Rank Your Team's Position Groups

onejayhawk

On 6/16/2023 at 8:03 AM, NJC33 said:

Jets

Tiers: Elite (Top 5), Excellent (5-10), Good (10-15), Fair (15-20), Substandard (20-32)

QB: Elite/Excellent - Aaron Rodgers
Mahomes, Allen, Borrow, Hurts... Rodgers/Herbert/TLaw is a toss up for me

WR: Good - Garrett Wilson, Corey Davis, Allen Lazard, Mecole Hardman

TE: Good - Tyler Conklin, CJ Uzomah, Jeremey Ruckert

RB: Elite - Breece Hall, Michael Carter, Israel Abanikanda
Bit of projection, there aren't 5 RBs I would take over Breece Hall

OL: Fair - Duane Brown, Laken Tomlinson, Joe Tippmann, AVT, Mekhi Becton
Optimistic, maybe - if Becton is healthy, sky's the limit for him (that's a big if). Not sure what to expect from Laken Tomlinson, who was uncharacteristically bad last season. Tippmann is unknown. AVT is a stud. Duane Brown is 38 (OT depth is good, but not guys you want starting).

DL: Excellent - Jermaine Johnson, Quinnen Williams, JFM, Carl Lawson, Will McDonald, Quinton Jefferson, Bryce Huff, Michael Clemmons, AL Woods

LB: Substandard - CJ Mosley, Quincy Williams, Jamien Sherwood
Mosley is good, Quincy has his lapses but can be explosive.. the depth is awful.

S: Substandard - Jordan Whitehead, Adrian Amos
I don't know much about Chuck Clark, but the team was supposedly really high on him. It was a weak group with Clark, his injury certainly didn't help.

CB: Elite - Sauce, D.J Reed, Michael Carter
D.J Reed is criminally underrated, as is Michael Carter.

Still hope they bring back Kwon. I think the Jets believe Jamien Sherwood is ready to start. 

Edited by NYJets4716

QB: B When healthy last season, Tua could easily justify an A grade, but with the injury concerns I'm downgrading it to a B.
WR: A I feel like I don't even need to justify this... Hill and Waddle are arguably the best combo in the league. The reason for not giving this position an A+, however, is the lack of a proven or established receiver after that, notably in the slot. Cedrick Wilson was supposed to be that guy but was absent last season. I don't have much hope for Robbie Chosen either.
TE: D McDaniel's system doesn't really utilize TEs as receivers as a major emphaiss, but Durham Smythe's blocking ability is perfect for it. Still, we lack any sort of high end talent at the position.
RB: B- Mostert, Jeff Wilson, and rookie Devon Achane are perfect fits for what McDaniel likes to do offensively, but have injury concerns. We lack a bell cow back or power back for short yardage situations, though.
IOL: C Robert Hunt and Connor Williams are fine starters, but Liam Eichenberg and Robert Jones is currently penciled in at LG, both proving to be major liabilities at this point in their careers.
OT: C- Terron Armstead is one of the league's best when healthy, but Austin Jackson has been largely a bust. Perhaps Isaiah Wynn can step up and beat him out in camp.We don't have much notable depth outside of those three players, either. Would have been nice to retain Brandon Shell instead of losing him to a division rival.
DL: B Raekwon Davis has shown flashes in his NFL career, but has largely been a liability. As we run a 3-4 base, however, I'm including Christian Wilkins in this who has been one the league's best run defenders in his career. Zach Sieler has also been excellent in rotation. Ogbah had a down year last season and got hurt, but may imrpove this season.
EDGE: B+ Jaelan Phillips is trending towards being a longterm answer at the position and there's plenty of optimism that Chubb can continue to improve from last season.
LB: D+ Jerome Baker is a polarizing player with definite upsides but also undeniable liabilities. The depth behind him isn't stellar, either.
S: A+ You won't find many safety trios in the league as stellar as Jevon Holland, Deshon Elliott, and Brandon Jones.
CB: A- Xavien Howard's decline was evident last season but adding Jalen Ramsey should help things. Kader Kohou played great last season and should benefit from a swap to the slot, and Nik Needham is also a capable defender at the position. Former 1st-rounder Noah Iginoghene, however, may not even make the team.
ST Kicking: B- Once a clutch player playing at an elite level, Jason Sanders has had his struggles the past couple seasons. He's still been a fairly reliable kicker, but not the kind of player we thought we were getting when extending him. At punter, Jake Bailey should be on par with the departed Thomas Morstead at this point in their careers.
ST Returns: B+ Braxton Berrios should prove to be a massive upgrade in the team's return game.
ST Coverage: C Fairly up and down last season, and hard to predict. I'll just put a C.

