Week 2 GDT: Washington Commanders @ Denver Broncos

Broncofan

14 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Anyway, most of this disaster is at the feet of one guy. Just imagine if he'd done nothing more than let Vic finish his contract

The team was in a better position to move forward under this scenario, even if Vic wasn't getting it done. We had draft capital and a better team. Look at us now, wow.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Can I get something off my chest? Courtland Sutton is so mediocre and might just be bad 

The injuries crushed him. He has none of the explosiveness left and frankly looks kind of disinterested out there. I think there's a number of guys we just need to move on from and he's atop that list.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, champ11 said:

Does anyone recommend any Broncos podcasts? Not feeling the DNVR one 

I don't know any, to be honest. They are either too serious, or not serious enough.

I enjoyed DNVR when RK was on it (he was on the post-game one just gone), but it's gone too soft now.

Todd Davis gives some decent insight as a recently retired pro, but he's too adverse to criticising the players. And, none of the other hosts ever disagree with him because they are intimidated by the fact he's an ex-pro.

Let's start our own - I'm sure my wife won't mind me doing a Podcast at 1am each week ......

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I don't know any, to be honest. They are either too serious, or not serious enough.

I enjoyed DNVR when RK was on it (he was on the post-game one just gone), but it's gone too soft now.

Todd Davis gives some decent insight as a recently retired pro, but he's too adverse to criticising the players. And, none of the other hosts ever disagree with him because they are intimidated by the fact he's an ex-pro.

Let's start our own - I'm sure my wife won't mind me doing a Podcast at 1am each week ......

Some podcast-related news: D-Mac is not on The Drive on Denver Sports anymore (104.3 The Fan). He was just let go. 

On Mile High Report, I do like Broncos Odds & End Zones with Adam Malnati and Ian St. Clair. 

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Gotta give a group some time to catch their stride, but yeah the new crew together is so bad right now lol 

Shoutout to my long retired podcast on the rocks sports 2016-2018 ..... right idea, product not good enough. anyone that is great on the radio or podcast is very talented lol 

It's fascinating to see the comments on the different approaches Denver can/should take towards this season.

Far too many fans are happy to end up picking 10-15th again, only to miss out on elite QB prospects and start the whole cycle over again next year. Broncos fans need to drop this weird badge of honor around tanking and just embrace it for a season. QB is the single most important position in any sport, and acquiring a young, talented QB in the draft (and the lower salary associated with it) is the #1 way to win in this sport.

The Broncos are not winning a SB with Russell Wilson. It's just not going to happen. We've been spinning our wheels since 2015 hoping that journeyman QBs could come in here and do enough to keep the team afloat while we built around them. None of that has worked. None of that is going to be good enough to beat the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, etc

If Denver starts 0-3, or 2-7 (which is possible given the schedule), it needs to be a full teardown. There's nothing to be gained from another 5-12/6-11 finish, the 10th pick in the draft, and the chance at the 3rd best DL or the 3rd best CB. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

It's fascinating to see the comments on the different approaches Denver can/should take towards this season.

Far too many fans are happy to end up picking 10-15th again, only to miss out on elite QB prospects and start the whole cycle over again next year. Broncos fans need to drop this weird badge of honor around tanking and just embrace it for a season. QB is the single most important position in any sport, and acquiring a young, talented QB in the draft (and the lower salary associated with it) is the #1 way to win in this sport.

The Broncos are not winning a SB with Russell Wilson. It's just not going to happen. We've been spinning our wheels since 2015 hoping that journeyman QBs could come in here and do enough to keep the team afloat while we built around them. None of that has worked. None of that is going to be good enough to beat the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, etc

If Denver starts 0-3, or 2-7 (which is possible given the schedule), it needs to be a full teardown. There's nothing to be gained from another 5-12/6-11 finish, the 10th pick in the draft, and the chance at the 3rd best DL or the 3rd best CB. 

Right. The people on Mile High Huddle on You Tube were basically talking about being back on track after beating Miami. I don't see that happening. 

2 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Right. The people on Mile High Huddle on You Tube were basically talking about being back on track after beating Miami. I don't see that happening. 

There's always a path - any given Sunday.   It usually involves being +2 or better on TO's (see: our super-improbable W @ DAL 2 years ago).     FWIW, I think we'll lose, but cover the spread (not that it matters to non-bettors, but 0-2 ATS teams have a ridiculous ATS win rate week 3).    

To actually count on a W, though, is pretty much a lot of copium at this stage.   I do take a lot of good signs from the O, but it comes with recognition we're so limited in how we get better with our D holes, and how little depth we have at key positions (Jeudy & Mims are the only 2 WR's who can create separation consistently, and Mims doesn't have a full route tree; we have no TE's with Dulcich on IR who can win on their own, and our D issues are too numerous to re-hash, we've been through it already). 

