ravens’ Josh Oliver…. there is a lot of projection when looking at his contract and his stats.

OL - B // B-

We’ve slowly built this unit and it’s probably the best it will be with this core (Ezra may be a cap casualty as his contract nears its end and I hope someone somewhere challenges Bradberry for the C job in the long term). It’s a bit messy with two power man players in Darrisaw and Ed Ingram and the rest being extremely zone oriented. All that said, all five guys have good talent and our tackles are very good. Darrisaw can be as good as his health allows.

DL - B- // D-

This grade is in immediate jeopardy with Hunter’s status. We have Davenport and Harrison Phillips for a couple of years. We have nothing else of note and I expect none to be Vikings in two years.

LB - D+ // C

Again kind of getting in line with other teams after our last regime overemphasizes Barr+Kendricks. We have low-end FA but still young Jordan Hicks and promising sophomore Brian Asamoah. Nothing else.

DB - D // D

Lumping CB and S together because they’re equally bad and shallow. The good news is we acquired Byron Murphy. The bad news is Harrison Smith is near his end and sophomores’  Lewis Cine and Andrew Booth, while can certainly show up, didn’t show anything good when healthy and are a bit of damaged goods.

AZ: Roster is gutted this year. Gonna grade on production and likely potential because there are so many young unknowns on this roster. Of course, potential is subjective and anyone could say every team with unknown quantities has elite potential. I'm leaning more towards reasonable expectations (for example, consensus and college tape says Garrett Williams will be a good CB in the NFL, but probably won't be an all-pro. Likewise, Kei'Trel Clark should be an above average slot corner in coverage, but he's pretty much slot only.). 

SCALE: S (ELITE) A (EXCELLENT) B (GOOD) C (FAIR) D (SUBSTANDARD) E (BILLY PRICE)

QB: C/A - Can the Cardinals start the season with Kyler at QB? If he does return at any point this season, how will he move? Kyler has been regarded as one of the most elusive QBs behind the line - ever. Will Colt McCoy even be healthy enough to start? Do the Cardinals have to start Clayton Tune? Tune has been getting all sorts of praise during the off-season and was a sleeper in the draft, but he has similar arm strength to a Bailey Zappe or Nick Mullens. The pro is that he's both accurate and mobile. Still, this team needs Kyler back - HEALTHY - ASAP.

RB: C/C+ - James Conner is a plodder who doesn't create in the running game. He only takes what he's given unless it's a goal-to-go situation - in which case he's above average, but not as good as the 2021 box score would lead you to believe. He has soft hands, but little lateral ability. And who is playing behind him? 

WR: B/B+ - Hollywood Brown can be a number 1 wide receiver, health permitting. Lot of "ifs" in this WR room. The three most productive wide receivers all have proven their ability in games; they're each undersized and have dealt with injuries up to this point. The tallest is 5'9" Hollywood Brown, the most durable is 5'7" Greg Dortch, and the most enticing is 5'7" Rondale Moore. The team added Michael Wilson in the draft, someone who blew up the Senior Bowl, has aced every interview, and was considered a steal in round 3. HOWEVER his college stats are underwhelming after dealing with THREE season ending injuries in a bad offense. Wilson has a shot to start as early as this year, and provides excellent hands, advanced route running, great understanding of leverage, and size to high-point the football. Lots of guys who can get open, catch the ball well and create after the catch. Lack of reliability and durability.

TE: B/S - Zach Ertz is recovering from a season-ender and is older, but has shown he can still produce as an ultra-reliable intermediate threat. Trey McBride is already a reliable blocker, has a sky high ceiling and has shown glimpses of the receiver who carried his college passing game.

IOL: C/B - Paris Johnson playing on the left side of the center this year certainly helps the outlook. Jon Gaines is versatile and should be able to provide stability at one of the three spots - perhaps center? Both are rookies expected to be replacing long-term LG Justin Pugh and C Rodney Hudson. Who is the third man? Will Hernandez? Hjalte Froholdt? 

