Which notable vets could get cut?

RaidersAreOne

40 minutes ago, MagicMT said:

Wouldn't be surprised if that's the end for him in the league. 
What an absolute waste of talent.

I hope it is. Throw me right in with the Giants fans, now. Dude doesn't deserve another shot.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2024 at 8:01 PM, MagicMT said:

Seahawks have quite a few, as they really bungled the caps the last few years. 
-Jamal Adams is set to count for 26M on next year's cap, is not really good anymore (0 INT/FF last 2 years, 0 sacks last 3 years...) and played only 10 games combined in 22' and 23'. Easy cut IMO
-Quandre Diggs, another middling safety, is a 21M cap hit for 2024. Another easy cut candidate. 
(just imagine having a team spending 47M on 2 safeties, and they're not even good ones at that. Plus S Julian Love - who is actually good - is making 8M... madness!!) 
-Lockett might not be as good as he was, but he's still a pretty serviceable WR, however he's projected for 27M on the cap, which is definitely way more than what he is worth, especially with Metcalf and JSN also on the roster. 
-Then I know he's not in any way "notable" but another cap blunder on the Seahawks part was to give a sizeable contract to Will Dissly, who was TE3 in receiving (17 catches last year) and is not even that good of a blocker. He's due for an absurd 10M. I have to believe he will be gone too. 
Man that's a lot of bad contracts for safeties and te, positions that are definitely not correlated to winning in any way (lol Pete Carroll). 

How many of these actually free up significant cap?  Vs having significant dead money cap penalties?

Specifically Lockett...seems like he'd be extremely interesting to anyone who feels like rolling the dice on Russ for next year.

Edited by Tugboat

I think Larry Ogunjobi could be a cut for the Steelers as a surprise.

I think or obvious one happened in Chukuwuma Okorafor as he had some issues inside the locker room and it spilled onto the sideline and they let him go already.  Trubisky was the other obvious one as his contract extension was more about getting rid of the big 2023 cap hit in exchange for not needing to find another backup QB (dead money is about the same but there was so much to do last year). 

I think Mason Cole could be cut, as there's a rumor that the Steelers like him more as a backup and would want to do a small extension with little new money to pay him more in line as a backup, but he's likely unwilling to accept that change.

Peterson was brought up.  

Personally I think both Keenu Neal and Damonte Kazee could be cut.  Neal got injured again and Kazee was terrible.  The thought was a 3 safety rotation but they were so bad at what they needed to do that Minkah had to be used to make up for their shortcomings which made him have another down year.  We seem to have this issue where Austin really wants to make Minkah do some things, but then the next year we "simplify" things back there because of how bad it was and suddenly the secondary is good again with Minkah in single high role.  

10 hours ago, Tugboat said:

How many of these actually free up significant cap?  Vs having significant dead money cap penalties?

Specifically Lockett...seems like he'd be extremely interesting to anyone who feels like rolling the dice on Russ for next year.

Adams saves $6M

Lockett saves $7M

Diggs saves $11M

Dissly saves $6.9M

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danger said:

1. Kevin Byard seems like a certainty, no penalty and saves us $13M

2. CB Avonte Maddox could also be cut. Oft injured, June 1sting him saves us $7M

I think they'll restructure/force Maddox to take a paycut. I think he's on the team next season. Byard I think is gone. Although I hope we're not overreacting to one season where Byard was acquired mid season and thrown in and out of 3 different defenses. Regardless I think I'm done with the archaic secondary players. Slay is the only old one I'm cool with.

54 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Adams saves $6M

Lockett saves $7M

Diggs saves $11M

Dissly saves $6.9M

Adams saves 16M as post-june 1 cut but the other numbers are correct. 
Lockett is the only one I see with any chance to be brought back, and he would definitely be the most (only?!) sought-after player in this list

• Like 1

Bengals might cut Joe Mixon to save 5.8 mil. But the management seems to like him more than the fans so he could play out the last year on his contract.

The team is likely to tag Tee Higgins and let Chido Awuzie, DJ Reader, Tyler Boyd, and Jonah Williams go to free agency without re-signing them. 

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Harrison Smith might get cut but I think he'll just retire instead.

Retire this year? He can probably still play at an average level for a couple of years and hasn’t really dealt with injuries. Could see him following Zimmer but not sure what Dallas has at safety.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I think they'll restructure/force Maddox to take a paycut. I think he's on the team next season. Byard I think is gone. Although I hope we're not overreacting to one season where Byard was acquired mid season and thrown in and out of 3 different defenses. Regardless I think I'm done with the archaic secondary players. Slay is the only old one I'm cool with.

Byard might come back but they aren’t paying him his current deal.