Let's talk Bryce Young

notthatbluestuff

“Literally. Nothing," he replied with a laugh. "I was kind of away from football for the most part, just living every other aspect of my life. Just hanging out, being around family, being around friends, getting back to a routine that doesn't revolve as much around football. For me, it was still being able to just enjoy and work out, but the Xs and Os actual football part, kind of stepping away from it.”

-Bryce Young(when asked about his offseason)

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Dude was literally jumping from inside the pocket to try and complete passes.

Reminds me of colt mccoy on the browns. Couldn’t see over the line and when he did he had a defender in his face. He would jump throw interceptions. 

8 hours ago, Chiefer said:

“Literally. Nothing," he replied with a laugh. "I was kind of away from football for the most part, just living every other aspect of my life. Just hanging out, being around family, being around friends, getting back to a routine that doesn't revolve as much around football. For me, it was still being able to just enjoy and work out, but the Xs and Os actual football part, kind of stepping away from it.”

-Bryce Young(when asked about his offseason)

So the work ethic isn’t there, as well as no elite skills.  

As the kids say…….cooked.  Or is it washed now?  

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Skibidy toilet 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think the more forgiving interpretation is he was overwhelmed and terrible at his job for the first time in his life.

Look at his reaction when he throws this pick, he's devastated to the point he's almost crying:

The guy clearly cares and is trying his best. I don't think this is work ethic thing.

Totally agreed though, zero elite traits and a complete mystery as to how the draft process didn't suss this out. But that's not on Young, that's on the Panthers and QB evaluation as a whole.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think the more forgiving interpretation is he was overwhelmed and terrible at his job for the first time in his life.

Look at his reaction when he throws this pick, he's devastated to the point he's almost crying:

The guy clearly cares and is trying his best. I don't think this is work ethic thing.

Totally agreed though, zero elite traits and a complete mystery as to how the draft process didn't suss this out. But that's not on Young, that's on the Panthers and QB evaluation as a whole.

That could be another interpretation, absolutely.  But I am worried that Young would say something like he did to the media in a public statement.  That’s……not a good optic.  

I’d also argue it might not even be on many people in the Panthers organization if Tepper was dead-set on it.  Having experienced an owner like that, the staff is basically having their hands tied and then having to work through the rest of the draft trying to make up for that choice.  

At least with Jerry Jones, he’s acting as the GM and owns the entire process.  Guys like Snyder and Tepper don’t do that, they just meddle.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think the more reasonable interpretation is he was overwhelmed and terrible at his job for the first time in his life.

I think that everyone cares on game day, but does he care in the off-season and during practice? I’m not in the building so I’m not going to speculate there.

Everyone handles failure differently; some need to mentally and physically get away, others need to go all in head on, like Cal Ripken when he was in a slump and was taking on field BP with a tee alone on the field in September when the orioles were already eliminated.

The optics for someone who was this bad as a rookie aren’t good for him to be that flippant about his offseason, because the NFL is an unforgiving place, but he put some of this on himself with some pretty out of touch comments he made at Alabama with one of the most cringeworthy and inaccurate Heisman speeches I’ve seen. 

I legitimately don’t understand how people missed on him when as a novice sitting on my couch I could see a very small guy who was a 1 read and run QB and the reincarnation of Johnny Football on the field (not persona wise) but smaller and surrounded by infinitely more talent went in the first round, let alone pick, let alone having that kind of capital traded for him.

I think he’s not a viable starter or maybe even backup in this league, but they also haven’t given him much of any talent help either.

• Like 1