2024 Day 1 NFL Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

CWood21

Would this constitute a spoiler?  :)

Andy Herman -   Cooper DeJean's odds have moved to -144 that he's selected prior to pick 23.5. +108 that it's over pick 23.5.

Others of interest:

Graham Barton: -174 under 20.5
Kool-Aid McKinstry: -154 under 28.5
Amarius Mims: -162 under 21.5

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

both are white dbs.

But Smith is/was a deep space safety like a not quite earl thomas.  Think Dejean is more playmaker nearer to the ball.

Seems to me we just signed Xavier McKinney who can play deep. I also recall that Haf wants to be able to interchange his safeties. So how would DeJean be a good fit? Now I'm more convinced than ever that DeJean is a smoke screen and we're going OL at #25. We can pick up another deep S later in the draft.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -   Cooper DeJean's odds have moved to -144 that he's selected prior to pick 23.5. +108 that it's over pick 23.5.

Others of interest:

What does all this gobblie-**** mean?

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

It means betters don't think DeJean, Barton or Mims is making it to 25

Seems to me, if the draft is deep at WR and OL, some teams are going to pass on WR and OL early and grab top players at scarce positions. Chances are Barton or Mims or some other top OL guy will slide to 25.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

What does all this gobblie-**** mean?

Negative numbers mean you win less if you bet that and are correct. I.e. that it's determined to be "more likely".

The Packers have had negative money lines vs the Bears for the much of the past 30 years, for example.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Leader said:

Others of interest:

In the UK we have odds like 10/1 (you bet 1 and get 10 plus your stake of 1 back if you win). What does being  -174 under 20.5 actually mean ? I get the 'under 20.5', that's the odds of being taken before pick 21, but what does the -174 refer to ?

47 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Next year. I'd like to see Bob Harlan or Ron Wolf announce the 2nd round pick in Green Bay.

How about the 1sr round so we don't have to listen to that ******* Goddell. 

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Jennifer Kirton -  DeJean going at 25 in all the final mocks makes sense in light of Field Yates  comment last week that a lot of the league sees him as a safety. That said… if he’s there and Gute picks someone else there are going to be some TANTRUMS on here.

It wouldn’t surprise me if DeJean is there and Gute passes on him for Kool-Aid because Hafley prefers him 

3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

In the UK we have odds like 10/1 (you bet 1 and get 10 plus your stake of 1 back if you win). What does being  -174 under 20.5 actually mean ? I get the 'under 20.5', that's the odds of being taken before pick 21, but what does the -174 refer to ?

-174 means you bet $174 to win $100.  Unless I am on drugs again, and way off...

• Like 2

Would we be interested in Darius Robinson when we have Wooden for that inside/outside role? Probably not and essentially using a 1st round pick to be a backup.

Would we be interested in an EDGE when Gary is locked down and also having drafted LVN very high last year. Unlikely.

Would we be interested in Murphy or Newton when we have Brooks. Maybe.

Would we be interested in a WR when we have plenty of good WRs on the roster. Probably not. Too many mouths to feed and risk upsetting the locker room dynamic.

Would we be interested in Bowers having drafted two solid TEs last year. Nah and he's probably gone by then.

Would we risk sticking with our 7th rounders who are currently starters for us at LT (Walker) and CB (Valentine) when there's a real possibility they might take a step back. The run of good form from both of them was perhaps just a rare spark from JAG type players? We just lost Bakhtiari which is a big deal and Stokes still haven't made his position alongside Alexander his own. We also traded away Douglas. I honestly don't think Gute will risk settling for those players and will want to make sure he adds real quality at premium positions backed with high level of competition. It's going to be OT or CB for sure. I feel it in my bones.

While LB is a need I would actually be surprised if we drafted one again in the first. There's no-one with Quay level of profile.

Safety is definitely a need, other than DeJean not sure if there are any elite athletes in the Savage mold that Gute would go gaga over. Perhaps Javon Bullard?

For me on paper DeJean makes so much sense in terms of versatility and competition. He would compete with Stokes and Valentine for outside corner, he would compete with Nixon for slot/nickle, he would slide in alongside McKinney.  BUT he's clearly not twitchy enough especially if he standing 10 yards off Barry-style, he wouldn't have the suddenness to immediately close down on the receiver and force an incomplete pass or interception. The way he plays is weird, i'm not seeing excellent outside corner vibes. I think Gute will pass on him, just a gut feeling.

• Like 1

Who are you taking if Gute had actually held his ground and gotten the Jets #10 overall tonight? Are you targeting a particular player or position? Sort of a weird spot because it doesn't look like a big trade up spot for a QB. 

It would make tonight a whole lot more intriguing. 

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

If DeJean is the pick, I'd have to assume that Hafley has expressed a high level of interest in adding him. That's good enough for me.

I don't want the DC to pick players. I want the GM and scouts to pick the players after spending months even years studying these prospects.