3.88 - Marshawn Lloyd [RB; USC]

6 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Lloyd averaged 7.1 yards per carry last year.  Think about that.  Get him in space and he can do things.  He's going to be fun to add to this offense.  I think they'll slowly add him in with specific plays here and there.

Yes, though USC style of offense favors that. Great on outside runs, screens, etc. Only concern is his small hands (fumble issues). I'd also add his oft questionable, almost chaotic decision making as a concern, but that is also part of what makes him so entertaining to watch.

Edited by DWhitehurst

Marshawn Lynch was about 15 when Marshawn Lloyd was born.

So Lloyd already would have been about seven or eight before Lynch started beasting in the NFL.

How great is it to find that you have been born with a name that coincidentally matches an NFL legend, that you have a prodigious talent for the game of football, and that you have a smoldering desire to make football your life?

And then you get invited to live the dream… for hundreds of thousands of dollars. 

Edited by Uffdaswede

4 hours ago, beekay414 said:

IGWT but I'm not going to be able to get behind this one til he gets on the field. He's 23, still raw and has issues with ball security. He's a one contract player. 

I think that is really key.  Ease him in year 1 with Dillon as RB2 this season.  Make sure he gets his protections down and he is RB2 next season.  Then it is time to move on from Jacobs and you run Lloyd into the ground for two seasons while you groom the next RB.  Look back to Eddie Lacy.  We got two really good years out of him, and never really paid him either.  That was worth the late second.  Do the same here and it is worth a late third.

I think I would have preferred a different RB at this spot.  But I think it was also a good RB spot, especially given what was on the board at the time.

Outside of ball security issues (which is def a priority to fix), Lloyd is a good get in round 3. Yea he's 23 but I look at that a bit differently and see a guy who's ready to play right now. Instantly adds a different element to the run game and gives the offense another weapon. Always a good thing in my book. 

6 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

His vision didn't look great in a Mickey Mouse offense, and he needs to fix his pad lv.

I legitimately don't know how you would evaluate his vision. Pretty much every single run they ran had him on rails. 

From the RSP:

Is a track record of fumbling a death-knell for a player’s career potential? It can be. Stevan Ridley was a promising starter who fumbled his opportunity away. David Wilson’s career stalled due to ball security. Ameer Abdullah fumbled away his starting opportunity in Detroit.  

At the same time, Sony Michell had an awful track record at Georgia and didn’t have a problem in New England. Poor ball security in college isn’t necessarily predictive of poor ball security in the NFL. I’m still examining the subject before I make changes to my grading of ball security—if I do at all.  

If you believe Lloyd’s ball security woes are addressable and he can make a significant improvement but within the bounds of realism, add 3-4 points to his overall grade. I’m not, but I’m open to the idea. Lloyd won’t likely have the draft capital where the risk of the ball security doesn’t make the choice outlandish.  

As for the rest of his game, watching Lloyd makes me miss Deangelo Williams and it was a pleasant surprise that I had Lloyd compared stylistically to Williams before I checked MockDraftable to look at body type and athletic comparisons. Williams was the top match.  Stylistically, they are comparable but talentwise, Lloyd is at least a tier away in ability even if you project the best possible outcome for Lloyd’s ball security. Williams had excellent decision-making skills and had mastery of his run schemes. Lloyd has an inconsistent understanding of when to bounce runs and when to stay the course behind his line.  

Williams could run gap or zone at an equally high level. Lloyd is better at outside zone. Williams also had more functional power.  

Still, there’s a reason that Lloyd’s ball security was the only thing standing in the way between his ranking at the bottom of Tier II and being at the top of tier two. Lloyd can break tackles, bounce off hits, drag or push defenders, and produce as a receiver from the backfield. Lloyd is also a promising pass protector with the core strength to become a reliable bodyguard for his quarterback in the NFL if he curtails the lapses he has with reading the pocket.  

Lloyd is a talented runner who should be part of a committee and could develop into a lead back. Don’t fumble. 

After losing Jones, I certainly like the sound of this...

"When the Packers turned in their first third-round pick of the night for Southern California running back MarShawn Lloyd, a transfer from South Carolina, Saban claimed that the back was the second-best running back he had evaluated in the 2024 draft class and that he would be a significant contributor in the passing game."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, craig said:

He didn't catch a lot of passes in college did he?  13 receptions in 11 games doesn't seem like that much.  But stats obviously may not reflect actual capacity in future.  If his hands are exceptional and he's got promise in the receiving area, it would be fun to have a shifty guy.  

He did look really natural catching the ball at both the Combine and his Pro Day.  He was specifically one of the RB's I watched closely at the Combine.     He also has the 1 downfield catch in his highlight reel that makes you think he can do much more than he was asked to.   Never going to be the Christian McCaffrey type where he could have been a slot WR if the RB thing didn't work out - but I think he has the capacity 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Lloyd averaged 7.1 yards per carry last year.  Think about that.  Get him in space and he can do things.  He's going to be fun to add to this offense.  I think they'll slowly add him in with specific plays here and there.

Honestly he reminds me of a plus version of Alex Green 

Gotta love the explosion here. Sure there are concerns about him coming from that joke of an offense, but RB aren't QB. There won't be a huge learning curve, and he will get a small number of packages at first anyway. He looks like a natural receiver and while not a good blocker yet he looks like he's willing just never really worked on it much. To me he looks like he could be a great 3rd down weapon if everything clicks. 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

After losing Jones, I certainly like the sound of this...

"When the Packers turned in their first third-round pick of the night for Southern California running back MarShawn Lloyd, a transfer from South Carolina, Saban claimed that the back was the second-best running back he had evaluated in the 2024 draft class and that he would be a significant contributor in the passing game."

I don't know how much you looked at the RBs in this class, I didn't watch a whole lot of full games to get pass protection or route running when they didn't get the pass, but I feel like I watched quite a bit of quite a few of the RBs.  There were a lot of backs that I felt did one or two things really well, but it really lacked that true do it all player.  I think that this also lends itself to your personal flavor of back being rated highly.  I have seen rankings really all over the place between different pundits.  And I honestly think they all make a pretty good case for their guy, and how they project them.  I believe Lloyd was the third back taken, so he was at least that high on the Packers list.