I will play!   Packers:

QB:  D.  So far, Jordan Love has looked promising.  Our two back-ups have zero NFL Experience.

RB:  B.  Combo of Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon is very good.  We don't go a lot deeper here, but we also really haven't had to.

WR:  D.  Much like the QB position, this group has very little experience.  I love Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs.  I am also high on Jayden Reed and Samori Toure, and even the rest of the players in camp have some traits that can be worked with.  But in the interest of fairness, the entire WR room returns 1100 yards in the NFL.

TE:  F.  If the WR room is inexperienced, then the TE room is even less experienced.  Reports on Luke Musgrave have been very good so far.  I also really like Tucker Kraft.  But, once again, this room has 430 total yards in the NFL.

OL:  A.  The left side is awesome.  The right side is still up and coming.  We also have a lot of very interesting prospects fighting for back-up spots.  \

DL:  C.  Kenny Clark is good, but coming off his worst season.  TJ Slaton is looking like a find, but he won't be making Pro-Bowls.  Devonte Wyatt has all the potential in the world, but hasn't put it together yet.  The rest are rookies, once again.  Give it a C just because I love Kenny Clark, last year we could not stop the run.

Edge:  B.  Preston Smith is wearing down a bit.  Rashan Gary is poised to be great, but has injured his knee.  Lukas Van Ness looks like he will be very good.  And Kingsley Enagbare was a draft steal.  I think this is a very good group, and can be even higher, if they can all get healthy at the same time.

LB:  B.  De'Vondre Campbell is one year removed from an All-Pro season.  Quay Walker is fast as hell and getting better.  We also have a solid piece in AJ McDuffie as a third, if we ever need him.

CB:  A.  I really think we have the horses.  It is up to the DC to use them properly.

S:  F.  Right now, we have Darnell Savage and Rudy Ford penciled in as starters.  The other guys have limited experience, and I would put their probability of starting a few games at like 90%.

K:  D? He is a rookie.  He gets bumped up to D because he is tall.

P:  F.  I don't know, he is a red-head though, which drops you a full letter grade.

There are a lot of grades for the Packers that could be seen as incompletes at this point because of overall team youth.  I don't think anyone would be shocked to the WRs or TEs being better than I graded them.  But at the same time, there isn't really any evidence, just speculation based on potential and opportunity.  Best units is either RBs or OL, I would be very surprised if they were bad.  Worst unit is S, I would be shocked if they were average.

Falcons

QB - D... but should be higher after this year. Ridder looks like he's primed for a breakout and Heinicke is a very solid backup.
WR - C ... Drake London and not much past him
TE - A ... Kyle Pitts and Jonnu Smith might be the best 1-2 TE duo in the league
RB - A+ ... Bijan, Allgeier and CP84 is easily the best trio in the league, alignment not as big of a deal for any of them.
IOL - B ... Lindstrom is an all-pro. Dalman is above average. Bergeron is a rookie, but a perfect scheme fit and similarities to Rodger Saffold
OT - B+ ... Matthews is a reliable guy who's just below Pro Bowl level. McGary is solid all-around, but is better in Atlanta than he would be elsewhere.
DL - B ... Last year, it would have been a D with just Jarrett and a half season from Graham. Getting Graham back, and then adding Campbell, Onyemata and Goldman to this group should really improve this unit
EDGE - D .. but should be higher after this year. Ebiketie looks primed to take the next step. Carter is solid. Dupree is a good rotational piece. Malone could be a surprise too.
LB - C .. Andersen has all the physical tools. Ellis has all the mental tools. If they can team well inside, the Falcons defense could be really good at the 2nd level
S - A .. Bates is an All-Pro caliber guy. Grant is above average with potential to be at a Pro Bowl level. Hawkins is solid depth
CB - C .. Terrell has all-pro potential. Okudah too. Dee Alford will surprise at nickel. Mike Hughes, Clark Phillips and Darren Hall are competent depth pieces.
ST Kicking - A .. Younghoe Koo, Bradley Pinion. They are both extremely good.
ST Returns - B .. CP84 is the all-time KR leader in TDs. PR take a hit without Avery Williams, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Hughes, Alford or Josh Ali take that spot.
ST Coverage - A .. Was one of the top units in 2022 and in 2021. Marquice Williams is a helluva coach here.

