Week 2: San Francisco 49ers at Los Angeles Rams

J-ALL-DAY

Great game, some good and some Bad.

it’s funny that after all the Shanny years I think this is the first year you can actually see (so far) that the offense is carrying the team more than the defense.

it’s exciting but it worries me at the same time. The defense just showed a lot of weaknesses today and usually we make some halftime adjustments, that didn’t happen today for the most part.

1 minute ago, P_locniners said:

it’s funny that after all the Shanny years I think this is the first year you can actually see (so far) that the offense is carrying the team more than the defense.

it’s exciting but it worries me at the same time. The defense just showed a lot of weaknesses today and usually we make some halftime adjustments, that didn’t happen today for the most part.

The defense didn’t light it up in the second half, but they only gave up 6 points, one of which was a pointless 3 as time expired. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, P_locniners said:

I dont think the Niners defense showed weakness. It was more of McVay knowing Kyle plus McVay is a great offensive mind. He is no different than Reid with the Chiefs and what they were able to do to the Niners defense when they played them.

Then you add someone like Puka who is basically a Kupp/Woods clone. The Rams didnt have that last season when Kupp was hurt and obviously them trading away Woods. So expect more struggles against the Rams with Puka and when Kupp return.

The best thing that happened to the Niners were a few Rams mistakes. That tipped int from Williams that killed a potential Rams td drive. That holding call on Higbee (which was really a hold on I think Bosa) that killed another potential td drive. The Rams had to settle for a fg. Then that route blunder by Tutu that had he didnt have that blunder wouldve been an easy td. Instead it was a intentional grounding and the Rams had to settle for a fg. So Ill say the Niners got fortunate the Rams had some mistakes on offense or else the defense wouldve looked really bad. 

Overall though I think the Niners are fine. Im picking them to beat the Giants in my survivor pool for TNF. No Barkley I think the Niners win big. 

I rewatched the game. Or at least the expedited edition. The harping on the defense was well deserved, but Wilks' and his boys did tighten up in the second half. Especially in the 4th, when Bosa started to come to life with pressure up-front. I'm not sure if it was just McVay knowing what Kyle does so well, but even with a perceived lack of talent compared to the 49ers roster, the Rams were just looking very comfortable on offense for most of the game. Also, as much as I'm indifferent about east coast to west coast return-trip being a hinderance that should not effect a game, I'll say that it doesn't help. Anyway, I thought Isiah Oliver jumped off the telecast the most with some big plays. The INT, third down stop, and 4th down stop. 

At least the offense didn't appear to be in a huge funk. That right side of the OL did a better job in pass pro than in Pittsburgh. Run game was dynamite. Purdy is getting some heat for those overthrows, but I really don't think it's a huge deal at this point when considering the circumstances. Was rehabbing most of the offseason, and ideally didn't get as much time with his comrades as he would have probably liked. Also, he's still so inexperienced. Sure he'll have his physical limitations, but even the best of the best have games like that. Just a little bit of turbulence, and people shouldn't overreact. He can clean that up. He also made a lot of money throws over the middle, and didn't have any near INT-throws. Only that fumbled snap was the near-disaster. 

In my heart I feel like I can't even flex the "Same Old Rams" battle howl after this victory. The 49ers won, but two weeks in the Rams are looking a lot better than the pundits and scribes assumed they would be. Myself included. I didn't know that apparently Stafford is the healthiest he's been in quite a few years. He certainly looks that part. Just as impressive is that Rams offensive line. If it continues to keep Stafford upright, he can have a big year. 49ers are lucky they didn't have to contend with this rookie phenom Puka Nacua in addition to Cooper Kupp this soon, or this might have been an L. Rams might bite us down the road. Hopefully not in the playoffs if they knuckle-up. 

Also, I was actually surprised, but not surprised that good ol' #49 himself Earl Cooper for the 49ers still had that rookie receptions record the first two games to start a season. Until Nacua broke it. When Bill Walsh arrived in SF he immediately started having his QBs chuck the rock to the backs. Wilbur Jackson, Bill Ring, and Earl Cooper all caught a truck-ton out the backfield. In later years, Craig, and Rathman of course. Just a footnote that was cool to hear about during the game. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

BTW, I'm really starting to like Mark Sanchez in the booth. The more games I've seen him do, the more I just find myself jiving with his style. Maybe because we're in the same age bracket, but his pop-culture references, and delivery seem well-timed for the most part, and not distracting or overbearing. Also, I feel like he knows what he's talking about, and can dumb-it-down for us yahoos at home. Sanchez feels like the MNF Dennis Miller experiment working out, and not just because he knows the game. 

9 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I dont think the Niners defense showed weakness. It was more of McVay knowing Kyle plus McVay is a great offensive mind. He is no different than Reid with the Chiefs and what they were able to do to the Niners defense when they played them.

Then you add someone like Puka who is basically a Kupp/Woods clone. The Rams didnt have that last season when Kupp was hurt and obviously them trading away Woods. So expect more struggles against the Rams with Puka and when Kupp return.

The best thing that happened to the Niners were a few Rams mistakes. That tipped int from Williams that killed a potential Rams td drive. That holding call on Higbee (which was really a hold on I think Bosa) that killed another potential td drive. The Rams had to settle for a fg. Then that route blunder by Tutu that had he didnt have that blunder wouldve been an easy td. Instead it was a intentional grounding and the Rams had to settle for a fg. So Ill say the Niners got fortunate the Rams had some mistakes on offense or else the defense wouldve looked really bad. 

