Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

Just now, Old Guy said:

Might be a smart move on his part. Washington is a ****ty franchise until they prove they are not. The roster is pretty void of talent too, so even if the new owner knows what he's doing, it could take more than a few years before they are on the right track. 

Watch Johnson go to CHI next year after Eberflus screws up the first year with Williams.

20 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Might be a smart move on his part. Washington is a ****ty franchise until they prove they are not. The roster is pretty void of talent too, so even if the new owner knows what he's doing, it could take more than a few years before they are on the right track. 

Agreed, but isn't DET too? Or one good year removes that? I can't decide.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

It really seems like that franchise has done a complete 180... Maybe they're so bought in they don't want to leave when they think they can accomplish something that has never been accomplished there. I have no way of knowing that is the reason, I'm just saying people prioritize things differently. He will be a HC one day.

3 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

It really seems like that franchise has done a complete 180... Maybe they're so bought in they don't want to leave when they think they can accomplish something that has never been accomplished there. I have no way of knowing that is the reason, I'm just saying people prioritize things differently. He will be a HC one day.

Who knows?  Maybe Goff and/or an offensive stud(s) gets hurt or declines.  Lions will not have top 5 draft positions each round to replenish their team as they've had for years.  Their head coach has brought this team back to being relevant this year but he's had some bone headed decisions that have hurt them including their last loss.  Nothing is ever written in stone .. strike while the iron is hot.  Johnson turning down a couple of HC jobs may or may not be his last opportunity ... we'll see next year.    

56 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Great question, but it is one more than Washington has had in 20+ years. 

It's also the Devil you know! 

53 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Hot today, yesterday's news tomorrow. He will be a head coach if the Lions are a formidable team next year, especially on offense. They stumble, he might be unemployed looking for work

It's a gamble either way, but getting HCing money for 4–5-year deal can set a guy up for life. 

30 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Hot today, yesterday's news tomorrow. He will be a head coach if the Lions are a formidable team next year, especially on offense. They stumble, he might be unemployed looking for work

It's a gamble either way, but getting HCing money for 4–5-year deal can set a guy up for life. 

LOL!

Johnson is hot now, as he was last year and how he'll be next year.

This is the league that hired McDaniels as a HC how many times?  3?

And this is a coordinator that is getting the most out of Jared Goff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

LOL!

Johnson is hot now, as he was last year and how he'll be next year.

This is the league that hired McDaniels as a HC how many times?  3?

And this is a coordinator that is getting the most out of Jared Goff.

McDaniels was with a dynasty. Johnson has to HOPE he can get Jared Goff to keep performing at the same level. 

Let's see Jared Goff or Tom Brady, who should I choose. 

Speaking of LOL! 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

This is my ranking of the remaining coaches.

Main Targets:

Anthony Weaver, Ejiro Evero - It's possible both are being blocked. However I would've thought, in Weaver's case, the Associate Head Coach could not be blocked from interviewing for a playcalling coordinator position. I could be wrong.

If they are not available:

Jeff Hafley - Boston College Head Coach. Knows everybody in LaFleur's circle. His brother, Shanahan, McDaniel, Saleh, Pettine, Stenavich. Familiar with Pettine 3-4 and Saleh 4-3 defences. Watching videos shows a very switched on person who is knowledgeable and comfortable with speaking. All business, acts like he's in charge. Those traits may make him a good option to lead our defence whilst LaFleur can just fully focus on the offence.

Christian Parker - His inexperience only get a pass because he can come in and hit the ground running with our existing coaches and system otherwise I don't see much difference between him and the fall back options. I get the sense he has an even keeled personality, I can see LaFleur jiving with that. Everytime no matter what angle I look at it I just keep coming back to Christian Parker. Hiring him does make alot of sense on paper.

Fall back plan:

Dennard Wilson, Chris Harris - hiring one of them practically guarantees a significant change to our defensive system. This will usually mean hiring new position coaches to help them implement it. I think they have enough connections to build a decent staff if needed. I don't see anything wrong with taking this route, especially where the Packers are currently at this stage of their roster building and the overall age of the team. Just hire the best possible guy on the list.

Crack glass in case of emergency:

Jim Leonhard - I know we've gone off Leonard but the fact remains he was a good coordinator in college and we liked him enough to offer the job previously. I wouldn't be so picky if I were the Packers. There are times in life where swallowing your pride/ego is the right move, forgive and forget, just wipe the slate clean and start over.

Aden Durde - Interesting candidate. I like his vibe but it's probably my British bias showing. I think he has been around the NFL long enough to possibly put together a decent staff. Main downside is the Dan Quinn system, it sucks against Shanahan type offences. To win a superbowl we need to beat the 49ers and the Rams.

Zach Orr  - Hiring a Ravens coach is tempting. He would know much more about Mike Macdonald's system than Dennard Wilson does. Like Christian Parker he's too very inexperienced but the difference between him and Parker is that he would have to teach our existing coaches and the players exactly how he want his defence to be played from scratch. That is a massive undertaking for someone so inexperienced. On top of that he's not going to be able to build a meaningful staff especially if McDonald and Weaver get hired elsewhere, they will be hoovering up all the talent at Baltimore.

Shane Bowen - He's someone who LaFleur knows and has NFL coordinating experience. I can't explain it but he reeks of Barry vibes but with depression sprinkled on top.

Brandon Staley - I'm not going to turn my nose up on Staley and reject him outright. He's a proven DC in this league BUT.....I hate his body language and personality. He's a clapper and not very inspiring. Meh. I'm in the camp that he's a mediocre coach who was propped up for one season by Donald and Ramsey.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

McDaniels was with a dynasty. Johnson has to HOPE he can Jared Goff to keep performing at the same level. 

Let's see Jared Goff or Tom Brady, who should I choose. 

Speaking of LOL! 

McDaniels has proved to be terrible without Brady as his QB.  You think we'll be saying the same thing about Johnson without Goff?  Or that suddenly a pretty stacked DET offense is going to fall flat?  If you do, then I guess I understand your point.  Otherwise, I don't get it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chili said:

This is my ranking of the remaining coaches.

Can a Mod delete the current poll (sorry, Jim Leonhard stans!) and add a new one with an updated, more concise pool of candidates that are left?

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

With the conflicting reports about how available Evero is, I think his status is another variable that may need to be clarified before GB makes a final decision.

Until Carolina actually lets him interview for another DC position, I think we have to assume he's staying in Carolina.