What are the Falcons doing with Cousins and Michael Pennix Jr.?

DigInBoys

They're having Cousins start for 2024 and 2025. Letting Penix heal up for 2 years and develop for 2 years. Then they're cutting Cousins with post June 1 designation after the first two years and having a QB room that will cost them <$20M for the first two years of Penix starting before his fifth year option. Makes a ton of sense to me.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, scar988 said:

They're having Cousins start for 2024 and 2025. Letting Penix heal up for 2 years and develop for 2 years. Then they're cutting Cousins with post June 1 designation after the first two years and having a QB room that will cost them <$20M for the first two years of Penix starting before his fifth year option. Makes a ton of sense to me.

Could Penix be the new Riddler?

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Could Penix be the new Riddler?

Any QB in this draft could be the new ridder so yes Penix could be as could Caleb lol.  It's always a 50/50 chance what QB's succeed and which ones don't.   The one good thing i think Penix has going for him is he won't be thrust into a tough situation and have to handle the entire teams load his rookie year.    He can learn from a top tier mind at the QB position for 2 years.  Plus he has alot of really good young weapons and a upper tier o-line already built around him. 

So if he can't succeed with that then he wasn't going to succeed at all imo.  But Penix was my @#2 qb in this class behind Jayden Daniels so i have as much hope in him to be really good as anyone.

For the most part i see what they were trying to do even though it did hurt us something in the short term for this season.   I fully believe they think they have a team that can win the division right now with Kirk Cousins who is a regular season stud almost everywhere he has went.    If the same is true here then you will be picking around 18 to 32 in the next 2 years.  Those are the 2 years you would need to be looking for a Kirk successor in the top of the draft.   Which means to get into the top 5 from 18 to 32  you are going to have to give up an absolute FORTUNE in picks to get your next QB.  Think what the Panthers gave up for Young and maybe even more to go that high.   This draft was considered a elite level QB class and much better talent than the next 2 years or so are supposed to be. 

So they bit the bullet now on their guy while they had a top 8 pick to get him in Penix with just 1 pick.   Instead of giving up multiple 1sts and 2nd's to move up in a year or 2 to go after a lesser talented QB class.       As said it sucks we missed out on a good edge rusher this year in round 1 but that might work out in our favor 2 years from now when we don't have to give up multiple high picks over 2 drafts.  Which would hurt way more than 1 edge rusher miss now.

I mean heck with the picks you save next year you could easily throw them at a player like Burns, Hendrickson etc... like came available this year.   For whatever edge guys come available next year.  To make up for the guy you passed on at 8 this year.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Any QB in this draft could be the new ridder so yes Penix could be as could Caleb lol.  It's always a 50/50 chance what QB's succeed and which ones don't.   The one good thing i think Penix has going for him is he won't be thrust into a tough situation and have to handle the entire teams load his rookie year.    He can learn from a top tier mind at the QB position for 2 years.  Plus he has alot of really good young weapons and a upper tier o-line already built around him. 

So if he can't succeed with that then he wasn't going to succeed at all imo.  But Penix was my @#2 qb in this class behind Jayden Daniels so i have as much hope in him to be really good as anyone.

For the most part i see what they were trying to do even though it did hurt us something in the short term for this season.   I fully believe they think they have a team that can win the division right now with Kirk Cousins who is a regular season stud almost everywhere he has went.    If the same is true here then you will be picking around 18 to 32 in the next 2 years.  Those are the 2 years you would need to be looking for a Kirk successor in the top of the draft.   Which means to get into the top 5 from 18 to 32  you are going to have to give up an absolute FORTUNE in picks to get your next QB.  Think what the Panthers gave up for Young and maybe even more to go that high.   This draft was considered a elite level QB class and much better talent than the next 2 years or so are supposed to be. 

So they bit the bullet now on their guy while they had a top 8 pick to get him in Penix with just 1 pick.   Instead of giving up multiple 1sts and 2nd's to move up in a year or 2 to go after a lesser talented QB class.       As said it sucks we missed out on a good edge rusher this year in round 1 but that might work out in our favor 2 years from now when we don't have to give up multiple high picks over 2 drafts.  Which would hurt way more than 1 edge rusher miss now.

I mean heck with the picks you save next year you could easily throw them at a player like Burns, Hendrickson etc... like came available this year.   For whatever edge guys come available next year.  To make up for the guy you passed on at 8 this year.

A simple yes would have sufficed.

• Like 12

I wouldn't have drafted Penix at all unless I was going to start him this year. Even if he can rise above the injury history to become a dependable quarterback, he's already 24. No time to waste. Get him out there (with a decent guy backing him up if he gets hurt) and see what you have.

Which the Falcons aren't in a position to do, because they just signed Cousins to 4 years for $180 million. It doesn't make sense. So to answer the question, I don't know what they're doing.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I know what they didn’t do. They didn’t get Cousins a new weapon with their first round pick

I mean, around COusins he has Drake as a WR1, Mooney as Wr2, Moore as a slot, Pitts as TE1, and Bijan as RB1.

What else do you want ? 

• Like 1

Falcons were the perfect team to just draft and start Penix. They could have singed Joe Flacco cheap and went about their business. Gotta wonder if they fell in love with Penix later in the process after meetings and whatnot. I guess at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if Penix ends up the Falcons QB for 10 years.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Flounch said:

I mean, around COusins he has Drake as a WR1, Mooney as Wr2, Moore as a slot, Pitts as TE1, and Bijan as RB1.

What else do you want ? 

Someone that could have immediately helped? 

Odunze is light years better than guys like Mooney and Moore.   Put Odunze at WR2 and slide those 2 down and thats a truly elite unit.   Oh, and was a far better WR prospect than Penix was a QB prospect.

But if not on offense, go defense.    That front 7 is extremely underwhelming, and the couple good ones are on the wrong side of 30.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, raidersedge said:

Falcons were the perfect team to just draft and start Penix. They could have singed Joe Flacco cheap and went about their business. Gotta wonder if they fell in love with Penix later in the process after meetings and whatnot. I guess at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if Penix ends up the Falcons QB for 10 years.

Exactly.  And they gave Cousins the Brinks truck AFTER the combine.  So it isn’t like they signed Cousins, and then fell in love with Penix at the combine.  

This stinks of Arthur Blank meddling in the process.  

Okay, so I've come around a little bit to this pick and succumbed to the pro-Atlanta propaganda. It's realistic to think that Cousins has about 2 years left of top 15 play. Cousins is old, coming off a serious injury, and was never an elite player to start. His contract is effectively a 2-year deal with most of his guarantee being exhausted by year 3. He has a no-trade clause, so they would probably have to cut him if they wanted to pivot toward Penix in year 3.

On the Penix side, we have seen how beneficial it can be for a rookie to sit for at least his first season. Between Mahomes, Love, Rodgers, and Kaepernick, we have seen how sitting a young QB early in his career has had good results (contra Trey Lance).

So, I think Atlanta believes the likeliest scenario is they compete with Cousins for the next two seasons and is cut after the 2026 season.

7 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

you have made a sensible enough argument, but in following this logic and feeling it was ATL's rationale, then they could have traded down a bit from 8, acquired more capital in this draft or a future one, and still drafted Penix. if they had done something like that, the reaction would be less lopsided.

8 hours ago, Malfatron said:

A simple yes would have sufficed.

What kind of lazy work is that lol   If you are going to ask such an immaculate question then it's my duty to give you a well thought out reply that was worthy of your time.

• Like 3