Week 6 GDT: TNF Broncos @ Chiefs

BroncoSojia

The result, a loss, was not unexpected. The score was. The defense gave a good effort, they weren’t the reason we lost tonight. You hold KC to 19, no excuse not to win. Three T/Os offense, both interceptions came after we were moving the ball nicely. 

Now we enter an interesting part of the season with the mini bye and there a lot of trade rumor smoke around some of our players. Anyone want to wager at least one player who started tonight for us is in a different team for his next game?

• Like 2

Well, that was a L as expected - but not in the way we expected. 

The Good:

-The secondary showed up and played well overall, ESP in run support.    That was encouraging, as a good portion of run D is coaching and effort - the guys showed a ton more effort in run D.

-The run game was functional.

-They played with heart. 

The Bad:

-The O performance was absymal.   There's plenty of blame to go around - Russ was just terrible at seeing the field, that first pick was a killer - because Payton contracted the pass game after that, only willing to throw it short until the end.   Throwing it short did 2 horrible things - first, it made it easy for KC to defend the pass given our inability to separate.   More importantly, it made it far easier for KC to play the run in the 2H.      We focus on the power run game, and then throw it intermediate-deep, good things happen.  But you have to trust the QB to make the right reads.   Wilson's inability to make the reads really got Payton shook from his original plan.   Can't say I blame him.

-I've been and still am a huge believer in Jeudy's talent.   But if you decide to cuss out SSS in pregame, you're basically saying you're going to be huge that game.  Jeudy wasn't.     If you can't cash cheques your mouth writes, you deserve all the heat that Jeudy's going to get the next 10 days.     No excuses, that was downright embarrassing (ESP when SSS was approaching Jeudy to apologize for earlier assessments he said he was wrong on).

-The tackles really struggled tonight in pass pro (and yes, Russ didn't help the out at all, either).   But Mike McGlinchey was supposed to be a run anchor.   He missed a couple of huge assignments (especially on the 3rd and 1 early in the game).   I get it, 1-2 plays doesn't define you, but man that was an absolute killer.

-From a personnel standpoint, I get that Greg Dulcich can't play a full snap count.   But for Adam Trautman out there in the 2 min drill, when you are only passing, that's a major fail on Payton's deployment.   Same goes for the pitiful snap count that Marvin Mims got tonight.    The one guy that can separate besides Jeudy, and you played Brandon Johnson and Lil' Jordan Humphrey for 85+ percent of the snaps.   That's simply got to change.  I say that as someone who gets that Mims doesn't have the full route tree - but at some point, you have to put playmakers out there.

-While the D was much better - how you let Travis Kelce go 9-120+ when you know he's the alpha weapon....is frustrating to say the least.   If Rashee Rice or Kadarius Toney beats you, tip the cap to Andy Reid.   To let Kelce go unchecked on 4+ passes was insane.   Sigh @ VJ there.  

I never went in with any expectations that DEN would win.....but they somehow managed to create more frustration anyways.   The only silver lining - for all of Payton's earlier talk, I'm sure their willingness to deal before the trade deadline went up.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The result, a loss, was not unexpected. The score was. The defense gave a good effort, they weren’t the reason we lost tonight. You hold KC to 19, no excuse not to win. Three T/Os offense, both interceptions came after we were moving the ball nicely. 

Now we enter an interesting part of the season with the mini bye and there a lot of trade rumor smoke around some of our players. Anyone want to wager at least one player who started tonight for us is in a different team for his next game?

I think we know Frank Clark is a goner, but he was inactive.   For all of Payton's talk about not wanting to trade anyone, I think we all know what's up.    

I know he can't help being short, but Russ's inability to hit any quick short passes over the middle or any short passes over the middle for that matter is so frustrating. I can't help but think that this really hinders wideouts ability to get open. Linebackers are able to sink into coverage so much against us when playing zone. I'm no expert on CB techniques but I would think it gives you a major edge knowing its pretty unlikely that you are gonna be seeing any drag routes or quick slants inside the hash. 

Jeudy doesn't have the skillset to be a Justin Jefferson/Jamar Chase type receiver who can produce in any offense but I honestly think he will be very productive in an offense without Russ's limitations. If he is traded it will probably be for the best, but might be a little depressing if he starts doing work.