Overall though I think the Niners are fine. Im picking them to beat the Giants in my survivor pool for TNF. No Barkley I think the Niners win big. 

Again, if Williams just catches the ball, it was going to be 3rd and 10. Your first TD came on a weak personal foul call on Greenlaw as well. If that's not called, the entire drive is different as it becomes 2nd and 14 instead of first and goal from the 7. 

Stafford and the Rams offense started out well, no different from the last meeting in LA. But overall, the Rams were held in check from getting any big gains and that ended up playing into the hands of the defense. Stafford had less than 6 YPA and the team averaged less than 5 YPP. You will almost always take that defensively. It was just annoying how the Rams kept converting all those 3rd downs to keep drives going. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Again, if Williams just catches the ball, it was going to be 3rd and 16. Your first TD came on a weak personal foul call on Greenlaw as well. If that's not called, the entire drive is different as it becomes 2nd and 14 instead of first and goal from the 7. 

Stafford and the Rams offense started out well, no different from the last meeting in LA. But overall, the Rams were held in check from getting any big gains and that ended up playing into the hands of the defense. Stafford had less than 6 YPA and the team averaged less than 5 YPP. You will almost always take that defensively. It was just annoying how the Rams kept converting all those 3rd downs to keep drives going. 

This.

The defense is predicated on the front four getting home and having LBs who are fast, can carry receivers short-intermediate and peruse like madmen. We are a primarily zone defense. Most QBs can't sit in the pocket and find holes in the zone consistently. Stafford did so credit to him.

Stafford was getting the ball out so quick and finding the void that it negated our strength as a unit. Kudos to McVay as he routinely has a good plan to attack our scheme. 

I thought Wilks should have brought more exotic pressures early, but I think he trusted a veteran-led unit would 'get it together.' But it was clear Stafford was getting the ball out too quickly and accurately to sit & wait. We needed to get him off his spot earlier imo.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

Matthew Stafford since joining the Rams against the Niners (6 games)

26-41 243 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs

21-32 238 yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs

31-45 337 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT

32-48 254 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT

22-33 187 Yards, 1 TD, 0 INT

34-55 307 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs

Total = 166-254 1,566 yards, 6.2 YPA, 8 TDs 8 INTs, 79.61 QB Ratings

As good as you can get going up against someone like Stafford in this offense. While at times it looks bad and frustrating, you just have to accept that Stafford is going to do some great things out there but overall the defense has limited him big time. Taking away the deep ball has been the key. The Rams biggest play was only 20 yards. Props to Stafford and the crew for extending drives but eventually mistakes were going to happen. 

On to the next....

• Like 1

https://x.com/LombardiHimself/status/1703534258458103903?s=20

This man is really something else. Just because you overthrow deep throws does not mean you have good arm strength lol. In fact, it shows you can't control the ball on deep throws and lose your touch. 

Purdy is going to eventually need to start hitting some of these deep balls....And he will. Maybe not at an extremely high rate, but this man is not a conservative QB and WANTS to make the big play....I love that about him. Now it's time to execute on those throws and this offense goes up yet another level or two. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

https://x.com/LombardiHimself/status/1703534258458103903?s=20

This man is really something else. Just because you overthrow deep throws does not mean you have good arm strength lol. In fact, it shows you can't control the ball on deep throws and lose your touch. 

Purdy is going to eventually need to start hitting some of these deep balls....And he will. Maybe not at an extremely high rate, but this man is not a conservative QB and WANTS to make the big play....I love that about him. Now it's time to execute on those throws and this offense goes up yet another level or two. 

Not blaming purdy, but it’s not like we have someone who can turn on the afterburners once the ball is in the air. No desean or even Goodwin on this team. I liked the aggressiveness though, but come playoffs he needs to hit those because everything tightens up

Just now, John232 said:

Not blaming purdy, but it’s not like we have someone who can turn on the afterburners once the ball is in the air. No desean or even Goodwin on this team. I liked the aggressiveness though, but come playoffs he needs to hit those because everything tightens up

But I mean not every great deep ball thrower has a special athlete at WR. Those misses were just so damn bad. Deebo ran a fantastic route as did Aiyuk and neither had a chance to make a play at the ball. Even Tyreek Hill on those situations was not going to get to the ball. Purdy's footwork was super inconsistent and flat out bad in some instances yesterday. His accuracy all game was less than ideal. The WRs had to make some very tough catches on plays where it should have been easy completions. Still got the job done and the game was not really ever in doubt in the 4th quarter. So I will take that and hope for a better performance on Thursday. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But I mean not every great deep ball thrower has a special athlete at WR. Those misses were just so damn bad. Deebo ran a fantastic route as did Aiyuk and neither had a chance to make a play at the ball. Even Tyreek Hill on those situations was not going to get to the ball. Purdy's footwork was super inconsistent and flat out bad in some instances yesterday. His accuracy all game was less than ideal. The WRs had to make some very tough catches on plays where it should have been easy completions. Still got the job done and the game was not really ever in doubt in the 4th quarter. So I will take that and hope for a better performance on Thursday. 

This.

Even his very first throw to Kittle was behind him and Kittle had to reach back, across his body to make the grab.

It definitely set the tone for his shaky accuracy throughout the game.