OT: B/A 

DT: E/C

DE: D/A

LB: C/B

S: S/S

CB: D/B

ST Kicking: C/B

ST Returns: C/C

ST Coverage: B/B

Edited by HoboRocket

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

You can numerically rank them if you wish. The idea is to make tiers--Elite, Excellent, Good, Fair, and Substandard

The groups are:

QB - good (I'm a believer in Fields, but wouldnt argue fair rankings at all). Can't rank higher without Fields playijg more consistently though.
WR - excellent if Claypool and Mooney are healthy. Moore is the best WR the Bears have had since BMarsh. Two young WRs with speed for days as depth.
TE - good to fair. Kmet and Tonyan are a solid duo but not going to be focal points. Kmets blocking helps me push it to good.
RB - high end of fair. Two top guys have one year of peoduxtion and most are pretty one dimensional. Seem like all are good scheme fits. I think Johnson gets limited reps but like him.
IOL - Good. With Jenkins healthy to pair with Davis I could see this being great, but his health is a concern and Whitehair is the standard band aid option.
OT - fair. Jones was damn good for a rookie and was a steal in the 5th but got bullied by power too often. I was a huge fan of Wright all season but until he plays I can't rank too highly.
DT - good. A lot of talent as a whole, several good players for a specific role. Dexter is a wildcard that I was also a huge fan of predraft. Pickens and Dexter likely need 2-3 seasons to really develop though.
DE - substandard. Weak link of the entire team by a large margin. Dexter may have to play DE on passing downs if Gipson doesn't rebound.
LB - excellent. No top 5 talents but Edmunds and Edwards are great talents that can cover and Sanborn getting moved the the SAM is perfect for him. As a group I wouldn't argue against elite either.
S - fair. EJax seemed to have a resurgence but had a major injury. Brisker played well overall but struggled vs the run a LOT.
CB - fair. Johnson is a really good cover CB but doesn't get many turnovers and also misses a lot of time. Talent is there but like Jenkins he just hasn't been able to stay on the field. Gordon played better later and there is young talent but need to see them in the pros before making claims. CB is brutal to transition to.

ST Kicking - fair. Santos was great inside of 40 but has no leg strength. The Chad Pennington of kickers. Gill is someone who is mid at his best, I wouldn't blink at news of an UFA taking his role.
ST Returns - high fair - a lot of speed and potential but let's see it go through.
ST Coverage - fair. Not sure exactly but DHC is gone and was a longtime mainstay. Shouldn't be a ton lost though.

Got the Bears ranked above.

• Like 2

Chiefs 

Elite - QB, TE, IOL
Excellent - LB, CB
Very Good - RB, WR, DT,  
Fair - ???
Substandard - None
Hard to tell - OT, S, ST

As befits a reigning champion, the Chiefs are fairly stacked. At this time last year, they would have graded much worse, eg CB and ST would have been fair at best. They lost Tyreek Hill and CB Charvarius Ward, who had a Pro-Bowl level season with the 49ers. This season, not so much. 

Any uncertainty comes from FA signings and less proven 2nd-year players or rookies. Examples of FA include both OT and S Mike Edwards. Unproven 2nd-year S Bryan Cook, Wayan Morris, and several special team players. I think Fair is the worst to expect and OT could be very good. 

I have to admit that I did not expect the Chiefs to challenge for a title last season. The schedule was historically difficult. Holes at CB, RT, and all through the ST, uncertainty at WR, S, and DL, and Travis Kelce's age bespoke looming trouble. Instead, the WR sorted out, Kelce was Kelce, and the team played rookies the 3rd most of any team in the league. 

This season the uncertainty is less and the rookies are blooded. The offense should be comparable while the defense and ST could be a lot better. Is anyone up for a second Lombardi trophy?