• Like 3

Well this news both excuses Payton for having Trautman in the 2 minute drill - but man, whichever poster said Dulcich is a mirage whose existence he refuses to acknowledge was prescient for this year.   A reinjury of the hammy is awful news - that's a 4-6 week absence.  Great. 

Fair play to the Defense. I've been so critical of them, but they played with a lot of heart. I think the scoreline flattered them a bit, however you have to credit them for making big stops when it mattered.

I think this puts to bed the, "Russ isn't the problem narrative" now. He isn't the SOLE problem; yet we all know the value of the position and he was dreadful again.

We have to mention Sean Payton. Firstly, those max protect play actions without Marvin Mims are a joke. Stop doing it, it's not working. 

Secondly, did you all notice the time out at the end of the 2nd quarter? I assumed it was a mistake on the telecast. We called time out on 4th and 12 to stop the clock for the Chiefs.

Payton admitted after the game it was a "bonheaded mistake" because he thought it was 3rd down .............. It cost us 3 points.

Imagine if that was Hackett. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Fair play to the Defense. I've been so critical of them, but they played with a lot of heart. I think the scoreline flattered them a bit, however you have to credit them for making big stops when it mattered.

I think this puts to bed the, "Russ isn't the problem narrative" now. He isn't the SOLE problem; yet we all know the value of the position and he was dreadful again.

We have to mention Sean Payton. Firstly, those max protect play actions without Marvin Mims are a joke. Stop doing it, it's not working. 

Secondly, did you all notice the time out at the end of the 2nd quarter? I assumed it was a mistake on the telecast. We called time out on 4th and 12 to stop the clock for the Chiefs.

Payton admitted after the game it was a "bonheaded mistake" because he thought it was 3rd down .............. It cost us 3 points.

Payton's time out management has always been abysmal.  That was one of our main complaints with him over the years, other than the inability to field a defense that wasn't historically bad.  Timeouts for the silliest of things, and then of course, no time left on the clock for us to do anything when we needed it.  

22 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I was confused why you'd call a timeout there but ultimately shrugged it off as "no way they'll be able to score here with 15 seconds." 

But, Mahomes. The equivalent of Zach Wilson not getting the spike off in time from last week before half time which was (rightfully) scrutinized by everyone. 

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

We have to mention Sean Payton. Firstly, those max protect play actions without Marvin Mims are a joke. Stop doing it, it's not working

Come on, when you have the option for max protect play action with only Chris Manhertz as an option, you gotta do it, right?  Lol. 

Like I’ve said before as an O mind Payton has 3 flaws:  he gets too cute at times with gadget plays, falls in love with some guys over clearly better players, and terrible clock management (we saw it with WAS late 4Q and now this). 2 of them were on display last night.    

It’s also very clear he’s the main reason the O was functional - it’s that Payton is working around Russell Wilson’s limitations.    But yeah, the Mims-on-ice has to stop.   To this point: 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Jeudy and it will be for a much lower pick that fans anticipate.

8 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Completely disagree with you. When you gave almost 400 yds the only reason the Chiefs score 19 is: haughtiness

See the fake FG , the Mahomes's pick was awful he threw a desesperate pass knowing "no problem" Broncos are so bad.

Chiefs have a horrible WR's. The offense is on the decline and survie only by Kelce. But at 34 i'm not sure this team can reach AFC Final this year.

Bronos Defense D- Offense F ST C-

How can Sean PAYTON justify the presence of Perkins and Mathis in this roster?
With Surtain's lack of tackling effort his trade value went down to a 2nd round pick. Nothing to keep in this roster. There are 52 unemployed players who are more motivated than these

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Defense played pretty well all things considered. Offense looked like if you plucked 11 of us from the forum and threw us out there to compete. Just bad.

Payton hasn't been immune from coaching mistakes but that TO was so bad. I still maintain there's an element of purposeful tanking going on here. Just seems too obvious.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Dump Jeudy for literally anything. Absolutely embarrassing, just get him the hell out of Denver ASAP. Such a loser. 

He needs to leave for his own good. Vic mentioned something on Twitter about it, but it's been thrown around for awhile. It's clear he's just not happy here. Seems like he's in a bad spot. I think it's best for both parties to just move on.

• Like 1