I feel like this was pretty objective. but feel free to tell me where I'm wrong.

Edited by scar988

Sure.

QB - C. Davis Mills and Case Keenum are adequate backup QBs, but all eyes are on CJ Stroud. If he does well, this unit is ready for the future. 

RB - B. Dameon Pierce is a very angry between-the-T runner and Devin Singletary is a very shifty outside-the-T runner. Both can catch the ball well, too. The wildcard here is Xazvian Valladay - the UDFA from Wyoming has great size, vision and moves gracefully through the hole. His early comp from those at OTAs is former Texans UDFA RB Arian Foster; Another RB of that caliber would be a fantastic find.

WR - D. Lot of unknown commodities here. Nico Collins is in Y3 and is still an unknown. Robert Woods is coming off his worst season as a pro and is clearly slower than his days with LAR. Tank Dell and Xavier Hutchinson are both rookies. John Metchie is virtually a rookie after missing last season with his cancer scare. This group lacks an alpha.

TE - B. The addition of Dalton Schultz is a nice add to this team, as the Texans haven’t had a reliable TE since Owen Daniels during the Kubiak era. Teegan Quitoriano was developing at a good pace last season and is primed to do well as TE2. Brevin Jordan has the athleticism to do more than he does, he just… doesn’t.

T - A. Laremy Tunsil and Tytus Howard should be one of the better OT tandems in football this season.

G - C. Shaq Mason should be a good vet on the IOL, Kenyon Green needs to show improvements across the board in year 2. He’s been in need of a better strength and conditioning program, now he can start to use his size and strength to overwhelm opponents.

C - C. Scott Quissenberry or Jimmy Morrissey should compete initially, but the position is really between Juice Scruggs or Jarrett Patterson. Scruggs is the likely starter coming out of the bye.

DE - A. The headliner is Will Anderson, who will be playing the “Nick Bosa” edge role in the Texans’ Wide 9 front. That’s not everyone though: guys such as Jerry Hughes, Jon Greenard, Chase Winovich and Jacob Martin will all chip in to attack the edge on a weekly basis. It’s a good blend of speedy edge rushers and stout edge setters, with the most ballyhooed defensive prospect since Nick Bosa as the crown jewel. Expect this front to cause havok early.

DT - B. This is an unheralded group, but a very strong unit. Maliek Collins and Sheldon Rankins get the nod as starters, with Hassan Ridgeway and Roy Lopez as key rotation guys. Thomas Booker and Kirk Hinish fill out the rest of the depth at the rotation.

LB - B. Christian Harris was coming into his own towards the end of last season, and is the one guy everyone expects to take a massive leap in Y2 as the Texans get away from the Lovie C2 look. Christian Kirksey should get the start inside, but don’t be surprised if rookie LB Henry To’o To’o takes some PT away from him. Blake Cashman is slated to be the WLB on run downs, with guys such as Garrett Wallow and Neville Hewitt providing support.

