Who is the best GM in the NFL?

8 hours ago, Soko said:

You’re comparing him to GMs that have won and been to multiple super bowls.

At the same time, the Browns iteration since 1999 has been the laughingstock of the league and even just getting them to the playoffs is an accomplishment.

• Like 1

If we’re talking recently, Brad Holmes.

im struggling to come up with another dude who’s totally transformed an entire organization as quickly as he has.

Edited by Miblue
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Rams were awful until McVay got there. I credit their success more with him than Les Snead. But admittedly I did forget about him and would put him in the top 5 undoubtedly, along with John Lynch who I also forgot.

Hard to put the Fisher years on Snead because old Jeff had full control. Yes it has to be a mark against him but with how the roster has turned around post Fisher is a huge plus for Les. 

Without thinking too hard or explaining myself, here are some of my favorites:

Brett Veach

Howie Roseman

Brandon Beane

Eric DeCosta

John Lynch

Andrew Berry

Nick Caserio

Brad Holmes

22 hours ago, adamq said:

Les snead is way up there for me. They should have been hot garbage last season but he filled the gaps very well around their 3 stars

Hurts my brain how many people are leaving him out of this discussion

• Like 2

I have no skin in the game as the Steeler GM is in his 2nd year.

IMHO, you have to balance drafting/Trades with salary cap management for your GM.  Once you have your franchise QB and are paying him, the cap becomes harder.  Before paying your franchise QB, FA is used to cover up for poor draft picks.  After, you have much less cap to help with any poor decisions in the draft.  Even great GMs can have a bad draft.  Two in a row should get you fired if you are tight on the cap.

With the above, I think the Packers and KC  are doing a great job.  The Colts continue to have good drafts as they hope they have a franchise QB.  The Rams have done much better than I thought they would.

22 hours ago, Miblue said:

If we’re talking recently, Brad Holmes.

im struggling to come up with another dude who’s totally transformed an entire organization as quickly as he has.

Howie Roseman's done it twice lol

On 3/13/2024 at 4:23 PM, Danger said:

John Lynch has a case too.

Careful about praising John Lynch around some of these 49er fans. They only credit him for things like the Trey Lance pick and half the roster getting injured and credit Shanny for coach things like drafting Deebo, drafting Fred Warner, drafting Kittle, signing Ward, drafting Hufanga, drafting Aiyuk, trading for Garroppolo, trading for CMC, signing Trent Williams. Lynch is continuously restocking the roster with great and underrated tier 3 talent that will fit perfectly in the system and play at a tier 2 level to give their large group of blue chip players an amazing yet affordable supporting cast.

I will say I'm super pleased with how the succession from Ozzie Newsome to Eric DeCosta has gone. It feels like the Ravens haven't lost any identity and are still hitting on the majority of their picks and signings. Really nice continuity. 

35 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Careful about praising John Lynch around some of these 49er fans. They only credit him for things like the Trey Lance pick and half the roster getting injured and credit Shanny for coach things like drafting Deebo, drafting Fred Warner, drafting Kittle, signing Ward, drafting Hufanga, drafting Aiyuk, trading for Garroppolo, trading for CMC, signing Trent Williams. Lynch is continuously restocking the roster with great and underrated tier 3 talent that will fit perfectly in the system and play at a tier 2 level to give their large group of blue chip players an amazing yet affordable supporting cast.

It's not just Shanahan we love giving credit to, it's Adam Peters and the entire scouting dept/coaching staff. All of whom play a part in the draft process.

Lynch definitely doesn't get enough credit, but I think that stems from years of us expecting him to jump ship to the TV booth. Not fair to him, but now that Peters is gone maybe our tune will change

On 3/13/2024 at 2:26 PM, Danger said:

Yeah but the Rams sucked until McVay got there. 5 seasons straight.

Does he not get the credit for the hire lol?? 

It was he and McVay who had to form that synergy. It’s not like the eagles firing a coach every 3 years. #BangBangChokerGang