First impressions: Best and worst picks thus far?

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

It looked like a bunch of late day 2 and early day 3 picks???

When you look at what they gave up, between the two trades to go up for Dallas(which includes the Texans trade), it came out to a mid-1st.

So they basically used two mid-1sts on him.

1 minute ago, Soko said:

Kinda similar to Love->Rodgers, yeah? Don’t fully remember what Rodgers’ contract situation was like at the time, though. A-Rod was also a little older (38) than Kirk is right now (36 Week 1), so there’s that. And tbf, the Packers were picking later in the draft, not the top 10. 

But the premise and reaction are similar. Yeah, you’ve got a guy that you see being your franchise QB for a few years, but now you’ve got a talented guy to groom. Everyone hates it at the time, but Packers fans are happy they have Love now. 

Penix is almost the same age as Jordan Love is now. I just don’t see the upside with him like other recent QBs who sat like Mahomes or Love. I’d understand it a bit more with McCarthy but not with 24 year old Penix.

The overall process between the Cousins signing and the Penix pick dumbfounds me.

8 hours ago, lancerman said:

Penix is the worst. It does nothing to help the Falcons in the immediate future and idk why you spend all that money on Kirk and not make it a priority to give that team more ammunition to try to make some sort of run. If this were a second round pick, sure whatever. But there was real talent they could get. If I'm Cousins, I'm seriously pissed off. 

Odunze is probably the best based on how everything just went right for the Bears to get their QB and a high end WR prospect. The other option is the Chargers grabbing Alt. Anything that can help Herbert stay upright and have time is a good thing

Devils advocate: They have a franchise QB to be Competitive.  They allow Penix time to develop and learn from a quality vet.

Rodgers sat for three years behind Favre and inherited an NFC Championship team.  Mahomes sat behind Smith and inherited an AFC Championship team.  Brady sat behind Bledsoe and inherited a quality team.

Edited by USADave

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

When you look at what they gave up, between the two trades to go up for Dallas(which includes the Texans trade), it came out to a mid-1st.

I figured the Houston trade was made so that we could get into the top 5 for a QB. That didn't work out. 

Besides that though, what value are the Vikings missing. Could we have got back more draft capital you think?

9 minutes ago, Soko said:

Kinda similar to Love->Rodgers, yeah? Don’t fully remember what Rodgers’ contract situation was like at the time, though. A-Rod was also a little older (38) than Kirk is right now (36 Week 1), so there’s that. And tbf, the Packers were picking later in the draft, not the top 10. 

But the premise and reaction are similar. Yeah, you’ve got a guy that you see being your franchise QB for a few years, but now you’ve got a talented guy to groom. Everyone hates it at the time, but Packers fans are happy they have Love now. 

Contract situation was different and Rodgers had openly flirted with retirement a la Favre.  Also, the age of the prospects is massively different, if Penix sits for 3 years, he won't play til he is 27.  And where they were drafted is a big difference.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Contract situation was different and Rodgers had openly flirted with retirement a la Favre.  Also, the age of the prospects is massively different, if Penix sits for 3 years, he won't play til he is 27.  And where they were drafted is a big difference.

QBs play longer now.  27 in today’s game is 22 from previous generations.  And if he’s sitting he will have less mileage.

19 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Penix is almost the same age as Jordan Love is now. I just don’t see the upside with him like other recent QBs who sat like Mahomes or Love. I’d understand it a bit more with McCarthy but not with 24 year old Penix.

The overall process between the Cousins signing and the Penix pick dumbfounds me.

Liking or disliking Penix the prospect will definitely swing the logic of the pick, for sure. I like Penix, but agree that if you were going to pick a guy for longer term + upside, then I’d have gone McCarthy.

15 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

The contract/overall situation wasn’t identical, no, but logic was there. I don’t think many of us see Kirk being a top 12ish QB at 38/39 years old.

As for the age, it certainly matters, but if you think he’s a hit does it matter that he’ll be 27 vs 25? I wouldn’t pass on a franchise QB (at least someone who I expect to be one) because of a year or two.

FWIW: I’d have taken Odunze, Turner, or Latu. Take another QB later on.

