The National Championship Thread: #1 Michigan vs #2 Washington, 1/8, 7:30 PM

MikeT14

22 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

How poetic that the last time a Pac12 football team takes the field, it's for a national championship against a future conference rival. 

How poetic that the last time Washington went into the last game of the season undefeated with a lefty QB against Michigan, they won the National Championship. 

Screw the poetry, I want a bloodbath. Should he a great game. 

UW with the slight upset, 27-24

Wasn't Billy Joe Hobert Washington's QB when they beat Michigan and Grbac? 

1 hour ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Wasn't Billy Joe Hobert Washington's QB when they beat Michigan and Grbac? 

He started after Brunell went down. Brunell did ay though, and if I remember correctly, was a team captain. Cclukd he wrong though. Good catch either way!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

He started after Brunell went down. Brunell did ay though, and if I remember correctly, was a team captain. Cclukd he wrong though. Good catch either way!

Read a little about it afterward.  Brunnell went down in the spring game, and Hobert took over for the season.  Brunnell did come back and played some that season and did play in that Michigan game, but he was only getting a few series a game.   Then was the starter again the following year, when Hobert was suspended and was the starter in a Rose Bowl rematch with Michigan, but it wasn't for the NC, and Michigan won.   Hobert was the offensive MVP of the Rose Bowl that led to them being named National Champs against Michigan.   

Weird trip down memory lane.  I remember those years happening, but was too young to actually know any detail.  Early 90's Washington with the Brunnell and Hobert qb controversy would have been an interesting storyline.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Read a little about it afterward.  Brunnell went down in the spring game, and Hobert took over for the season.  Brunnell did come back and played some that season and did play in that Michigan game, but he was only getting a few series a game.   Then was the starter again the following year, when Hobert was suspended and was the starter in a Rose Bowl rematch with Michigan, but it wasn't for the NC, and Michigan won.   Hobert was the offensive MVP of the Rose Bowl that led to them being named National Champs against Michigan.   

Weird trip down memory lane.  I remember those years happening, but was too young to actually know any detail.  Early 90's Washington with the Brunnell and Hobert qb controversy would have been an interesting storyline.  

If you think you were too young, I was born in 90 lol. 

I literally only have stories from my dad who went to UW in the early 80s. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 9:00 AM, RuskieTitan said:

With both contenders coming from North of the Mason Dixon line, does this mean Southern football is dead? Will the SEC ever recover? Do either team get extra points before the game, or is this considered fair and balanced?

I hear the SEC is trying to join the Pac 12

On 1/4/2024 at 4:16 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I hate that Michigan is likely winning this and likely by two scores. Don't know why I have this feeling.

yea I kind of have that feeling too. Michigan should be able to run all over them but man oh man I want Washington to win

23 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Have a hard time seeing Washington stopping Michigans run game. They’re gonna bully them. Penix needs another game like the Texas game for them to win. 

I’m trying not to be overconfident and deep down I’m really not.  This Washington team is very good and the offense can be close to unstoppable when they are firing on all cylinders.  We’ve seen time and time again some of these playoff matches that feature ultra talented defense vs elite offense and the offense almost always seems to manage to put up a ton of points. Those Bama/Clemson games come to mind. The Bama/Georgia games over the years and even OSU/ Georgia last year.  Loaded defenses that still can’t really stop elite passing game.  The time off, fresh legs, fresh game plans, indoors/ no elements, fast tracks.  The offense usually still does it’s thing 

That said this game feels like Michigan can win a dozen different ways.  They can make some mistakes, a unit or two can under perform and they could still manage to pull this one out.  They could win on a 200 yard game from Blake they could win because JJ goes off with his arm and legs they could win because the pass rush dominates they could win because the secondary plays lights out.  Washington feels like that absolutely have to win on not only on the back of Penix but there wr’s also need to make plays on balls in the air, the oline needs to hold up and the defense needs to create some turnovers. In short they need a perfect game or for Michigan to commit a comedy or errors.  Everyone has doubted this Washington team every step of the way all season though. They were 10.5 point dogs going into the P12 champ game against a team they’d already beaten.  This should be a great game to cap off a great playoff.  I think Minter will have semi solved Washington by the 4th qter and Michigan bullies them for the win 

Michigan 41 Washington 27

32 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think Penix is going to absolutely expose Michigan's defense tonight. They've played 0 good QB's all year.

In a vacuum but this group and system by and large has played Stroud twice with just as good if not better weapons and this is the best version of the Baltimore Wolverine Defense to date.  Will Johnson arguably the best corner in the country and a likely top 10 pick next year ( fact espn left him off there top 100 players list is a joke). Should be really fun watching him battle Romeo.  We shall see, same could be said Washington hasn’t seen a defense close to Michigan all season.  

Different style of qb obviously but Milroe is pretty damn good fyi.  McCord and is underrated and Tualia would probably put up monster numbers in the Pac12 

Edited by BigC421/

18 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

In a vacuum but this group and system by and large has played Stroud twice with just as good if not better weapons and this is the best version of the Baltimore Wolverine Defense to date.  Will Johnson arguably the best corner in the country and a likely top 10 pick next year ( fact espn left him off there top 100 players list is a joke). Should be really fun watching him battle Romeo.  We shall see, same could be said Washington hasn’t seen a defense close to Michigan all season.  

Different style of qb obviously but Milroe is pretty damn good fyi.  McCord and is underrated and Tualia would probably put up monster numbers in the Pac12 

Milroe is a RB, McCord sucks, and Tualia is headed to Costco next season bud. Penix is him. Duggan lit these boys up lastyear.