How are those rookies looking?

RaidersAreOne

On 8/17/2023 at 2:02 PM, SmittyBacall said:

BENGALS

Myles Murphy - Has looked like much of what we saw at Clemson, athletic, wiry, and incomplete as a pass rusher. Played a good amount of snaps W1 and didn't flash much. Will still likely work his was into early down work to spell Hendrickson, while rushing from DT in obvious passing situations. Work in progress.

DJ Turner - Rookie-MVP so far. Has looked the part of an NFL starting corner. Fast, great ball skills, and going toe to toe with Chase/Higgins. Bright future, could/can contribute right away.

Jordan Battle - Still the 3rd safety behind Nick Scott, but will work onto the field in 3-safety looks (which we may frequent more often this season). Made all the plays he should have W1, including a really nice pass break up. Looking like a future starter.

Charlie Jones - Looked as advertised early, then got dinged up before W1, and didn't look good during the game. Should contribute on returns as a rookie.

Chase Brown - Very fast, very quick - something we've lacked at RB on this team for decades. Pass protection is still the question. Fighting for a relief role right now.

Andrei Iosivas - Probably the runner up rookie-MVP. Consistently makes plays in practice, earns a ton of praise, and played awesome in the first preseason game. Early, but potentially another starter in the making. 

Brad Robbins - Clear upgrade on Kevin Huber. Hit some really nice punts in the opener. Our starter going into the year.

DJ Ivey - Fighting to make the team as 6th corner over Sidney Jones and Allan George. He has a shot.

OVERALL: It's so early to pass judgement, but it's looking like a really solid class. Iosivas looks like a steal, and we're seeing the beginnings of future starters at a few spots. Murphy is the biggest concern at the moment. We'll see how he develops...

BENGALS UPDATE:

Myles Murphy - Hasn't being playing/contributing much at all, but still has a sack somehow. Work in progress.

DJ Turner - Add him to the list of rookie corners playing very well early. Sticky in coverage and can stick his nose in and play the run. Looks like a future stud.

Jordan Battle - Slowly steal snaps from an underwhelming Nick Scott. Will likely be the starter in a few weeks time.

Charlie Jones - Looked awesome on a few punt returns, then got injured. Currently on IR with a busted thumb. 

Chase Brown - Hasn't played at all. Coaches don't seem to trust him.

Andrei Iosivas - Hasn't had to really play a part from last week when Higgins went down. I have a feeling he's going to be an NFL starter soon.

Brad Robbins - Has been hit and miss. Kind of underwhelming, but not terrible. Early days.

DJ Ivey - Made the 53, but not sure he dresses.

OVERALL: Nothing has really changed since August. Chase Brown's lack of contributions might be the biggest surprise/disappointment - there's a path to playing time that he can't seem to grasp. Onward.

• Like 1

Updating the first year awesomeness of the 49ers draft class: 

Ji'ayir Brown - He has played 26 defensive snaps this year, all in the last two weeks in blow outs. 

Cameron Latu, Darrell Luter, Robert Beal have all been on IR to start the season. I think Luter and Beal both have opportunities to come back this year, but I'd be surprised if they do. 

Dee Winters has played 16 defensive snaps all year, both in the last two weeks in the blowout wins. 

Brayden Willis has played 6 offensive snaps all year and has only been active for 2 games. 

Jalen Graham has not been active for a game. 

Now we can get to the primary two - 

Jake Moody is the kicker, hasn't missed a kick yet. He's 9-9 on FGs, including a 57 yarder, and 20-20 on XPs. I would never advocate for using a third round pick on a kicker, however he is doing what he needs to do to make that pick worthwhile. 

Ronnie Bell has been active in every game, however he's really only played significant time in two games. He's a backup outside receiver, so while he's technically 4th or 5th in terms the receiver hierarchy, he's the primary backup outside receiver, so if Deebo / Aiyuk can't go (particularly Aiyuk), he's going to get most of the replacement reps. He has 3 catches including a pretty nice TD catch against the Giants, but nothing crazy. Only 4 targets in the two games where he has played meaningful snaps. He's a pretty good special teams gunner. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 10:12 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

Packers as of week 3:

Lukas Van Ness - getting in the rotation, as intended.  Hurt himself week 2, so is a little bit slowed.

Karl Brooks & Colby Wooden - Both are seeing playing time on the line.  Wooden played less against the Saints, but they are both around 40% of defensive snaps.  I like the current trajectory, but they are mid round rookies, so definitely not a finished product.

Luke Musgrave, Jayden Reed, Dontayvion Wicks - all pass catchers that seem to be trending in the right direction.  Of course there are still the rookie lapses, but they look promising.

Tucker Kraft & Malik Heath - Not quite ready for prime time.

Anders Carlson - Struggled in preseason.  Hasn't missed any kicks so far.

Carrington Valentine - I believe he got his first start against New Orleans, and also got hurt.  He is kind of stuck behind the numbers game in the defense.  I think he did fine, he had no tackles, but NO only had 200 yards passing.

Packers don't have a lot of change through week 5.  

Musgrave is the number 1 TE, Reed has the second most yards on the team and is an acceptable punt returner.  The DL guys are kind of finding their snap usage:  LVN 40, Brooks 40, Wooden 30.  Carlson is still steady.  

