Around The League

Jerry

8 hours ago, Geezy said:

Man, I’m from LA and can’t stand the 9ers. It’s 9ers, Cowboys then Chiefs for me. 

Bruh my homies called me on Saturday tryna get me to cheer for them. My homie was at the det game. After we got jimmy it’s so brutal too. I can’t say shi. Basically in the bay 98% you either niner or raider with 2% cowboy. I’m the only raider all my homies were/are niners growing up. It’s a deep hatred. First game I went to at candlestick I caught pneumonia. Yea f them. I literally only know 1 kc fan. Even the faizon lookin security guard jerry curl/ shag guy with the wave brush at my job is a niner. 

Just wondering now gentlemen what the narrative is from the Chiefs game.

At the time, some were downplaying it as, after all, KC were a busted flush and were on the downward slope. I guess now it could be that they weren't even trying, had their eyes on a bigger prize, they let us win etc. etc.?

Seems to me like that win was a legitimately great win.

11 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

At the time, some were downplaying it as, after all, KC were a busted flush and were on the downward slope. I guess now it could be that they weren't even trying, had their eyes on a bigger prize, they let us win etc. etc.?

Even heard something similar like that already.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I don’t think they weren’t trying, necessarily. Guys like Reid and Mahomes want to win every week, and especially against their biggest rival. And even if we’ve sucked forever, we still are the team they want beat the most.

That said, I don’t think it’s strictly untrue that some teams raise their game even further in the biggest moments (eg. AFC Championship game). Mahomes unfortunately is the epitome of this type of player.

There’s a reason why teams like the Ravens this year, Titans in previous years finish as the #1 seed but then lose meekly in the playoffs; because they’ve gone full tilt throughout the regular season and don’t have an extra level to reach. Whereas there’s definitely an element of teams like the Chiefs “holding back”, so to speak, so that they can peak at the exact right time.

Us beating the Chiefs in Arrowhead was a great win. A dominant performance, and they hated losing to us. But in January they’re a different team altogether and I don’t think that’s really disputable at this point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I think two things can be true at the same time. Our win vs them was a good and legit win, and that they’ve raised their level of play when it matters most in January. 

I also think division games are tough for even the best teams. We’re obviously pretty familiar with what they do, and that was like our second time playing them within a month. Styles make fights, too.  We have two edge guys that got after and harassed Mahomes. Ive yet to see him under duress in these playoffs like he was when he played us. 

These aren’t the same high flying Chiefs of the past but they are just as dangerous. They are a top defensive team with the best QB in the league making timely backbreaking plays. They remind me of some of those Patriot teams that won championships with questionable weapons, but they had the best QB, HC and great defense.

• Like 2

Building the 2024 team, AP and Telesco/Kelly need to focus on beating our division rivals. Win those 6 games period! If a pass rusher is BPA at our pick and the QB's look like reaches then I'm good with putting their QB's on their rears. Giant's style as even Brady loses under pass rush pressure. THAT is building a bully and that is AP's style. Beat up their QB and run the rock down their throats. Draft another RB in the 3rd and do that every other year in 3rd-5th....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Naw spags deserves his props that kc defense has been bailing them out all year. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Bruh my homies called me on Saturday tryna get me to cheer for them. My homie was at the det game. After we got jimmy it’s so brutal too. I can’t say shi. Basically in the bay 98% you either niner or raider with 2% cowboy. I’m the only raider all my homies were/are niners growing up. It’s a deep hatred. First game I went to at candlestick I caught pneumonia. Yea f them. I literally only know 1 kc fan. Even the faizon lookin security guard jerry curl/ shag guy with the wave brush at my job is a niner. 