I'll also point out the obvious that Fangio will be looking to exact a lot of revenge here.  As much as he failed as a HC, there's no disputing he's a top 5 DC.     It will be a great chess match in terms of planning with Payton vs. Fangio - sadly, the limits Russ has right now should be pretty easy for Fangio to ID and plan for.   

The issue is our D can't handle MIA's speed on O, and McDaniel is a great planner and this year, he upped his game management.   Last year, he was balls-to-the-wall all-pass; take it away, and McDaniel didn't adjust (Tua hurt obv didn't help, but coaching-wise, that was McDaniel's biggest flaw).  This year, he's already shown if teams want to just concede run, he'll take it - that's how they beat NE and BB.   That kind of maturation is great for MIA's prospects.   We can likely contain Hill, or Waddle, but both?  That's tough.  And MIA will use their secondary WR/TE's and RB's, which is where losing Sterns really hurts us in a massive way.   Just too many holes to fill right now.

Realistically, we'll likely need to be +2 in the TO game to have any chance of winning at MIA.   There's always a path, but it looks pretty narrow. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

There's always a path - any given Sunday.   It usually involves being +2 or better on TO's (see: our super-improbable W @ DAL 2 years ago).     FWIW, I think we'll lose, but cover the spread (not that it matters to non-bettors, but 0-2 ATS teams have a ridiculous ATS win rate).    

To actually count on a W, though, is pretty much a lot of copium at this stage.   I do take a lot of good signs from the O, but it comes with recognition we're so limited in how we get better with our D holes, and how little depth we have at key positions (Jeudy & Mims are the only 2 WR's who can create separation consistently, and Mims doesn't have a full route tree; we have no TE's with Dulcich on IR who can win on their own, and our D issues are too numerous to re-hash, we've been through it already). 

I'll also point out the obvious that Fangio will be looking to exact a lot of revenge here.  As much as he failed as a HC, there's no disputing he's a top 5 DC.     It will be a great chess match in terms of planning with Payton vs. Fangio - sadly, the limits Russ has right now should be pretty easy for Fangio to ID and plan for.   

The issue is our D can't handle MIA's speed on O, and McDaniel is a great planner and this year, he upped his game management.   Last year, he was balls-to-the-wall all-pass; take it away, and McDaniel didn't adjust (Tua hurt obv didn't help, but coaching-wise, that was McDaniel's biggest flaw).  This year, he's already shown if teams want to just concede run, he'll take it - that's how they beat NE and BB.   That kind of maturation is great for MIA's prospects.   We can likely contain Hill, or Waddle, but both?  That's tough.  And MIA will use their secondary WR/TE's and RB's, which is where losing Sterns really hurts us in a massive way.   Just too many holes to fill right now.

Realistically, we'll likely need to be +2 in the TO game to have any chance of winning at MIA.   There's always a path, but it looks pretty narrow. 

And we have like one win in our entire history playing in Miami.

On 9/18/2023 at 11:37 AM, broncosfan_101 said:

Heard a brief clip of Terrell Davis on the radio this morning, and he talked about something very interesting: our defence has been vastly overrated the last few seasons because of how conservatively teams play against us. The offence has been so incredibly inept that teams know, if they just come in here and take care of the football, they’ll be able to outscore us without taking any chances. So while this looks like defensive regression, when teams *need* to put points up against us, it’s never been a problem. The offence has just so rarely put teams in position where they *need* to put points up. 

Get TD back on TV.

After years of berating and saying this defence was way overrated I finally bought what everyone else was saying last year.  Big big mistake.  I was right in saying they were overvalued for the past three years and TD is spot on with regard to why.  PS this team flat out sucks.  I mean Surtain is a star but the rest of it, the ones we hope will grow, they are all Meh!  No superstars at all.   

4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Far too many fans are happy to end up picking 10-15th again, only to miss out on elite QB prospects and start the whole cycle over again next year. Broncos fans need to drop this weird badge of honor around tanking and just embrace it for a season. QB is the single most important position in any sport, and acquiring a young, talented QB in the draft (and the lower salary associated with it) is the #1 way to win in this sport

I feel the same way with Vegas. Staying in the middle does nothing. Plus side it's looking like a good year to need a QB. 

Say the Broncos go full teardown, what does that look like? They have enough talent to win a couple games and put them out of reach of the top 2-3 QBs. And they don't have picks to make a trade. 

What players could you trade to acquire assets? Jeudy, Simmons. Surtain has to be untouchable right? 

38 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I feel the same way with Vegas. Staying in the middle does nothing. Plus side it's looking like a good year to need a QB. 

Say the Broncos go full teardown, what does that look like? They have enough talent to win a couple games and put them out of reach of the top 2-3 QBs. And they don't have picks to make a trade. 

What players could you trade to acquire assets? Jeudy, Simmons. Surtain has to be untouchable right? 

Realistically we could actually be bad enough to just outright get a top3 pick. If not, we could certainly trade Simmons for a first, Jeudy maybe for a 2nd. Wouldn't be the worst draft capital if we did that