2024 Day 1 NFL Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

CWood21

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Not only "need" but positional rank as well. "BPA" shouldn't be viewed in a true literal sense of "this guy is the best player regardless of position." BPA, for purposes of the draft, is better described as "BVA" where best player takes into account positional value (i.e. an OT over an OC or CB over WR), and to a lesser degree, need. 

Yes, I'd agree that best value available is a better way to express the general concept of BPA.

9 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yeah, I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to focusing on current team needs when looking at the draft.  That being said, I think need is a factor when Gute builds his board, and need intersects with availability as often as not when GB is on the clock.

The Packers seldom have a true need in the draft, needs are filled in free agency. But the whole draft frenzy works best for those selling it when the 'needs' narrative is sold hard.

4 minutes ago, spilltray said:

It's not a clear linear list. NFL teams generally don't do a "big board" like that. It's not always clear, at any pick, who the "best player available" is.

The Cowboys board looks pretty linear

jerry_medium.png

Edited by Mazrimiv

22 minutes ago, R T said:

The whole draft cottage industry starts with making a grocery list of a team's needs and then claiming they need to draft those positions. Well run teams trust their boards and draft the best player on their boards regardless of position. 

It's all about the jump. a big jump from the top guy to the next one - sure, take the top guy. A tiny jump from one to the other, other things come into play, like degree of need, personal favouritism, etc.

2 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

As with ALL picks, let it play out.  Don't tell me in April, show me in the fall.

Do you even Draft Day, bro?  We’re building this year’s SB roster and taking measurements for golden jackets starting tonight!

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

Gute tripled up on OL 3x, he tripled up on WR 2x, doubled up on TE last year. He clearly goes into the draft looking to build a room. Whether that constitutes a "need" to you is up to you, but he prioritizes adding to rooms that "need" it.

This year it will be DB/OL.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Gute tripled up on OL 3x, he tripled up on WR 2x, doubled up on TE last year. He clearly goes into the draft looking to build a room. Whether that constitutes a "need" to you is up to you, but he prioritizes adding to rooms that "need" it.

This year it will be DB/OL.

I expect 2 DB and 2 OL by the end of RD5.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I expect 2 DB and 2 OL by the end of RD5.

Don't know, don't disagree either. But they are two of the deeper positions in this year's draft so that shouldn't be surprising that would happen to be best players on their board. Similar to last season when the TE position was one of the best of all time and they drafted two. It has happened many times that multiple players from the same position are taken when that position is one of the strengths of the draft. They have to draft someone and often the best player on their board when they are up will be a player from a position of strength. 

6 minutes ago, R T said:

Don't know, don't disagree either. But they are two of the deeper positions in this year's draft so that shouldn't be surprising that would happen to be best players on their board. Similar to last season when the TE position was one of the best of all time and they drafted two. It has happened many times that multiple players from the same position are taken when that position is one of the strengths of the draft. They have to draft someone and often the best player on their board when they are up will be a player from a position of strength. 

Yeah, I think on the surface at least, this draft is a case of GB's team needs aligning with who could be available.

1 hour ago, R T said:

Harbaugh blows up the draft by taking JJ McCarthy with the 5th overall pick and trades Herbert to the Vikings for their two 1sts and some future picks.

And the NFC North get ridiculously competitive. 

Outpost approves this plan

1 hour ago, R T said:

The Packers seldom have a true need in the draft, needs are filled in free agency. But the whole draft frenzy works best for those selling it when the 'needs' narrative is sold hard.

I've said this before but I think Gutey's trend has been more of a true "BPA/BVA" pick in round 1. On Day 2, we typically see him marry "BPA" with "Need" a bit more.