Playoffs! Rd. 1 -Green Bay at Dallas- House Money Game

Refugee

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

According to PFF, Musgrave played a better game than Love FFS

Incorrect. According to PFF, Musgrave had a more efficient game (per snap) than Love. Which, as we've highlighted, is a fair assessment.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

When the NFL is putting player PFF rankings on their broadcasts, it should probably represent what people assume it represents.  People assume these scores are an evaluation of player performance, but that isn't what they are at all.  It's an algorithm, and as often as not, it spits out a number that doesn't represent anything useful.

I've never noticed but I tune out the chatter and graphics because it's always been garbage.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Elite production is not the same thing as elite performance.  If I want to see who had elite production I can check the box scores. He had the nice sideline catch, but it was hardly a jaw dropper.  There wasn't anything special about the rest.  I would bet my house that his score would be under 70 without the gimme TD, and that is stupid.

This is a very silly nitpick. 

I haven't gone back read any of the offending posts and I probably won't. But I apologize for NoFlyZone. 

A few weeks ago he and I had a few cordial posts back and forth about his views and opinions. The best way to put it is he was/is very passionate in what he believes. How that translates via a forum and written text is not always very graceful.

At the end of the day GB throttled our @$$ and one can't really defend what happened. 

Good luck moving forward.

• Like 15

34 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

When the NFL is putting player PFF rankings on their broadcasts, it should probably represent what people assume it represents.  People assume these scores are an evaluation of player performance, but that isn't what they are at all.  It's an algorithm, and as often as not, it spits out a number that doesn't represent anything useful.

This is disingenuous. The rankings that the broadcasts show are from much larger sample sizes than this one Musgrave game. Over a larger sample size they are generally not a bad indicator of player performance *compared to other publicly available metrics*. & I’m sure they weight the grades appropriately by snap number when combining them into a season grade. Combining a 50-snap 60-grade with a 15-snap 90-grade will result in a grade much closer to 60 than 90. Obviously nothing is perfect. 

You do not know what goes into their grading process. My yardage statement was just an example of a concept. Obviously, there is more to it than yardage. All grading systems of any sort are an “algorithm” on some level.

& as for comparing it to other high-grading star players, it’s not like all of their plays are 1-handed grabs or other highlight-reel things. Plenty of their numbers are composed of unspectacular-looking catches made after sitting down in an open pocket of a zone, or similar occasion. 

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Elite production is not the same thing as elite performance.  If I want to see who had elite production I can check the box scores. He had the nice sideline catch, but it was hardly a jaw dropper.  There wasn't anything special about the rest.  I would bet my house that his score would be under 70 without the gimme TD, and that is stupid.

Musgrave deserved his score, incredible efficiency for small sample size.

What's baffling is the low grades for the OL. Great protection and RB with over 100 yards and three rushing TDs. 

PFF isn't perfect, but it isn't 'stupid either. Nothing to be upset about.

Edited by Dubz41

1 minute ago, Dubz41 said:

What's baffling is the low grades for the OL. Great protection and RB with over 100 yards and three rushing TDs. 

Not arguing with you Dubz. Just dropping in my two cents that PFF is entertainment.

A human assigning meaning to actions he wasn’t involved in designing is going to be rife with error while still carrying the cachet and credibility of mathematics.

Math is awesome. People are unreliable. 

• Like 1

Man, what a great year.  We came into this season needing answers to two questions.  Can Jordan Love be the guy, and can Matt LaFleur coach without Aaron Rodgers?  A resounding yes, is the answer to both questions.  Love is playing out of this world .. All Pro Level stuff.  He's the franchise QB for years to come.  LaFleur has been scheming like a demon since basically game one.  There were some bumps in the road on offense, but clearly it was due mostly to having a young cast that took half a season to hit their stride.  8-3 in their last 11 games.  LaFleur has also seemingly put his fingerprints on the defense as well this past month, to strong results.  We've got our franchise QB, and we've got a high level head coach moving forward.  Things are good.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HDsportsfan said:

I haven't gone back read any of the offending posts and I probably won't. But I apologize for NoFlyZone. 

A few weeks ago he and I had a few cordial posts back and forth about his views and opinions. The best way to put it is he was/is very passionate in what he believes. How that translates via a forum and written text is not always very graceful.

At the end of the day GB throttled our @$$ and one can't really defend what happened. 

And that is how you do it folks.

Great post and thank you.  

1 hour ago, HDsportsfan said:

Great post and it's greatly appreciated but I'd like to point out that you don't need to apologize on behalf of anyone. We tend to generalize about "fanbases" a lot on these forums, especially when someone goes a little too far, but each person is responsible for their own actions and we shouldn't think less of your fanbase because of this episode.

Best of luck to your team moving forward, except when your interests collide with ours of course ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Forgot watching this when Dak made this comment. Poor bastards, they are such easy targets for countless memes and gifs every January. 

Yeah, it’s easy to make fun of now, but that is the attitude I would want my QB to have. 

3 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

His incredibly small sample size due to medical limitations on availability should be a score penalty in and of itself.

3 hours ago, HDsportsfan said:

It is all good, man.  You didn't do anything, so no need to apologize.  We have a pretty hostile group here, from years of internal fights.  A lot of people will fight at the drop of a hat, and won't hesitate to keep receipts.  But I think we are also pretty good at keeping things tied to an individual, and even more on one topic.  

• Like 2