CB - C. So much of this evaluation is going to come down to how CB Derek Stingley looks in Y2. The uber athletic CB is going to get out of the heavy zone look that really didn’t fit what he does best, and should be able to shine as a lockdown CB who travels with opposing WR1s. Steven Nelson, Shaquil Griffin and Tavierre Thomas will compete for CB2, which gives Desmond King the opportunity to stay in the slot CB role. If Sting turns into the guy who was drafted 3rd overall this unit becomes one of the top two units on the team. 

S - A. This is the strength of the defense right now, all things considered; Jalen Pitre was the best player on the team last season, and he’s now joined by vet S Jimmie Ward, who is the veteran leadership for this Ryans-led defense. Eric Murray brings in versatility at multiple spots and MJ Stewart is a hard hitter who will still have a big role on ST. 

K/P - B. Ka’imi Fairbairn and Cameron Johnston are both above average at their jobs.

It’s a C to C+ roster. Depth is sorely lacking, but it’s better than previous teams ran by the other two guys.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I will play!   Packers:

QB:  D.  So far, Jordan Love has looked promising.  Our two back-ups have zero NFL Experience.

RB:  B.  Combo of Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon is very good.  We don't go a lot deeper here, but we also really haven't had to.

WR:  D.  Much like the QB position, this group has very little experience.  I love Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs.  I am also high on Jayden Reed and Samori Toure, and even the rest of the players in camp have some traits that can be worked with.  But in the interest of fairness, the entire WR room returns 1100 yards in the NFL.

TE:  F.  If the WR room is inexperienced, then the TE room is even less experienced.  Reports on Luke Musgrave have been very good so far.  I also really like Tucker Kraft.  But, once again, this room has 430 total yards in the NFL.

OL:  A.  The left side is awesome.  The right side is still up and coming.  We also have a lot of very interesting prospects fighting for back-up spots.  \

DL:  C.  Kenny Clark is good, but coming off his worst season.  TJ Slaton is looking like a find, but he won't be making Pro-Bowls.  Devonte Wyatt has all the potential in the world, but hasn't put it together yet.  The rest are rookies, once again.  Give it a C just because I love Kenny Clark, last year we could not stop the run.

Edge:  B.  Preston Smith is wearing down a bit.  Rashan Gary is poised to be great, but has injured his knee.  Lukas Van Ness looks like he will be very good.  And Kingsley Enagbare was a draft steal.  I think this is a very good group, and can be even higher, if they can all get healthy at the same time.

LB:  B.  De'Vondre Campbell is one year removed from an All-Pro season.  Quay Walker is fast as hell and getting better.  We also have a solid piece in AJ McDuffie as a third, if we ever need him.

CB:  A.  I really think we have the horses.  It is up to the DC to use them properly.

S:  F.  Right now, we have Darnell Savage and Rudy Ford penciled in as starters.  The other guys have limited experience, and I would put their probability of starting a few games at like 90%.

K:  D? He is a rookie.  He gets bumped up to D because he is tall.

P:  F.  I don't know, he is a red-head though, which drops you a full letter grade.

There are a lot of grades for the Packers that could be seen as incompletes at this point because of overall team youth.  I don't think anyone would be shocked to the WRs or TEs being better than I graded them.  But at the same time, there isn't really any evidence, just speculation based on potential and opportunity.  Best units is either RBs or OL, I would be very surprised if they were bad.  Worst unit is S, I would be shocked if they were average.

It is so hard to grade this team by position because the players that will be called upon to carry the load save 2 or 3 positions are grass green.  We might not know what we have until Halloween.

41 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Who has a worse WR room?

You're right. I probably should have it as a D. But London has 1100+ yard potential, so that is worth a C in my opinion if your WR1 can hit 1100+ yards. The issue is the rest of the corps not really being proven. Even Hollins has had some good weeks, but at best he's a WR3. Atlanta's offense is going to be very different though with a lot of 22 and 31 personnel with guys like Patterson, Robinson and even Jonnu taking that WR2 spot in the personnel package (even if Jonnu is in-line because Pitts is aligned out wide).

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Who has a worse WR room?

Just to actually answer the question:

Titans (Burks and really who?)