1 hour ago, Blackstar12 said:

Only going to get better.

He looks like he's going to be a pretty good slot receiver in the league but the separation stat can be a bit misleading.

One target he was basically unaccounted for on a crosser and another one was kind of a schemed pick play that got him a good amount of separation from his man. 

Still had some nifty looking routes out there though. 

On 10/9/2023 at 2:00 PM, lavar703 said:

Emmanuel Forbes might be the worst player I've ever seen

This was quite surprising to read. I was impressed (for the most part) in the Denver game. I thought he could become a Marcus Peters / Antonio Cromartie type CB that makes huge plays, whilst giving up the occasional big one.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

After week 5 for the Raiders rookies:

Tyree Wilson, Round 1, DE  We all thought he was a bit of a project player but he's been basically lacking in fundamentals and any kind of pass rush plan or counter moves. Has been thrown into the deep end after being injured in TC and Chandler Jones' 'issues' rather than being eased in but basically just bull rushes every time straight into the OLine. He's strong and has a motor and high effort and he has shown a little improvement but there's a long, long way to go for him. At this point a physical specimen who needs to learn the nuances of the position.  

Michael Mayer, Round 2, TE  He's had a bit of a rough start, missing blocks, getting assignments wrong and not catching many balls over the first few games. Looks like he's acclimating to the NFL and will start producing as we work him into the gameplan and if the QB can get him the ball when he's open. Trending upwards I think.

Byron Young, Round 3, DT  A bit anonymous and very quiet, even in pre season. Inactive last game which is disappointing for a third round pick.

Tre Tucker, Round 3, WR  Been getting involved in things like sweeps and screens and he's certainly got soem very nice game speed! He's dropped the odd pass and is a bit inconsistent but he's got game breaking potential, generally exceeded expectations for me.

Jakorian Bennett, Round 4, CB  I really wanted Witherspoon or Gonzalez in the draft and was a little disappointed if I'm honest about waiting till the 4th to address CB. From TC to pre season onwards he's been getting good reviews and to have a 4th round pick start is a great sign. He's a bit loose at times and falls for double moves, tight routes but has great recovery speed and looks like a player with very high potential who's not afraid to come up and tackle and hit. Impressive for a 4th rounder.

Aidan O'Connell, Round 4, QB  Very, very impressed in TC and pre season. Was thrown in last week and was a deer in the headlights early in the game but showed his maturity and character as he grew into the game, and showed real promise. By years end, he may clearly be our best QB.

Chris Smith II, Round 5, S  The information I could find says he's not played any defensive snaps this season and was quiet albeit not bad in pre season. Not unsurprising this early for a 5th round pick but I did think with his football IQ he might be able to get some snaps and get his feet wet. Hoped to at least see him in game from time to time so a little disappointing so far.

Amari Burney, Round 6, LB  Flashed in pre season as a fast, rangy type LB who can blitz but showed inexperience and lack of desire initially to do traditional LB things like taking on blocks, stacking and shedding. He has obvious physical tools and is a work in progress. Another player that I can't find any snaps for and I've not seen him at all so he's probably been inactive all season. 

Nesta Jade Silvera, Round 7, DT  Flashed some potential in TC and pre season, he plays with leverage, holds the point of attack, is strong and has shown some quickness and attitude. Only played 8 snaps last week before getting nicked up. Really hope we can start drip feeding him into the lineup as from the limited amount I've seen of him, he looks to me the best of our young DTs. 

8 hours ago, Dash said:

He looks like he's going to be a pretty good slot receiver in the league but the separation stat can be a bit misleading.

One target he was basically unaccounted for on a crosser and another one was kind of a schemed pick play that got him a good amount of separation from his man. 

Still had some nifty looking routes out there though. 

On the deep flag they were in zone and he found the soft spot perfectly the outside corner tries to flip and go with him and it’s too late AR hit him right in that spot between the corner and safety. Kid just has the knack. 

Jags

Anton Harrison has had 2 bad games and 3 relatively good games.   

Strange barely plays(hes likely te 3. and is rarely used as a pass catcher. looks like a solid blocker.) IMO we had bigger needs then that with Farrell on the roster whos TE 2. 

Tank Bigsby again Barely plays and is rarely afforded the ball.   Again could have been used on a bigger need. 

Ventrell Miller ON IR not gonna play this year. 

Tyler Lacy. barely plays.  maybe a rotational run stopping 3-4 DE.

Yasir ABdullah.  hasnt played very much but has been extremely productive in pass rush snaps with pressures. 

Antonio Johnson.  probabloy safety 4. also plays Gunner on STs.  plays a lil on big nickel. 

Christian Braswell been hurt for a couple weeks.  just put on IR.  

Erik Hallett is on the PS.

Cooper hodges is ON IR.  might be a late season call up. 

Raymond Vohasek out of NFL.  doesnt seem to be on a PS of anyones.   

Derrick Parish ON PS. 

Michael Mayer had a semi-breakout game for the Raiders with 5 receptions for 75 yards, 4 catches being for 1st downs. JMD and Jimmy have completed ignored him prior to Sunday which doesn't make a lick of sense. But MM looked nice this weekend.

We better utilize him more going forward because he does a great job of getting open.