Edited by Soko

13 minutes ago, USADave said:

Devils advocate: They have a franchise QB to be Competitive.  They allow Penix time to develop and learn from a quality vet.

Rodgers sat for three years behind Favre and inherited an NFC Championship team.  Mahomes sat behind Smith and inherited an AFC Championship team.  Brady sat behind Bledsoe and inherited a quality team.

I could kinda see this if Kirk was strictly a bridge guy. But you are paying him a ton of money to presumably give your team a chance to actually win something. So unless this was a Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck prospect that fell from heaven to you and it was just way too much to pass up even if you had to neglect Cousins, this seems like a waste. They could have drafted Odunze or the best defensive players in the draft. All of which help them day 1. 

Rodgers was drafted in the first, but let's be real, they had a later pick and Farve was old. They didn't pass up some of the preemium prospects to get him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Any person with a spinal fusion is injury prone for the rest of their life, much less a football player. The patient can't move that part of their spine, and the resulting extra torque that places on vertebrates directly above and below leads to frequent re-injury. And when it goes, the only treatment is to expand the fusion, which would unquestionably be a career ending injury.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161004111655.htm

Latu is going to be involved in dog piles getting his neck compressed over and over, and the Colts are trying to get a 2nd contract out of him. To be clear, I hope I'm wrong. I'm rooting for the kid. But investing that kind of pick value with such a limited track record is nuts.

He'll be injured when he gets injured, in other words. He didn't miss a game for two years after returning from surgery - and produced at a top level. That alone should imply no major concerns at this point. If the Colts aren't overly worried about the risk (beyond the ever-present risk that hangs over the heads of all football players), I don't see why we forum posters should be. He's been medically cleared by people more informed than you, or me, or anyone else here. I'm surprised by your description of the pick at 15 as "nuts" - he's been called one of the best pass rushers and players in the draft. If you like the guy, you don't let him fall to someone else. You think he should've gone in the second? I'm not saying there's no risk at all, but you don't think two straight years of full health and production is a sufficient track record to alleviate some concerns?

19 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I think I needed it a little more spelled out haha

Dang. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

He'll be injured when he gets injured, in other words. He didn't miss a game for two years after returning from surgery - and produced at a top level. That alone should imply no major concerns at this point.

No, not at all. He has a structural weakness in the upper part of his spine that is not going to go away because the surgery removed a disc that bends and replaced it with metal plates that don't.

I have been evaluated for this surgery (lower back, not upper) and have had a few second opinions. You are wildly, wildly underestimating the risks.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Complete meatball. I don't understand how anyone could watch him be the same guy since his freshman year and think there's growth there.

Penix was a dude everywhere he’s been and his only issues are medical (legitimate) and age, whereas Nix basically sucked for 3 years and underachieved, followed by doing well and then great in a system where others have thrived for a decade that basically doesn’t translate at all in the next level where other more talented players like Mariota underwhelmed.

Penix succeeded at IU with a bunch of nobodies around him and then again at Washington.

Nix sucked at Auburn then everything clicked in that scheme as an old guy who should have been graduated if not for Covid. And the scheme didn’t make him do anything presnap, make NFL type throws, go through any professions or NFL caliber routes, etc. He is a plus athlete but not a great one and his accuracy is super spotty downfield.

• Like 1

Best:

Patriots getting QB2 (in a super strong QB draft) at 3 overall.

Giants getting WR1 (in a super strong WR draft) at 6 overall.

Eagles getting CB1 without trading up at 22 overall.

Rams getting EDGE1 at 19 overall.

Jags trading down and still getting WR4 at 23. 

Worst:

Commanders getting QB4 at 2 overall.

Falcons getting QB5 at 8 overall.

Broncos getting QB6 at 10 overall.

49ers getting WR9?10? At 31 overall.

Panthers TRADING UP 1 spot from 33 to 32 for WR6/7. I think that is an awful trade back. That 33 pick may be the only pick in the draft that is more valuable than the pick before it. 

And I really don't like the trade up value that the Vikings got. They traded away a ton of picks, but at least they got good players at important positions. 

I think the Jets and Cowboys operated the board well as well, getting little value in trade downs while still getting value players. 

• Like 2