Houston (Nico Collins, Metchie, Woods)

Giants (Hodgins, Slayton, Campbell)

Panthers (Thielen, Marshall, Chark)

And comparable WR rooms:

Chiefs (MVS, and then potential guys with Toney and Moore and Rice)

Packers (Watson, and then a bunch of unproven guys)

17 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Titans (Burks and really who?)

Agreed. I think this room is most similar, though I like London more than Burks. DeAndre Hopkins would obviously change things.

18 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Houston (Nico Collins, Metchie, Woods)

They're pretty bad. Though they might have you on aggregate.

20 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Giants (Hodgins, Slayton, Campbell)

Panthers (Thielen, Marshall, Chark)

Chiefs (MVS, and then potential guys with Toney and Moore and Rice)

Packers (Watson, and then a bunch of unproven guys)

London is probably the best WR (if not Watson) on any of these teams, but I still think these teams have you on aggregate. Depth is a serious concern for ATL. If London misses any time it will be a disaster. I would probably go:

1. Titans 2. Falcons 3. Texans 4. Panthers 5. Patriots

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Agreed. I think this room is most similar, though I like London more than Burks. DeAndre Hopkins would obviously change things.

They're pretty bad. Though they might have you on aggregate.

London is probably the best WR (if not Watson) on any of these teams, but I still think these teams have you on aggregate. Depth is a serious concern for ATL. If London misses any time it will be a disaster. I would probably go:

1. Titans 2. Falcons 3. Texans 4. Panthers 5. Patriots

And that’s fair. Aggregate is important. But if London is healthy all year, then Atlanta is probably 5th or so. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2023 at 5:45 PM, ET80 said:

It’s a C to C+ roster. Depth is sorely lacking, but it’s better than previous teams ran by the other two guys.

This is spot on.  Running will be a challenge with that IOL and the passing game needs a WR to step forward.  Fantasy Tip:  Dalton Schultz should have a career year. 

I still think the Texans win the AFC-South with their QB killer defense.  FWIW, PFF is among the doubters (Rs = Receivers, including Tight Ends):

