The Killing (Justin) Fields

notthatbluestuff

He's bad.  Some things you can fix, but I feel like he lacks the instincts of an NFL QB and there isn't much a coach can do about that.  And considering the lack of running he did at Ohio State (compared to his peers with similar athleticism) and his rookie year, it sure seems like he had the flukiest stretch of games last year with how dominant he was on the ground.  949 of his 1625 career rushing yards came in that final 10-game stretch - 676 yards in his other 19 games.  In college he finished with only 1033 career rushing yards.

At least the Bears have a lot of picks and there will be some options in the 2024 Draft.  But I don't see Fields being the guy.  Some guys just don't have it and he's one of them.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

I have no idea why people were wanting to build around him in the off-season when he was just as terrible last year! He just put up okay fantasy numbers from running the ball.

There was no Luck or Burrow coming out last year so it made sense to trade back and ride with him for another year.  

• Like 2

I still think that Fields has a lot of potential, but its becoming ever more clear that this offensive coaching staff isn't doing its job.  Fields can deliver a great ball with velocity and accuracy, but the playcalling is absolutely atrocious.  The biggest thing i've observed so far for Fields is that he can have all the time in the world in the pocket and he still holds onto the ball too long and misses open reads.  I'm sure thats mostly on him, but I think that some of that could be improved with competent coaching and he does not have that.  My guess is he is not long for this league.  Theres no one else on staff that would likely do a good job with playcalling and I'm guessing Fields is out if he doesn't show a huge level of improvement between now and the end of the season anyway.  

• Like 1

Two things can be true:

Justin Fields is playing very poorly and is looking more and more like a bust(I always thought this would be the case).

The Bears offensive staff is doing him absolutely NO favors with how they are calling games/coaching him. The scheme is terrible and they aren't doing nearly enough with him as a runner which will make things easier in the passing game.

From my point of view: if this continues the Bears need to just fire everyone and start over...... again. Their coaching staff seems completely in over their heads, and the way Poles attempted to build the team this offseason was beyond confusing. Just a terrible job by everyone so far, but they have a chance to turn it around as it is only week 2.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Two things can be true:

Justin Fields is playing very poorly and is looking more and more like a bust(I always thought this would be the case).

The Bears offensive staff is doing him absolutely NO favors with how they are calling games/coaching him. The scheme is terrible and they aren't doing nearly enough with him as a runner which will make things easier in the passing game.

From my point of view: if this continues the Bears need to just fire everyone and start over...... again. Their coaching staff seems completely in over their heads, and the way Poles attempted to build the team this offseason was beyond confusing. Just a terrible job by everyone so far, but they have a chance to turn it around as it is only week 2.

My guess is Poles is safe.  He was hired onto the team with the promise that he was going to blow it up and start from scratch, which is not something previous GMs the Bears have had were preaching.  My guess is that internal team expectations were on the low side to begin with, and that this season literally the only goal was see if Fields can get it done.  I could see a clean sweep of the coaching staff, though for some reason my gut tells me it'll be a culling of the offensive coaching staff and ending there.  The Bears haven't tended to be an org that likes to clean house after just 2 seasons, but if we are in a position where the #1 draft pick is in the sights again, I say fire them all, hire the best offensive mind on the market and let him take his QB.  We've had 4 consecutive coaching staffs who started out their time in Chicago where they were asked to make a QB work that was already on the roster, and then given permission after the fact to clean up the mess.  Next HC should be given the opportunity to get his guy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jameson_Neat said:

Only two designed running plays is laughable. That's the only thing he's good at executing.

The thing is...in the bigger picture, what does having Fields run around really accomplish?  It just dances around the real question and obscures what he really is.  The purpose of this season has to be to find out if Fields can actually hack it as a passer and a real quarterback.  If he can't do that, you can't move forward with him and have to change course.

Given how completely incapable Fields has looked in executing a functional passing game...the worst thing that could happen, would be turning him loose to run all over the place a bunch and potentially sneak out a couple wins on that.  Taking them out of range to have their choice of the actual quarterbacks in the draft.

Makes sense to me to either find out if Fields can get his **** together as a passer, or let him drive the tank trying.  Frankly, it's not like the Bears have any real appreciable "cornerstones" in the fold that they're going to want to build the future around, so you don't even entirely have to worry about poisoning the culture in the room.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The thing is...in the bigger picture, what does having Fields run around really accomplish?  It just dances around the real question and obscures what he really is.  The purpose of this season.... 

.. is to show you are capable of putting your players in the best position to win games so that the organization may retain your services in the future. 

• Like 1