Week 2: San Francisco 49ers at Los Angeles Rams

J-ALL-DAY

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

This is not surprising to me at all. I was wondering about this while watching the game; I was thinking, 'Man, Shanny is such a control freak I bet he's in there telling Wilks how to fix this' during halftime. 

To be clear, I don't see this as a negative. Clearly Shanahan knows ball and the fact that he hasn't siloed himself to just the offense is awesome. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

Formatting issue from Twitter to Footballs Future. A coder forgot a step somewhere in the process.

The way behind posting the physical tweet and yes, I know it’s irritating/time consuming - 

After copying the link from twitter, paste/go in your web browser and then copy the link again (from browser) and you will be able to paste in Footballs Future with the snippet. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StevenK said:

The way behind posting the physical tweet and yes, I know it’s irritating/time consuming - 

After copying the link from twitter, paste/go in your web browser and then copy the link again (from browser) and you will be able to paste in Footballs Future with the snippet. 

Worked, thanks!

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 3:59 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Daniel Brunskill used to have a decent amount of success against Donald but he's with the Titans now. Burford is not good at all right now and he's very young so Donald should have a very good game...Just hope he doesn't cause any TOs. The rest of the DL we should be able to hold up against fairly well. But Donald alone can wreck the game. 

^^^I quoted the wrong thing

I was wondering why they weren't adjusting anything before the 1st half.  I think they rode it out for the whole half before adjusting intentionally, so they would make it hard for the Rams to prepare for the  pressure packages in the 2nd half.  

I thought Wilks's five man pressure package was as good, or better than advertised. It seemed hard to read pre-snap.  I wasn't able to guess the blitzing player based on any formation tendencies.  He mixed things up really well.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

^^^I quoted the wrong thing

I was wondering why they weren't adjusting anything before the 1st half.  I think they rode it out for the whole half before adjusting intentionally, so they would make it hard for the Rams to prepare for the  pressure packages in the 2nd half.  

I thought Wilks's five man pressure package was as good, or better than advertised. It seemed hard to read pre-snap.  I wasn't able to guess the blitzing player based on any formation tendencies.  He mixed things up really well.

Agreed, I do believe he did a better job at disguising the blitzes the second half, but I don’t think we can wait until the second half against better teams to make these kind of adjustments. We should have gotten creative off rip with our blitz packages. I would like for us to play a bit faster. I feel like we play very conservative. 

I’m happy that they pulled Ambry because he was allowing too much cushion and it seemed like all they were doing is curling right in front of him for 5-10 yards. Rams just played smart and took what was given, unfortunately it was the easy separation, soft cushion. 

2 hours ago, StevenK said:

Agreed, I do believe he did a better job at disguising the blitzes the second half, but I don’t think we can wait until the second half against better teams to make these kind of adjustments. We should have gotten creative off rip with our blitz packages. I would like for us to play a bit faster. I feel like we play very conservative. 

I’m happy that they pulled Ambry because he was allowing too much cushion and it seemed like all they were doing is curling right in front of him for 5-10 yards. Rams just played smart and took what was given, unfortunately it was the easy separation, soft cushion. 

Yeah, I think the timing of the Womack injury kinda sucks, but Oliver came in and played surprisingly well.  He looked like the player we expected in free agency.  I wouldn't hate the idea of having Womack as an option here, he is sticky in coverage, but his MCL is not cooperating.

Getting caught in a soft defense by a sharp vet QB happens, but you are right, against better teams we need to get things tightened down sooner than half time.   

13 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I will say that Brock seems to be seeing the field with absolutely outstanding vision. Getting to backside alerts, seeing hots. Busting up some jank coverages specifically designed for our favorite stuff. Love to see him connect on more of those kill shots and Burford playing like massive booty has definitely not helped with that. But the guy just seems to understand what the offense is trying to do all the way through. I don't think we've had that in a quarterback in a long, long time. Most have subsections of plays and route concepts or routes that they time up and throw well. We've got great offensive players. But we would not be #2 (or #3 or whatever depending on your data source) in EPA/play on offense this year if 13 wasn't out there. Especially with the pressure rates we've given up.

Legit teams are dropping 8 in to coverage often against us. They're accepting giving up 6 yards a carry on the ground to try and not get killed. Teams are trying every tricky way to run as many coverage defenders in the middle of the field as they can. We're near the bottom of YAC/reception after leading the NFL for years. And it doesn't freaking matter because Brock's hitting back shoulders down the sidelines and anticipating comebacks and speed outs. Brutal. He's gotta hit those bigger shots against better teams. But he's already proven a lot to me in terms of taking getting game planned for. The first time Jimmy had an off-season to be game planned for, he played like booty (even if we were a much worse team and he had to rely on Dante Pettis). He played like booty because the Vikings stacked the middle of the field and jumped his favorite ins and slants. Brock's thriving in spite of that attention.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 4

On 9/19/2023 at 9:45 AM, StevenK said:

Also, if you use the Twitter app, the link still should embed as "twitter.com" rather than X.com. if your link address still says Twitter, should embed with no issues. 

I've talked to Webby about it, eventually the site should embed the x.com tweets as well, but not sure when that will be