GDT Week 2: Packers at Flacons

mikebpackfan

15 hours ago, Leader said:

I like the idea of Wilson on this surface. Only reservation I have is on his pass blocking. The guy's a raw a rookie as can be.

I'm not as worried about his ability to pass block as others.   We have an offensive line that excels in pass-blocking.    Our unit gave up 32 sacks last year - 7th fewest in the league.    This during a season that David Bakhtiari only played 11 gms, Elgton Jenkins started as the RT and gave up 16 pressures over his 1st 8 gms before settling back in as a Pro-Bowl quality LG, Royce Newman started 6 gms (enough said), Zach Tom was moved all around the line and Njiman (our current #2/#3 LT?) started 13 games.  On top of that we had an aging, relatively immobile QB prone to holding the ball and going off-script.

Now we have a settled line with two All-Pro caliber players on the left side, an emerging stalwart RT, a RG that gave up 3 sacks and 1 penalty in 1051 offensive snaps and ... Myers (who I hope is improved) only gave up 3 sacks over 1091 offensive snaps last year.    We have an inexperienced QB but he's also mobile and playing within the designed offense.    

This isn't to say we don't want our backs/TE's to be able to pass-block, but I'd be more fearful of a young back like Wilson behind our unsettled line early last year than I am behind our current line.     I don't think Dillon is the type of back that teams have to spend much time game-planning for.   Falcons already have a better version of him to practice against in Allgeier.   I don't expect to see Wilson play much if Jones sits, but he'd be a really interesting wildcard.

Edited by Kampfgeist
  • Like 1

just watched the cutup/highlights from ATL vs CAR week 1. I think someone else mentioned it, but going to need our DBs to tackle well in this one. If we're without both Jones and Watson, this will be a tough game on offense, too. I think Atlanta is going to win their division and if we come out with a road win here we should have our eyes set on competing for the #1 seed this season with our schedule. Could end up being the toughest game of the year depending on what KC looks like.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

just watched the cutup/highlights from ATL vs CAR week 1. I think someone else mentioned it, but going to need our DBs to tackle well in this one. If we're without both Jones and Watson, this will be a tough game on offense, too. I think Atlanta is going to win their division and if we come out with a road win here we should have our eyes set on competing for the #1 seed this season with our schedule. Could end up being the toughest game of the year depending on what KC looks like.

can you imagine how much people would flip if we got the 1 seed this year?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I agree...seeing this game as a test. ATL's got good weapons on offense and appeared to bring good pressure in the CAR game. I cant speak to how good or bad the CAR OL is....but accepting them as passable, our OL and Love's composure will be tested. 

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

I agree...seeing this game as a test. ATL's got good weapons on offense and appeared to bring good pressure in the CAR game. I cant speak to how good or bad the CAR OL is....but accepting them as passable, our OL and Love's composure will be tested. 

Did you watch the Falcons vs. Panthers game? I don't see many folks in their front seven that scare me sans, Grady Jarrett. Who was generating pressure for them? 

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Did you watch the Falcons vs. Panthers game? I don't see many folks in their front seven that scare me sans, Grady Jarrett. Who was generating pressure for them? 

No. I didnt watch the game....but I've seen multiple videos of them getting pressure using schemes and stunts along the DL.

IMO we handled the CHI DL and Love's game reflected it. I think this ATL DL could bring more pressure than CHI did.

Hence my comments that Myer's (and Wilson if he's in there) had better be on their games.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Carolina's preseason ranking has been almost exactly average hovering around 14-16 depending on the grading site. The Falcons DL has been rated far worse. So could have been a great overperformance/scheme by ATL or maybe just the rankings being off. Or just week 1 nonsense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

No. I didnt watch the game....but I've seen multiple videos of them getting pressure using schemes and stunts along the DL.

IMO we handled the CHI DL and Love's game reflected it. I think this ATL DL could bring more pressure than CHI did.

Hence my comments that Myer's (and Wilson if he's in there) had better be on their games.

Good running game slows down any pass rush. As does a quick passing game. We happen to have both of those things going for us and they gave up a 154 yards rushing to the Panthers. 

Sounds like a good game plan to me to beat them down in the running game and quick throws and let our receivers get a lot of YAC. 

I did watch the ATL-CAR game and I think ATL is getting overrated by some here based on how bad CAR should be this year.    Derrick Brown and Brian Burns are nice pieces, otherwise I'd take our D man for man over CAR and the CAR offensive line is going to get boat raced this year.   We have an absolute cakewalk of a season if ATL turns out to be our toughest comp of the year.   Jaycee Horn is a helluva CB and Panthers lost him in the 2nd qtr.   London and Pitts still managed to do -0- in the game.    Desmond Ridder doesn't even look like JAG level yet.  Pitts will get a couple catches, London will be largely shutdown by Jaire/Rasul.   Bijan and Allgeier are a great pairing but I think we win going away if ATL has to rely on their run game and Ridder is throwing for 100-150 yards.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

can you imagine how much people would flip if we got the 1 seed this year?

I would be one of those people. I like what I see and am hopeful for every game, we will definitely grow. I also see we are not dominant in any phase. I hope we can be. 

25 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

I did watch the ATL-CAR game and I think ATL is getting overrated by some here based on how bad CAR should be this year.    Derrick Brown and Brian Burns are nice pieces, otherwise I'd take our D man for man over CAR and the CAR offensive line is going to get boat raced this year.   We have an absolute cakewalk of a season if ATL turns out to be our toughest comp of the year.   Jaycee Horn is a helluva CB and Panthers lost him in the 2nd qtr.   London and Pitts still managed to do -0- in the game.    Desmond Ridder doesn't even look like JAG level yet.  Pitts will get a couple catches, London will be largely shutdown by Jaire/Rasul.   Bijan and Allgeier are a great pairing but I think we win going away if ATL has to rely on their run game and Ridder is throwing for 100-150 yards.

It's week 1.

Atlanta is loaded on offense. We might be lucky to get them early before they gel. Same could be said of our offense, too, though, of course