CLE hires John Dorsey as GM

Broncofan

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Right and all Im saying is clearly had those assurances or else he wouldnt have taken it.

Or, he was just desperate to get a GM's job and willing to take anything. After all, we are talking big $$$'s. I cannot believe for a minute, he wanted Hue and DePodesta to stay on and not want his own people in those positions who would be loyal to him or have 2 guys who would have the owner's ear and snip at him over every decision he made. With Haslam, you get 2 years to turn things around and I refuse to believe he wants his fate in Hue's hands and not his own choice as HC. Hate to say it, but if true, it looks a lot like more of the same, with Haslam pulling the strings??? G.D help us !!!

Yeah, this is a good hire for them....and if they let him get rid of HueJ Mistake, they will better much better off going forward.   They have young talent to work with and alot of draft capital and money.    The only major question beyond that would be if Haslam can stay out of the way.

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yea, does anybody have the real reason why the Cheifs let him go if he was that good? Was it his attitude or something because if thats the case then here is a picture of him and Gregg Williams in the conference room on draft night.

Didn't play with others, at times. Others in the front office, and the players themselves. Also struggled a little bit with cap management.

Basic overview of what to expect. Excellent talent evaluation, good use of draft capital, and some solid value free agent details. On the flip side, he'll piss off your star players in contract negotiations, rub higher ups the wrong way at times, and none of your big contracts will be structured with long term options in mind.

I was torn on letting Dorsey go. He played a big part in building this team. He wasn't entirely responsible (we were far more talented than our record showed in 2012), but he played a big part in it for sure. And he was showing no sign of slowing down in acquiring talent. But for all the credit he deserves for building the team up, he also deserves blame for how difficult he has made it to keep the team together. The contract extensions he's put out show no apparent foresight. Extensions to aging players feature heavy amounts of dead money even in the last year of the contracts, he doesn't really leave any plan for the team to back out of expensive deals if they don't pan out, and he cut players seemingly without considering the dead money they give. We have $15M in dead money this year. Already have $6M on the books next year. The Jaye Howard and Jeremy Maclin cuts were both unexpected, unpopular, and extremely expensive. We're still paying Tamba $10M this year to play an incredibly minimal snap count because it would cost us more to cut him than keep him. If Derrick Johnson didn't keep voluntarily taking pay cuts we'd be in even worse shape. What all this has amounted to, is for as much talent as is currently on our roster, there's also a heck of a lot of Chiefs talent on other rosters around the NFL that we couldn't afford to or didn't try to retain. Our secondary depth looks bad right now, mostly because it's in Arizona (Branch), Chicago (Cooper, Demps), Oakland (Smith), Seattle (McDougald), and Carolina (Coleman.) I could do something similar with the OL. And I know you can't afford everybody, but better structured deals for Hali or Colquitt or Johnson or Howard or Maclin could've gone a long way to covering up some of our current holes that our departures have left.

He also managed to piss off Justin Houston, Eric Berry, and Jamaal Charles at various points during contract negotiations or meetings, which....isn't exactly ideal.

But still, think it's a real good get for Cleveland. They need what he's good at (talent evaluation and acquisition) more than they need what he's bad at.

6 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Or, he was just desperate to get a GM's job and willing to take anything. After all, we are talking big $$$'s. I cannot believe for a minute, he wanted Hue and DePodesta to stay on and not want his own people in those positions who would be loyal to him or have 2 guys who would have the owner's ear and snip at him over every decision he made. With Haslam, you get 2 years to turn things around and I refuse to believe he wants his fate in Hue's hands and not his own choice as HC. Hate to say it, but if true, it looks a lot like more of the same, with Haslam pulling the strings??? G.D help us !!!

I don't disagree with you, but I'll play devil's advocate here.

Dorsey sees a job that, for a GM has as much to work with as any in league history. The one potential issues are having to keep the coach, the nerd and the owner.

Hue, for all of his issues was, and still may be, well respected around the league.  I thinks it's plausible Dorsey looked at Hue and said "he'll do". The alternative is he said "he'll be canned within a year and I'll bring my guy in then."

As far as DePodesta, I am holding out hope that Dorsey is a forward thinking fella who can't wait to work with a genius who revolutionized another professional sport and plans to blend moneyball principals with his traditional talent evolutions. 

The first person to ruin that last bit for me will become my mortal enemy and I will wish daily that a mule kicks you in the nuts.  You've been warned.

Finally there's Haslam.  If anyone believes anything he says, they're an idiot. Somehow this moron keeps getting qualified people to agree to his nonsense.  Dorsey will likely regret overlooking this one.

