2024 Day 1 NFL Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

CWood21

3 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Question to anybody: How does DeJean compare to Harrison Smith?

The tone of their skin is the same. 

17 minutes ago, MacReady said:

lol.

Woodson played 8 years in Oakland. He had 17 interceptions. Two defensive touchdowns.

Woodson played 7 seasons in Green Bay. He had 38 interceptions. 9 defensive touchdowns.

GTFOOH if you’re going to try to argue players don’t have completely different careers if they’re used incorrectly versus correctly.

Woodson doesn’t go to the Hall of Fame if he doesn’t go to Green Bay.

Use DeJean correctly and he’s having a good NFL career (not comparing the players).

Of course talent needs to meet opportunity and the system  impacts that, but I disagree that Woodson didn’t have multiple paths to the hall. 

DeJean definitely represents a guy that can add plenty in many areas of the game, just not as many as Wood but very few can reach that height. I’ll be very happy if he’s there at 25 and would understand if we moved up for him based on the things (mostly highlights) that I’ve seen. The question for whoever we draft on defense then becomes how do the coaches employ their skill sets. 

Edited by Refugee

59 minutes ago, R T said:

The tone of their skin is the same. 

So it is, but H. Smith has been a thorn in our side for what seems forever. Do you think DeJean can be the same sort of thorn for us agianst the Vikes? 

25 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

They're both white and play football! LOL

I'm not a big fan of drafting a player to play a position he didn't play in college. I believe DeJean was a CB in college, but there seems to be a genuine doubt that he could play CB in the NFL at a high level. Something about stiff hips? So he's going to have to move to S. I ask about Smith, not because they belong to similar gene pools, but because I consider Smith to be the top S in our NFCN. I would love to have a player like that, but can he make the transition? Knowing that would make drafting him easier for me to accept. 

Not knowing that, I would rather take someone who has proven his skill at the position we expect to play him at. It appears there will be some excellent OLinemen and WRs available. I would prefer OL, but I would take a WR over a guy who may or may not be able to be a Harrison Smith-level S.

15 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

I love living in the fog of obliviousness. Means very few potential picks at 25 will actually irk me. Worked wonders for me last year.

I definitely have favorites, but I try to look at it this way: assuming the Packers add a player tonight, they will be a better team by tomorrow morning than they are today. To what degree is debatable, but they will be better overall. 

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I definitely have favorites, but I try to look at it this way: assuming the Packers add a player tonight, they will be a better team by tomorrow morning than they are today. To what degree is debatable, but they will be better overall. 

Better compared to the absolute or better relative to the rest of the NFL?"

20 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I have my favorites, but try to look at the actual picks through the lens of Gute and GB's scouts having all the information they need to make an informed decision.  Once the pick is in, I just try to make sense of it.  Reed is a good example of someone who wasn't on my radar at all, but once the pick was made, I could see the logic behind it.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Who’s the most plausible pick that will surprise and/or irk the most fans? Suamataia? Kneeland? Darius Robinson?

I think it is Mimms or Guyton.  Got the too tall and heavy for the thresholds, probably won't start right away, not as pressing of a need as safety, and despite being super important, OL is always boring.