3.88 - Marshawn Lloyd [RB; USC]

28 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You and I remember this very differently.

Fair enough. I don't remember his fumble rate with the Packers, but I had thought it was less with GB? Correct me though if I'm wrong. But it's been awhile, and I don't remember the negatives. 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That's honestly going to be the thing that keeps him from succeeding.  If he didn't have the fumble issues in college....

Yeah, the ball-security is just so impactful.  I almost feel like especially so in close games where a back is straining to get an extra yard.  Obviously Jones fumbled some, particularly in some of the key games (Tampa, San Fran playoff losses).  Hopefully Marshawn will limit them to an acceptable level.  

1 hour ago, DWhitehurst said:

Yes, small hands. Yet he seems to catch the ball well. Reminds me of Ahmad Green, who had fumble issues early on with Seattle, got in Holmgren's doghouse, got traded to GB for Vinson, and fixed that issue, and had a great career with the Packers. I'm confident that it will get addressed by the coaches, hopefully minimize the issue.

Green had some terrific years with GB....but I recall him having fumbling problems as well...the primary reason cited (as I recall) was his wearing rubber forearm covers on both arms.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Green had some terrific years with GB....but I recall him having fumbling problems as well...the primary reason cited (as I recall) was his wearing rubber forearm covers on both arms.

in his prime Packers years he had: 6, 5, 4, 7, and 7 fumbles.  Got hurt in 05 and only had one fumble in 5 games.  Returned in 06 with 4 fumbles in 14 games.  He averaged 4.25 fumbles per season in Green Bay. He fumbled on 3.7 percent of his carries while with the Packers.  Compare that to 0.8% for Ryan Grant, and 1.3% for Aaron Jones.

*I didn't count receptions for the total, so it is probably a little better, but not much.

8 hours ago, thrILL! said:

He’s going to be a handful for defenses in December and January. 

Sure is, I'll be curious to how they use him, and if we'll see any Jacobs and Lloyd both in there in some limited formations. Send one out to the flat on the right, send one out to the left.  Lots of stuff they could occasionally do.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

46 carries on 11 games is about a drive a game. Feels right. 

Less, because he had that game where Jones and Williams were injured and Dillon plowed through the Titans, so he had one start with 20+ carries and 25ish carries through the other 10. Spot duty at best. 

13 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Fair enough. I don't remember his fumble rate with the Packers, but I had thought it was less with GB? Correct me though if I'm wrong. But it's been awhile, and I don't remember the negatives. 

I remember it like you do - Green's issue is that once a player gets a rep as a fumbler (or a guy who has issues with drops, as a WR) EVERY incident is people going "SEE?" even if they get their rate of those incidences at or below league average. 

MVS is a good recent example, in that in his last season with GB he was dinged for ZERO drops on about 50 targets but people were still complaining about all his drops that season. The problem returned in KC, so I'm not saying it was "fixed" but in a season where he had as few as one can, people were still somehow remembering him dropping the ball in games.

Same with Green - he DID have some fumbling issues early, but when you look at the number of fumbles, his workload, and compare it to similar backs, he wasn't putting the ball on the ground at any sort of horrifying level.  2001 for example - he had a similar workload and fumble numbers as Jamal Lewis, Ricky Williams, Travis Henry, Fred Taylor, and Deuce McAllister, all of them having a fumble every 50ish touches. 

17 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Reminds me of Ahmad Green, who had fumble issues early on with Seattle, got in Holmgren's doghouse, got traded to GB for Vinson, and fixed that issue, and had a great career with the Packers. I'm confident that it will get addressed by the coaches, hopefully minimize the issue.

Fumbling was actually a huge issue for Green as a Packer.  GB just lived with it because the rest of his game was so damn good. In his first 5 seasons as a Packer, Green logged 30 fumbles.  That is a crazy high number.