Jets

Tiers: Elite (Top 5), Excellent (5-10), Good (10-15), Fair (15-20), Substandard (20-32)

QB: Elite/Excellent - Aaron Rodgers
Mahomes, Allen, Borrow, Hurts... Rodgers/Herbert/TLaw is a toss up for me

WR: Good - Garrett Wilson, Corey Davis, Allen Lazard, Mecole Hardman

TE: Good - Tyler Conklin, CJ Uzomah, Jeremey Ruckert

RB: Elite - Breece Hall, Michael Carter, Israel Abanikanda
Bit of projection, there aren't 5 RBs I would take over Breece Hall

OL: Fair - Duane Brown, Laken Tomlinson, Joe Tippmann, AVT, Mekhi Becton
Optimistic, maybe - if Becton is healthy, sky's the limit for him (that's a big if). Not sure what to expect from Laken Tomlinson, who was uncharacteristically bad last season. Tippmann is unknown. AVT is a stud. Duane Brown is 38 (OT depth is good, but not guys you want starting).

DL: Excellent - Jermaine Johnson, Quinnen Williams, JFM, Carl Lawson, Will McDonald, Quinton Jefferson, Bryce Huff, Michael Clemmons, AL Woods

LB: Substandard - CJ Mosley, Quincy Williams, Jamien Sherwood
Mosley is good, Quincy has his lapses but can be explosive.. the depth is awful.

S: Substandard - Jordan Whitehead, Adrian Amos
I don't know much about Chuck Clark, but the team was supposedly really high on him. It was a weak group with Clark, his injury certainly didn't help.

CB: Elite - Sauce, D.J Reed, Michael Carter
D.J Reed is criminally underrated, as is Michael Carter.

Edited by NJC33

Bucs

QB - D , Journey Man Baker and Tra(sh)k, Yuck
WR - A, Godwin and Evans are beasts but outside of them there isnt anything to write home about
TE - C- , Otton might surprise some this year (my opinion) Keift is a mauling blocker, Durham the rookie tbd
RB - C, Rachaad White to the moon 🚀🔥, but nothing behind him
IOL C+ , only reason its a C+ is because Jensen is a beast when healthy, also have high hopes for Cody Mauch at RG but the LG position is suspect
OT- B-, Wirfs will be an All Pro, not worried at all about his transition to LT, Goedeke at RT is a project though, depth also suspect
DT- A, Vea is an animal, I myself have high hopes for Kancey, and hopefully Hall takes a leap in his 2nd year
DE- C- , Tryon is meh, Shaq is coming off an achilles, 3rd rounder Diaby may have potential, either way this is a weak group
LB- A, David is a perennially underrated STUD, White has high upside but is inconsistent
S - B, Winfield I expect to take a leap and be considered among the top Safeties in the league, curious to see how Logan Ryan plays, but he seemingly did well last year
CB A, Davis and Dean are solid outside corners, NCB is tbd
ST Kicking- D, would be an F but our Punter Camarda might be a sneaky stud punter in the making
ST Returns- F, who even cares about returns anymore honestly, I'd love to see elite returners again but the NFL seems to want to take this facet of the game away entirely
ST Coverage- F

On 6/15/2023 at 7:08 PM, BetterCallSaul said:

Browns:

QB: B- is a safe bet, but this is volatile. 
RB: A+
WR: B-
TE: A-
OT: B
IOL: A+

DE: A-
DT: C
LB: C-
CB: A
S: B. 

ST Kicking: C
ST Returns: C-
DT Coverage: B

I feel very good about those rankings, but obviously Watson at QB could vary from A+ to F based on what we’ve seen from him historically vs. last year. 

This is spot on. I was going to do one, but the only change I’d make is lowering our linebackers, TE’s, and bumping up DE to an A.

JOK is our only Lb worth anything.

I am a Njoku fan, but he’s never healthy.

I think our DE’s could be special this year. 

