Jaguars extend QB Trevor Lawrence (5 years, $275M, $200M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

every team in the NFL had a chance at Baker when he was a FA and he got a $4M 1 year deal.  that was his market, so him getting less on his current deal is not really shocking.  

Why are you referring to Baker two years ago, when since then he’s had a better season than Lawrence, actually got his team to the playoffs, and just recently signed a longer deal than he did in 2022? 

Obviously there’s an element to Baker’s volatility, meanwhile Lawrence’s inconsistency can be written off by being a younger player. But that doesn’t excuse “this is the new average going rate for starting QBs”.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

the 5 years is something if you consider that Baker and Goff are probably at their ceiling vs Lawrence potentially is not.  JAX is doing this deal in the hope that Lawrence is ascending vs at a plateau

I just named a handful of players that had some of their best seasons beyond age 29. Like, not just the HOFers (Brady, Brees, Peyton, Rodgers), but also Stafford, Ryan, Eli, Ben, Rivers, Romo, now Dak, Cousins, Wilson - basically most of the top 5-12 guys of the past decade+. 

If these guys were 34-35, then yeah, you have to hedge your bet that this guy is conceivably going to fall off before the deal ends. You don’t really have that fear at 29. 

40 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

When it comes to QB contracts, the market is out of whack as is so the money is whatever. I'm only going to pay QBs that I believe I can win a Superbowl with and I believe Trevor can based his tape thus far. I have more faith in him than I do in Jags management, considering the recent drafting and FA signings.

The only big QB contract that I'm going to take issues with is Tua's if he gets near this amount. I honestly think he's a slightly above average starter being propped up by his surroundings and the Dolphins would be making a huge mistake if they go through with paying him that much. 

So...I don't know that I agree, from a practical perspective. Lawrence is good enough to win a superbowl, I don't disagree on that inherently. But I'm not sure I believe that he can win the superbowl with the Jaguars while he is taking up 20% of the salary cap. Like, just looking at the surrounding landscape in the AFC, not even the whole league. You have the Bengals, Ravens, Chiefs, and Bills all in your conference. I think there's a legitimate argument that the Jags have the worst coaching of that bunch, the least talent, the worst QB play, and now the most expensive QB. And I think there's a very possible future where all those claims could be true for the Texans (it might be already, tbh) and the Chargers (this might take a year or two) as well.

Like, I agree that if you plucked Lawrence off the Jags and threw him in San Francisco or something, sure he could probably win a superbowl. But as things sit, where is the actual path to a superbowl victory after this contract? Just pray you really nail some drafts? Is Baalke the guy to make that happen? I agree in a vacuum, Lawrence can win a superbowl. There's enough talent and skill there. But he's still like the 7th best QB in the conference. And now tied for most expensive. I just don't see how that adds to a superbowl without a crazy amount of luck. Any games in the near future against another AFC contender will be against a team that has more resources and better QB play. I don't see how you overcome that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

So...I don't know that I agree, from a practical perspective. Lawrence is good enough to win a superbowl, I don't disagree on that inherently. But I'm not sure I believe that he can win the superbowl with the Jaguars while he is taking up 20% of the salary cap. Like, just looking at the surrounding landscape in the AFC, not even the whole league. You have the Bengals, Ravens, Chiefs, and Bills all in your conference. I think there's a legitimate argument that the Jags have the worst coaching of that bunch, the least talent, the worst QB play, and now the most expensive QB. And I think there's a very possible future where all those claims could be true for the Texans (it might be already, tbh) and the Chargers (this might take a year or two) as well.

Like, I agree that if you plucked Lawrence off the Jags and threw him in San Francisco or something, sure he could probably win a superbowl. But as things sit, where is the actual path to a superbowl victory after this contract? Just pray you really nail some drafts? Is Baalke the guy to make that happen? I agree in a vacuum, Lawrence can win a superbowl. There's enough talent and skill there. But he's still like the 7th best QB in the conference. And now tied for most expensive. I just don't see how that adds to a superbowl without a crazy amount of luck. Any games in the near future against another AFC contender will be against a team that has more resources and better QB play. I don't see how you overcome that.

As I said earlier, I think management is the main issue with the team as Baalke should've never been hired to begin with. I think Lawrence has shown flashes of elite play when he's healthy, and if you're not going to move off of him, (they shouldn't) you have to pay him the going rate. IMO, he's the best thing that franchise has going for them at this point.

• Like 1

Lets be clear: Not all of these throws are good. Not all of these are on the receivers. 

But its still an absolutely hilarious reel. 

Jags receiver awareness in the early part of these highlights is just so god awful 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Lol considering how the jags are actually working on building a new stadium makes u about as smart as Jason la confora

Not saying this is the case, but didn't Kroenke move the Rams to LA in 2016 when St Louis had paid for and was on the process of actually building their new stadium? 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lets be clear: Not all of these throws are good. Not all of these are on the receivers. 

Jags receiver awareness in the early part of these highlights is just so god awful 

They look like the Cardinals' 2022 WR room lol.

• Like 1

That contract seems like a massive overpay and premature. Lawrence hasn't shown much thus far in his career and is signed for 2 more seasons on his rookie deal plus potentially 2 tag seasons. The 200 mil guaranteed could make this comparable to the Russell Wilson deal as a franchise killer, if TL doesn't dramatically cut down on his turnovers. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

The Titans watched all this then gave Calvin Ridley a raise bahahaha

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HoboRocket said:

Not saying this is the case, but didn't Kroenke move the Rams to LA in 2016 when St Louis had paid for and was on the process of actually building their new stadium? 

No, St. Louis sued because Kroenke violated the relocation guidelines by negotiating in bad faith with the city.

But since you asked and I get a free pot shot, he did a few scummy things after he moved like suing the city to maintain the option to buy the training facility which was separate from the stadium for $1 and then he exercised that option. He also threatened the other NFL owners to settle with St. Louis personally so they would have still be liable for their relocation votes to get them to split the bill with him.

• Like 1

Seems pricey based on what he's done, but there was no doubt in my mind Jacksonville was going to extend him. They're just banking on him improving, which I think is very possible that he does.

2 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

These jags to London rumors started back when they first started London.  

Shad ain't moving the team especially having invested money on brand new facilities. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/jaguars-and-the-city-of-jacksonville-agree-to-spend-1-4-billion-on-stadium-of-the-future

• Like 1