Bryce Young benched

game3525

On 9/19/2024 at 4:48 AM, HoboRocket said:

I think if you are an outlier negatively with your traits, you need to have SOMETHING to compensate and make you a physical outlier in some other way.

Kyler? Small. BUT possibly the quickest QB in the league, incredibly hard to get a hand on, creates throwing lanes for himself and has an absolute cannon for an arm.

Brees? Small. BUT unreal anticipation and accuracy, and some spider-sense like ability to always know where his receivers would be on the field. And fantastic ability to manipulate the pocket kind of like Brady or Manning. 

Brees, is significantly taller than Young. Not many less than 6ft qbs make it without insane athleticism.

Kyler has incredible acceleration and agility to make up for his short stature. 

On 9/19/2024 at 4:48 AM, HoboRocket said:

Wilson? Similar to Kyler. Can extend plays and used to be the hardest person to tackle in the NFL just because he always knew where the defenders were. 

I don't think Young has crazy ability to extend plays. I think he CAN but he always seems disoriented and panicked when he does, where Kyler and Wilson were largely unfazed when they scrambled. I also don't think Young has been able establish that chemistry with his receivers where he can anticipate the way Brees could. And he certainly doesn't have the awareness to move pass rushers in the pocket like Brees could.

14 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Dak Prescott had the best rookie QB season of the last decade. His yards per attempt were nearly identical to Stroud, his completion percentage was better, he had more TDs and he threw one less pick. He set several rookie records like most pass attempts to start a career without a pick. Prescott was a more impactful runner. And Prescott had even more team success, finishing with a 13-3 record versus Stroud's 9-6. Yes, he had Zeke. Yes, he had that Dallas OL. But he also had that Dallas defense. And he inherited a team that was also one of the worst in the league the year before, much like Stroud. But yeah. 

Dallas was 4-12 with 6 1-score losses and went 2-12 once their best WR and starting QB , being forced to play Matt Cassell and Kellen Moore at QB. Gotta say, I feel like Dak walked into a much better situation with a more help than Stroud did. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Brees, is significantly taller than Young. Not many less than 6ft qbs make it without insane athleticism.

Kyler has incredible acceleration and agility to make up for his short stature. 

Can we stop pretending height matters for a QB. We have a 5'10 QB throwing perfect passer rating last week.

"Kyler is a short QB but he needs his athletic ability to play QB good" mfer is a good QB with or without

Brees is 2 inches taller than young that's not significant. 

Russell Wilson was 5'11 

Doug Flute was 5'10

Fran Tarkenton Was 6'0

Joe Theissman was 6'0.

Sonny Jurgunsen was 5'11 (For the youngins 32 TDs in 61)

On 9/19/2024 at 8:00 PM, DawgX said:

And from what I've heard, Carolina's coaching staff wanted Stroud but Tepper basically forced Young on them.

@iknowcool any legitimacy to this rumor that you're aware of?

I'm a big believer when it comes to these kind of rumors that where there is smoke, there is fire.  I haven't seen anyone close to the team come outright and say it with absolute certainty, but it has been talked about so much that you have to think there is some truth to it.  

I'm somewhere in the middle.  That Reich and co preferred CJ Stroud (this would explain why early on in the process, Stroud was the one being linked to us and McCown telling Stroud he would live in Carolina), but they weren't flat out against Bryce.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xmad said:

Can we stop pretending height matters for a QB. We have a 5'10 QB throwing perfect passer rating last week.

"Kyler is a short QB but he needs his athletic ability to play QB good" mfer is a good QB with or without

Russell Wilson was 5'11 

Doug Flute was 5'10

Fran Tarkenton Was 6'0

Joe Theissman was 6'0.

I'd bet people are taller and bigger than 50 years ago and more at the extreme end. So the comp doesn't work.

Recent examples are wilson, Kyler and Flutie for under 6ft. They are all uber athletic.

9 hours ago, Xmad said:

Russell Wilson was 5'11 

Doug Flute was 5'10

Fran Tarkenton Was 6'0

Joe Theissman was 6'0.

Kyler, as mentioned, has superior mobility that allows him to extend plays and get outside the pocket.

Brees was great at knowing where he was going with the ball and moving in the pocket to where he needed to be to have a lane to throw through. And yeah, 2 inches definitely matters.

Wilson, like Kyler, had superior mobility during his heyday. Now that he's lost a couple of steps, his play has dropped off significantly.

Flutie wasn't an above average NFL QB.

Tarkenton played when Linemen were 6'2" 251 lbs.

Theismann played when Linemen were 6'3" 255 lbs.

Jurgensen played when Linemen were 6'2" 234 lbs. 

• Like 1

It's not his height that is his problem.  It's his inability to read NFL defenses and playing like a Deer in Headlights.

Lack of overall talent on the Panthers and horrific coaching definitely didn't help him either. He was set up to fail!!!

If being "Tall" mattered former QB's like Dan McGuire, Mike Glennon, Paxton Lynch,  Brock Oswielwer, Ryan Mallett and the Jamarcus Russell's of the NFL would of been studs. 

Height isn't even top 8 in attributes QB's need to be  successful. 

I mean just look at this list of primarily Scrubs! 

https://discover.hubpages.com/sports/25-Tallest-Quarterback-to-Ever-Play-in-the-NFL

• Like 1

Correlation and causation, and all that…

Like Tom Brady wasn’t great because he was 6’4”, he was great because he could read defenses, was accurate and had the mentality. 

But he never had to worry about his height. That’s not something he had to even think about or overcome. 

I don’t know if height matters, but I bet it is something that short QBs have to overcome. It won’t hold them back if they’re great at reading defences, accurate, can escape and run, have great movement etc….but it’s something that taller QBs don’t have to even consider. 

it will be on the list, but not a deal breaker 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Xmad said:

Russell Wilson was 5'11 

Doug Flute was 5'10

Fran Tarkenton Was 6'0

Joe Theissman was 6'0.

Which one of them weighed a buck eight five and had mid arm and athletic talent?

His closest comp is Pat White. 

Edited by big_palooka

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Imagine watching this and NOT thinking he’s the best QB in the draft

2 things can be true. Marvin Harrison Jr can be a HOF talent and CJ Stroud can be a HOF talent

Funny thing about this is people wanted to see Stroud be able to create plays outside structure which we didn't see a lot of. He answered that against UGA and was already a precision guy from the pocket able to read defenses. It was such an obvious answer who the best QB was. 

26 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Funny thing about this is people wanted to see Stroud be able to create plays outside structure which we didn't see a lot of. He answered that against UGA and was already a precision guy from the pocket able to read defenses. It was such an obvious answer who the best QB was. 

That was my issue with Stroud was we only saw one game sample of using his legs and extending plays. But that game against Georgia is the exact game you want to see from a #1 Overall Pick. One of the best defenses ever, accurate, aggressive, play extension, running, pocket awareness, arm strength. Stroud with an absolute masterclass. 

I’ve watched a few BY tape breakdowns by former QBs and while height definitely isn’t the main issue, there are definitely moments where he is not seeing around guys on the field 

anyway, I hope he gets the chance to reset and work on some things now that he’s benched. It was idiocy that they didn’t play him in preseason 

34 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Which one of them weighed a buck eight five and had mid arm and athletic talent?

His closest comp is Pat White. 

Pat was at least a pretty solid athlete. 

Kellen Moore at a top 5 program. Moore was right at 6'0 but he had that similar tiny build with very little in the athletic department