2024 Offseason Thread: Dodgers Betting Big On Ohtani

hrubes20

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

Holy Jesus $700m?!?  I guess I’m ok the Cubs didnt go that high.  Now, take that $500m and spread it among all other FAs (said every team in on Ohtani…).

I'm not.  Ohtani is literally the best player on the planet.  You pay the man whatever is necessary as a big market in a sport without a hard salary cap.  

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Insane if he stops pitching in 3 years 

That's obviously the big gamble.  Dodgers are paying him $35 million a year to be their DH, and $35 million a year to be their #2 pitcher.  If he can't pitch effectively again after his 2nd elbow procedure, they have a $70 million DH.  

• Like 1

Just now, hrubes20 said:

I'm not.  Ohtani is literally the best player on the planet.  You pay the man whatever is necessary as a big market in a sport without a hard salary cap.  

That's obviously the big gamble.  Dodgers are paying him $35 million a year to be their DH, and $35 million a year to be their #2 pitcher.  If he can't pitch effectively again after his 2nd elbow procedure, they have a $70 million DH.  

I'm sure he will be able to pitch effectively after his internal brace procedure, but for how long? 3 years if they're lucky? 

On 12/7/2023 at 6:54 PM, Leader said:

You make this move. You dont *not* sign Soto for Michael King. I can live without Brito & Vasquez. Not saying they're bad pitchers necessarily (and SD wanting them is proof) but will they become truly dominant pitchers when (if) they're given a full load? I cant say they will - therefore - you dont hold up signing Soto for Michael King. 

The guy's publicly stated "Everybody wants to play for the Yankees" - so I wouldnt put his signing long term as impossible. He'll be 26 when/if he hits FA. Thats prime territory.

Brito and Vasquez are just arms, we had excess depth

King and Thorpe have potential