Bryce Young benched

game3525

Has a young QB ever been benched but then actually come back and done anything of relevancy?

This feels similar to 2014 when rather then work through growing pains of EJ Manuel, Marrone benched him for Kyle Orton to try and save the season - Bills were 2-2 at the time. 

Just seems like the Panthers should trade him away at this point.

• Like 4

What exactly do they get out of putting Andy Dalton out there? They need to play Bryce Young through this regardless to see if he's worth keeping around or not. Even if he's not, his abysmal play gets you the high pick you'll need to replace him. Benching him now is stupid to me. 

• Like 6

Just now, Trentwannabe said:

Has a young QB ever been benched but then actually come back and done anything of relevancy?

This feels similar to 2014 when rather then work through growing pains of EJ Manuel, Marrone benched him for Kyle Orton to try and save the season - Bills were 2-2 at the time. 

Same season? 

Tyrod benched that one time for Nathan Peterman lol

Career wise? Alex Smith was benched with SF and made a nice comeback with the niners before the trade to KC 

• Like 2

Drew Brees was benched several times in 2003 by Marty. It is rare, but a player can turn it around. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

What exactly do they get out of putting Andy Dalton out there? They need to play Bryce Young through this regardless to see if he's worth keeping around or not. Even if he's not, his abysmal play gets you the high pick you'll need to replace him. Benching him now is stupid to me. 

I'd argue you've probably already seen enough to know he's not worth keeping around.

But what do they get out of this? Canales lowers his team's risk of a complete and utter mutiny. I finally saw that little jump pass Bryce does. That situation is comical. The team can't function with a QB playing like that. The upside being 'the chance of fielding a functional offense' is pretty damn good.

• Like 2

I wouldn't have called Tyrod a young QB in 2017. I more specifically meant an early draft pick lol

Fair point lol

I honestly can't remember a young QB getting benched like that and coming back same season strong.

Flores benched tua in multiple games early on, but I think tua always came back and started the following game. 

• Like 1