Overall
Raw-Rnk Team  QB | RB | Rs | OL || DL | LB | DB || Def-Rk | Off-Rk
                 |    |    |    ||    |    |    ||        | 
 47-1st S.F.  12 |  1 |  4 | 18 ||  2 |  1 |  9 ||  12--1 |  25--1
 62-2nd K.C.  T1 | 21 | 11 |  3 || 13 |  6 |  7 ||  26--3 |  36--4
 64-3rd Phil   4 | 22 |  2 |  1 ||  1 | 31 |  3 ||  35-10 |  29--2
 64-4th Miam   6 | 17 |  3 | 20 ||  4 | 12 |  2 ||  18--2 |  46--8
 69-5th Balt   5 | 11 | 15 |  4 || 26 |  3 |  5 ||  34--8 |  35--3
 70-6th Dall  19 | 10 |  6 |  6 ||  8 | 15 |  6 ||  29--6 |  41--6
 73-7th Cinc  T1 | 23 |  1 | 17 || 11 |  5 | 15 ||  31--7 |  42--7
 85-8th Clev #30 |  3 | 22 |  2 ||  6 | 14 |  8 ||  28--5 |  57-12
 87-9th Buff   3 | 26 |  9 | 22 ||  7 | 10 | 10 ||  27--4 |  60-14
 92--10 LACh  11 |  9 | 12 |  9 || 16 | 21 | 14 ||  51-16 |  41--5
102--11 G.B.  #9 |  6 | 27 |  8 || 19 | 17 | 16 ||  52-17 |  50--9
104--12 Jets  13 | 14 | 20 | 23 || 14 | 19 |  1 ||  34--9 |  70-17
108--13 Seat   7 | 12 |  5 | 30 || 30 |  7 | 17 ||  54-21 |  54-10
118--14 N.E.  23 | 18 | 29 | 13 || 12 | 11 | 12 ||  35-11 |  83-25
121--15 Denv  28 | 20 | 17 | 11 || 28 | 13 |  4 ||  45-13 |  76-21
124--16 Detr  18 | 16 | 23 |  5 || 20 | 20 | 22 ||  62-24 |  62-15
                 |    |    |    ||    |    |    ||        | 
127--17 Pitt  15 | 25 | 18 | 12 ||  5 | 24 | 18 ||  47-14 |  80-23
128--18 Minn   8 | 29 |  7 | 15 || 17 | 27 | 25 ||  69-27 |  59-13
130--19 Indi r32 |  5 | 26 | 10 || 18 |  8 | 31 ||  57-23 |  73-19
132--20 NYGs  14 |  8 | 25 | 29 ||  9 | 22 | 24 ||  55-22 |  76-20
132--21 Chic  21 | 24 | 13 | 21 || 31 |  2 | 20 ||  53-20 |  79-22
132--22 T.B. #31 | 30 | 10 | 14 || 25 |  9 | 13 ||  47-15 |  85-26
137--23 Jkvl  10 | 19 | 16 | 26 || 21 | 18 | 27 ||  66-26 |  71-18
138--24 Rdrs  20 |  7 |  8 | 19 || 24 | 30 | 30 ||  84-30 |  54-11
139--25 Wash #22 | 27 | 19 | 27 ||  3 | 25 | 11 ||  39-12 |  93-29
139--26 N.O.  27 | 15 | 21 | 24 || 29 |  4 | 19 ||  52-19 |  87-27
140--27 Atla #29 |  2 | 24 |  7 || 27 | 28 | 23 ||  78-29 |  62-16
143--28 Crla r16 | 28 | 31 | 16 || 15 | 16 | 21 ||  52-18 |  91-28
148--29 Tenn  17 |  4 | 30 | 32 || 10 | 29 | 26 ||  65-25 |  83-24
171--30 Hous r24 | 13 | 32 | 25 || 23 | 26 | 28 ||  77-28 |  94-30
186--31 Rams  26 | 32 | 14 | 28 || 22 | 32 | 32 ||  86-32 | 100-31
199--32 Ariz  25 | 31 | 28 | 31 || 32 | 23 | 29 ||  84-31 | 115-32

@NJC33 I pinched your layout as it’s very easy on the eye 😀 

Las Vegas Raiders

Tiers: Elite (Top 5), Excellent (5-10), Good (10-15), Fair (15-20), Substandard (20-32)

QB: Fair - If Garoppolo stays healthy. If he’s injured, we open Pandoras Box with Brian Hoyer and Aiden O’Connell the rookie……

WR: Elite - Adams, Meyers and Renfrow with a couple young speed options looks elite to me.

TE: Good - Hooper and Myers looks good on paper but of course Myers is a rookie. I like the balance here.

RB: Elite - Jacobs was the rushing leader last year and White, Abdullah and Bolden are a mix mix of power, receiving and 3rd down backs.

OL: Fair - We return all our starters from last year so chemistry should be better but added no surefire starters. Miller has to stay healthy but the depth and versatility is good and I have belief in the coach.

DL: Fair/Substandard - This is a difficult one as the DE or Edge position could be very good with Crosby, Jones and the rookie Wilson but interior DLine is unknown really and relying on 2nd year guys that have shown nothing and a rookie alongside the underwhelming Nicholls. Could they improve? Yes, but they have shown zero yet.

LB: Substandard - Maybe the worst LB core in the league, thankfully we’ll be in nickel most of the time. Deablo could surprise or they could all be as bad as we anticipate!

S: Good/Fair - Epps and Moehrig look OK on paper and the rookie Smith was a steal IMO. I hope we add Harmon back for depth and as a vet field general. Pola Mao could be a wildcard so this group looks very promising.

CB: Good/Fair - We have seemingly lots of depth but there’s lots of question marks. Can Hobbs play on the outside as well as he did in the slot? Was Shelley a flash in the pan last year? Can Hall keep up his promising play? What do we have in Bennett? Overall I think this unit has nice depth and will surprise but it’s far from a given.

STs: Elite - Great kicker and great punter and the rookie apparently is electric as a returner, we always seem to have great ST play.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1