Even their slogan is a diss to the Raiders, “Faithful to the Bay” . That snug think we are better than you attitude 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Even their slogan is a diss to the Raiders, “Faithful to the Bay” . That snug think we are better than you attitude 

I can get the 9er hatred over the Chiefs. My best friends are 9er fans and I was rooting for Detroit. But at the end of the day, the rivalry just isn’t there anymore. With the Raiders leaving, and being a clown show for so long, there isn’t any hatred for the Raiders. They actually pity root for them.

We all have our bubbles though and I live in Sac so maybe it’s less out here. Only against KC and Denver would I pick the 9ers. LA is a close one but the Chargers have been so irrelevant it’s just hard to imagine. Similar to how the 9ers look at the Raiders in some circles.

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

They remained a good team with a great coach and a couple of key players. They also drew a relatively easy playoff slate. Maybe "easy" is too harsh, but it was favorable- Miami in awful conditions, a Buffalo team that overachieved and suffered horrid coaching much of the year, and Lamar Jackson in the playoffs. But, hey, they did it when it counted. 

Winning or not, they have their warts thought. They're beatable. They're getting older and less overall talented. They didn't dominate offensively like we're used to. They're human and can get flustered and knocked off their game. 

The wins have definitely been good ones and well-earned. But for the opposite reasons I think many have come to expect. That Baltimore game was a win for the defense, who bailed out an offense that has had massive mood swings all year long. I honestly felt the same to a lesser degree against Buffalo, but to an even greater degree against Miami. This post season has been the Chiefs D's time to shine. 

Going forward, they have so much money tied up on offense and so many glaring needs there, I don't expect them to keep their defense together very long. The offense is, honestly, sort of a mess outside of Mahomes and Kelce. I don't think they'll be the same dominant team much longer, but I also don't see them totally falling. At worst, they'll be in that Roethlisberger/Tomlin 2010's situation where they're not as sexy but are always still contenders- just not the biggest dog in the park anymore. 

All in all, I would hesitate to say our win against them is in any way diminished, though I don't think them making the Superbowl makes it any bigger of a deal either. The Chiefs were in a fight for survival much of the year- but a lot of teams were. At worst, it was a glimpse into the future where Kansas City doesn't seem utterly unbeatable. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I don’t think they weren’t trying, necessarily. Guys like Reid and Mahomes want to win every week, and especially against their biggest rival. And even if we’ve sucked forever, we still are the team they want beat the most.

That said, I don’t think it’s strictly untrue that some teams raise their game even further in the biggest moments (eg. AFC Championship game). Mahomes unfortunately is the epitome of this type of player.

There’s a reason why teams like the Ravens this year, Titans in previous years finish as the #1 seed but then lose meekly in the playoffs; because they’ve gone full tilt throughout the regular season and don’t have an extra level to reach. Whereas there’s definitely an element of teams like the Chiefs “holding back”, so to speak, so that they can peak at the exact right time.

Us beating the Chiefs in Arrowhead was a great win. A dominant performance, and they hated losing to us. But in January they’re a different team altogether and I don’t think that’s really disputable at this point.

The Chiefs are the Goku of the NFL. Great. 

I think the niner/KC as far as who is hated more is irrelevant to this Super Bowl, I think we would all agree under no circumstance should Taylor Swift get to hold the Lombardi. Which if KC wins she certainly would. 

• Like 1

The Chiefs didn't score at all in the 2nd half against Baltimore. That doesn't bode well for them against SF. Plus, IDK what the Ravens were trying to do on defense, but they definitely had the wrong gameplan. Double-team Kelce every time he's on the field (which the Ravens didn't do) and defend the run. Force Mahomes to beat you with Kadarius Toney and MVS. Force the Chiefs defense to decide if they're going to defend against CMC or try to contain Samuel and Aiyuk, good luck trying to contain all three.

I actually think the 49ers win this one, and I won't be surprised if it's not that close.

• Like 1

Dan Campbell effect. Also could be looking ahead at some possible openings next year with way better teams who will have coaches on the hot seat.

What an unexpected turn of events. Washington fans gotta be sick lol. 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 1