9 hours ago, iPwn said:

Uhhh... how did they not violate the Rooney Rule?

Who cares?  The Rooney Rule is insulting and there isn't a single person out there who should be a fan of it.  It was necessary twenty, thirty years ago, but at this point it's just an insult.  If there's a guy you want, it's a slap in the face to anybody who interviews to satisfy the Rooney Rule.  Even in the cases where it works, it's an insult to anybody who gets the job because of the Rooney Rule because it suggests they couldn't get it without the rule. 

11 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Don't ask me if those interviews were just for show, which I would be willing to bet large sums of money that they were.

The rule itself is a bit of a joke in the first place, if someone is interested in a specific candidate they'll go through the motions with someone else to satisfy this rule and move onto the actual one they care about landing. Or perhaps that candidate would have satisfied the rule regardless.

12 hours ago, Broncofan said:

OK, this makes the Sashi Brown firing better...unless they make Dorsey keep Hue Jackson.

Dorsey's a great draft GM but he'll owe all the success for 2019-2021 to the draft groundwork Sashi Brown made - 100M cap space, 1.1, HOU's 1st, 3 2nds and 3 3rds, and a roster full of young, cheap talent (but yes, QB 1st & foremost left to fill).   God please for Browns fans let him have full control...including the decision to keep/fire Hue Jackson.  

I disagree.  Dorsey's a terrible draft GM.  He overdrafts players.  He had the tendency to take late 2nd-rd/early 3rd rd talents in the 1st rd and 5th rd talents in the 2nd.   

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Your not happy with Kareem Hunt, Tyreke Hill, Travis Kelce, Marcus Peters, Dee Ford, Chris Jones and Pat Mahommes in waiting? All while locking up Tamba Hali, Justin Houston and Eric Berry long term?

I mean what more could you want

I wouldn't be either.  Dorsey had nothing to do with Hali, Houston or Berry.  I disagree with some of what others have said, as I believe he is rather mediocre at talent evaluation and contract negotiation.  For every "hit" you mentioned, he's got 5 other draft picks that have done little to nothing.  Honestly, I believe this is going to be another failed hire, because he's going to waste most of those picks that the Browns have on players who really have no business being in the NFL.  

As one of the leading advocats of do not fire Sashi because you can not get anything better I will take my crow medium rare extra hot sauce with a cold beer.

Congratulations haslams It is a great idea to get somebody else to draft the  qb.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don't disagree with you, but I'll play devil's advocate here.

Dorsey sees a job that, for a GM has as much to work with as any in league history. The one potential issues are having to keep the coach, the nerd and the owner.

Hue, for all of his issues was, and still may be, well respected around the league.  I thinks it's plausible Dorsey looked at Hue and said "he'll do". The alternative is he said "he'll be canned within a year and I'll bring my guy in then."

As far as DePodesta, I am holding out hope that Dorsey is a forward thinking fella who can't wait to work with a genius who revolutionized another professional sport and plans to blend moneyball principals with his traditional talent evolutions. 

The first person to ruin that last bit for me will become my mortal enemy and I will wish daily that a mule kicks you in the nuts.  You've been warned.

Finally there's Haslam.  If anyone believes anything he says, they're an idiot. Somehow this moron keeps getting qualified people to agree to his nonsense.  Dorsey will likely regret overlooking this one.

my 2nd fav football team is now the FBI

32 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I wouldn't be either.  Dorsey had nothing to do with Hali, Houston or Berry.  I disagree with some of what others have said, as I believe he is rather mediocre at talent evaluation and contract negotiation.  For every "hit" you mentioned, he's got 5 other draft picks that have done little to nothing.  Honestly, I believe this is going to be another failed hire, because he's going to waste most of those picks that the Browns have on players who really have no business being in the NFL.  

Eh, I personally think Dorsey is an alright, but not spectacular GM, but let's not forget that every GM in the league has far more misses than hits in the draft... it's virtually impossible to hit on all your picks. The average draft class for a team will produce around 2 or 3 longterm starters on a good year.

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Eh, I personally think Dorsey is an alright, but not spectacular GM, but let's not forget that every GM in the league has far more misses than hits in the draft... it's virtually impossible to hit on all your picks. The average draft class for a team will produce around 2 or 3 starters on a good year.

That's basically my thought.  I find him rather underwhelming as a talent evaluator or a contract negotiator.  I think if you're thinking he's going to be able to rebuild the Browns, I think you're mistaken, as I just don't think he's all that good at doing so.  He's average, at best.  

Archived