The Patriots have hired Jerod Mayo as their next head coach

Steelersfan43

This is really bad. There is no patriots way or system. It’s been proven 75 times

to not work without freaking Brady. I would have kept Bill if I was making this move. Legit makes no sense. Report all pat fans that support this. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

And said promise was made because culture and continuity prevails over new blood in the eyes of Robert Kraft.

I'm not knocking it, it's how successful businesses are ran - everyone retires or dies, you have to have a succession plan. From Bill Belicheck to Logan Roy, nobody is immune and not having a defined one leads to chaos.

boar-succession.gif

Let's be real.  Kraft just wants the draft picks.  And he's gambling on the notion that "If I get a draft pick for hiring a POC head coach and I get a draft pick for having a POC coach hired off my staff to be a HC, then naturally if I promote a POC coach from my staff to HC I should get both... if not more... if not another 1st round pick... if not the 1st pick in the draft... shut up Chicago, I'm Robert Kraft, you'll bend over and take it."

• Like 2

Who knows how this will turn out, but I don't think you can compare him to other Belichick assistants.  I mean, you can, but Mayo being a former player should be taken into account. 

Coaches like McDaniels, Patricia, and Mangini struggled to connect with players, and that had as much to do with their failure as anything else.  Mayo, ideally, shouldn't have that problem. 

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I mean, there is something to be said about continuity. Especially when factoring in culture (which is the golden rule in NE - The Patriot Way has a cult-like following, right or wrong).

If your intention is to keep that, you're doing yourself a favor by picking fruit from that tree.

I just tend to prefer the idea that you explore all options rather than rushing to this decision. You can talk to other people and then get here if this is what you really wanted after all. 

I honestly don't know nearly enough about Mayo to make an informed opinion on this hire itself. Just not a fan of the process involved in decisions like this. I get the culture thing for sure, but culture can only carry you so far as a program.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lancerman said:

Vrabel is not much better. People are ignoring that Vrabel had a whopping 2 more wins than the Patriots in a worse division. He's has as many playoff wins since Brady left as Bill did. Likewise, you are hiring a defensively minded HC who oversaw a worse defense than Mayo did. 

I put the Titans season on the GM and the scouting staff. They kept an aging Tannehill in place and Willis and Levis havent been great QBs by anymeas.  The talent is lacking and their star players are all getting older. Trading AJ Brown was just dumb. Vrabel has proved time and time again that his teams exceed expectations.

2 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I put the Titans season on the GM and the scouting staff. They kept an aging Tannehill in place and Willis and Levis havent been great QBs by anymeas.  The talent is lacking and their star players are all getting older. Trading AJ Brown was just dumb. Vrabel has proved time and time again that his teams exceed expectations.

Except for the last 2 seasons.

7 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Not speaking specifically about you but it annoys me how many think Vrabel is completely blameless in the roster makeup of the team. Yes, Jon Robinson put the team in an awful spot roster wise. But Vrabel isn’t without fault either. I’m pretty certain Vrabel was the one that wanted to keep Tannehill and our aging players in the first place. And just one small example of him making questionable personnel decisions the past few years was not being able to find PT for Josh Reynolds and playing guys like Chester Rogers(who?) and Marcus Johnson(who?) over him. He gets released midseason and immediately has an impact for Detroit that season and to this day.

Wherever his next stop is, I’d advise against giving him full roster control, like he was reportedly seeking with us. It’d be Belichick/BOB all over again imo.

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I just tend to prefer the idea that you explore all options rather than rushing to this decision. You can talk to other people and then get here if this is what you really wanted after all. 

I honestly don't know nearly enough about Mayo to make an informed opinion on this hire itself. Just not a fan of the process involved in decisions like this. I get the culture thing for sure, but culture can only carry you so far as a program.

It sounds like Kraft thought very highly of Mayo for years and that he wanted this to happen no matter what. Reports were that Mayo had a contract that mentioned a succession and Bill's contract was designed to end in 2024. It sounds like this WAS the plan and they just moved it a year up because of the result. 

So I get the whole "let's leave no stone unturned", but I think if you have a gut feeling and a plan, you don't let the flavors of the yearly coaching cycle disrupt it. There's nothing a handful of interviews should do that should overwrite several years of day to day evaluation and feeling confidant.