2024 Day 1 NFL Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

CWood21

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

If GB stays at 25, my draft day guess is that DeJean will be off the board along with Gute's preferred OL, and the pick will be Kool-Aid or Wiggins.

Wiggins is probably the only guy in this draft that i would be bummed out about if we take him

• Like 2

Just now, HokieHigh said:

Wiggins is probably the only guy in this draft that i would be bummed out about if we take him

I don't want him either, but I think Gute probably likes him more than I do.

Harbaugh blows up the draft by taking JJ McCarthy with the 5th overall pick and trades Herbert to the Vikings for their two 1sts and some future picks.

And the NFC North get ridiculously competitive. 

• Like 3

Summary of my reactions for tonight:

Thrilled we traded up to 16-20 and got: Fashanu, Murphy, Arnold or Verse.

Thrilled we traded up a few spots or stayed at 25 and got: DeJean, Barton or Fautanu.

Happy at 25 we got: Newton, McKinstry

Content at 25 we got: Mims, Suamataia, Darius Robinson

Surprised but actually content at 25 we got: Chop Robinson, Wiggins

Slightly disappointed at 25 we got: Guyton

Surprised and slightly disappointed at 25 we got: anyone else without some sort of trade back first. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, R T said:

Harbaugh blows up the draft by taking JJ McCarthy with the 5th overall pick and trades Herbert to the Vikings for their two 1sts and some future picks.

I've seen this general idea posted elsewhere, and to a degree I actually think it makes sense for both sides.  What would really be interesting would be for LAC to trade Hebert to MIN, trade #5 to the highest bidder for another pick haul, then target Penix with one of the picks they received.

19 minutes ago, R T said:

It would take a boat load of picks .. 3 - 1sts plus to get Herbert and the Vikings still have to absorb his 52 million dollar salary.  It would give them a qb but at a huge, very high cost.  Fine with me .. let them go down in salary cap flames without draft choices.

This^

The whole draft cottage industry starts with making a grocery list of a team's needs and then claiming they need to draft those positions. Well run teams trust their boards and draft the best player on their boards regardless of position. 

• Like 1

I am going to die of laughter if we pass on DeJean.

Im so tired of EVERY Packer personality clamoring for him ( and I don’t want him). 

This has been the best example of how draft coverage is group think 

3 minutes ago, R T said:

The whole draft cottage industry starts with making a grocery list of a team's needs and then claiming they need to draft those positions. Well run teams trust their boards and draft the best player on their boards regardless of position. 

Yeah, I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to focusing on current team needs when looking at the draft.  That being said, I think need is a factor when Gute builds his board, and need intersects with availability as often as not when GB is on the clock.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yeah, I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to focusing on current team needs when looking at the draft.  That being said, I think need is a factor when Gute builds his board, and need intersects with availability as often as not when GB is on the clock.

Not only "need" but positional rank as well. "BPA" shouldn't be viewed in a true literal sense of "this guy is the best player regardless of position." BPA, for purposes of the draft, is better described as "BVA" where best player takes into account positional value (i.e. an OT over an OC or CB over WR), and to a lesser degree, need. 

• Like 2