Bears Draft Rome Odunze With 1.9

Sugashane

Kinda shocked to see ATL take Penix but it filled out the 4th QB taken in the top ten which assured that Odunze would be on the board.

I wondered with both Odunze and Turner there if there was any hesitation or debate at over which to take.  Not all that surprised the top defensive guys slid farther back.  There was just so much more offensive talent in this draft but some teams got great value when they drafted for defense.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

How amazing is it for a WR like Rome Odunze to have a year to watch/study/learn from a guy like Keenan Allen?? This is outstanding!

Yeah when his only major critique is that he's not great at creating seperation, letting him learn from a perennial stud in Allen who known specifically for his ability to get open is about as perfect a scenario as we both we and Odunze could hope for, with relation to him becoming a beast at the NFL level.

“He had to hold me back from trying to trade up to get him” -poles on getting Rome. Apparently he was their most desired realistic target and said in their draft simulations it was pretty 50:50 as to whether he’d be there at 9 to take. So they got exactly who they wanted 

• Like 2

Based on their NFL grades CW and Odunze both carried the same grade making them jointly the #3 ranked players with only MHJr and Nabers above them.  To have gotten two blue chip players like these two is IMHO exactly what this draft was all about.  By trading for Allen Poles created a hedge against Odunze not falling to us or being able to trade up for him but it sounds like he was their target all along.  From the standpoint of potential production and economics it could not have worked out any better than this for the Bears.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Apparently he was their most desired realistic target

I’m not saying he wasn’t their target or anything, and I’m sure they are ecstatic with the pick. But don’t GMs say some version of this with nearly every pick they make?

Never have I heard a GM say “Well this guy was really plan C or D, but I couldnt get a deal done to get up high enough for the guy who we really wanted, so we’ll just settle for this guy instead. Still a pretty solid player, but we’re kind of underwhelmed by our draft so far”

Edited by StLunatic88

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I’m not saying he wasn’t their target or anything, and I’m sure they are ecstatic with the pick. But don’t GMs say some version of this with nearly every pick they make?

Never have I heard a GM say “Well this guy was really plan C or D, but I couldnt get a deal done to get up high enough for the guy who we really wanted, so we’ll just settle for this guy instead. Still a pretty solid player, but we’re kind of underwhelmed by our draft so far”

True. 

But there were some leaks saying he was their guy.  And Caleb, Odunze , Moore and Allen working out together probably wasn’t an accident. 

• Like 1