Edited by candyman93

12 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

JOK is our only Lb worth anything.

I feel like Takitaki and Walker are average. They aren’t good, but most NFL linebackers aren’t. That position has a ton of bums playing meaningful minutes right now. They are on par with a lot of what the rest of the league has. I hate not having a stud MIKE or WILL, but I don’t think our LBs are atrocious. When Walker inevitably gets injured, then we’re putting a literal turd out there. 

• Like 1

QB - A || Hurts was the MVP runner up, and minus one unfortunate random fumble in the Super Bowl, he put on a masterful performance. Mariota is fairly capable as a backup
WR - A- || 1 and 2 Brown and Smith are up there with any other duo in the league, we signed Zaccheus Olamide to compete with Quez Watkins in the slot, and they bring very different things to the table. Depth is a small concern, but the main factors are there.
TE - B+ || I think by himself I'd rank Goedert as an A-, there are a lot of potentially interesting guys behind him, but no one who I can immediate have faith to step in full time and still have some notable impact.
RB - B+ || Swift & Penny being Lightning and Thunder. With Gainwell being the relief duty guy and Boston Scott being the redzone Sprolesian X-Factor. I have no complaints. Yeah there might not be that one guy who is a nightmare, but for how cheap they all are this is a crazy good stable IMO.
IOL - B+ || Jason Kelce is a Hall of Famer, no doubt. Landon Dickerson is an above average reliable starter with room to progress further. RG will be a TC battle between Rookie Tyler Steen, Kelce's heir apparent for a potential year fill-in, and likely to be signed veteran DJ Fluker who seems to have reinvented himself and got into crazy good shape.
OT - A || Mailata isn't always consistent, but he's never a disappointment. He has a great ceiling and can change games. Lane Johnson is the best RT in the game without a doubt.

DT -  A- || Cox may be aging but he still has a bit left in the tank. Jalen Carter has HoF potential, but we don't know what will come of it. Word on Jordan Davis so far this year is nothing but positive and he's an athletic freak. Milton Williams as DT4, and the rumor floating of Ndamukong Suh coming back to also round out the depth? Not sure how the picture exactly comes together, but any way I slice it, I like what I see.
DE - B/A- || Sweat and Graham are solid starters, both had 10+ sacks last year. But beyond them there's a lot to be desired IMO. Derek Barnett is a bust and I don't know why he's still here. Everyone else on the roster is just... who? I'd bump this to an A- if we're including Hassan Reddick
LB - B+/C+ || Again, depends on if Reddick is counter here or not. Nakobe Dean is taking over at MLB and has been given the green dot radio helmet, many think he's poised to breakout, but still that's a definitely a wait and see. We've signed Nicholas Morrow and there's been a nice surprise from Christian Elliss at OTAs which looks like it'll be a camp battle between those two for the WLB spot. Neither seems disappointing even if they aren't wowing. 
S - B- || Really excited for Sydney Brown in the future. Reed Blankenship has been a nice surprise as an UDFA last year, and we signed Terrell Edmunds. Between those 3, I think we'll have a solid rotation of safeties.
CB - A- || Slay and Bradberry speak for themselves. Maddox is a top 5 inside slot CB in the league. Kelee Ringo, probably won't be a huge factor this year, but huge potential for the future. And there are so many guys in the depth chart it's gonna be a bloodbath seeing who comes out behind them. Greedy Williams, Zech McPherson, Josh Jobe and then UDFA rookies both of which were expected to be drafted perhaps even early at some point in Eli Ricks and Mekhi Garner.

ST Kicking - A- || Jake Elliot is never someone I'm worried about not making it when it counts, he's not Justin Tucker, but he's rock solid.
ST Returns - C || Something's gotta change here. We don't really muff anything, but Britain Covey ain't it. The return game was basically a non factor for us all season last year.
ST Coverage - ?? || Gonna be honest, I got no idea on this one.