Curious Case of Mike Mularkey

KingTitan

13 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I wanted to wait and sleep on this before I posted it.

What Mularkey has done is great and I'm thankful for that. However. I think most of us deep down know he isn't the longterm answer at coach.

So instead of waiting until the bottom falls off, I say we jump ahead cut ties. It's a tough decision and a bit of a risk, but I feel it needs to be done.

That’s been my thing as well. He’s a nice guy and the players seem to like him (at least when things are going well), but it’s just time.

Even so I can’t feel that bad for a multimillionaire, especially if he’s not going to deliver on the talent we have.

4 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Yep which is what I feel it’ll be anyway with Mularkey. If he’s HC, I expect a down year at like 6-10 with a much tougher schedule.

That's a 100% failure on ownership and the FO. If this happens, there truly is no hope for this franchise until its sold.

If we see that changes are needed, the FO must as well. In order to make a positive change, you have to entice candidates. A lame duck is not enticing. A lame duck season means Michael is the only reasonable OC candidate.

Going into next season with no real change is a failure by the FO. Fire him or extend him (while demanding major changes) are the only options they have... If they're serious about improving.

I just can't see a scenario where Mularkey changes his mindset on how to play winning football, and that is what it will take to play winning football. No team can live with consistent 3rd and 7+ all the time. He also refuses to go for the jugular, and allow every team to hang around. This  is the reason I don't see the tossed around CEO type head coach. I know the guy's love him, but I will guarantee that they will love any coach that take them to the AFC Championship and Super Bowl every bit as much...probably more.

It's in his coaching DNA just like throwing a bomb up 28 pts with 5 mins in the 4th quarter or challenging a catch in the same situation is in Bellichek's DNA. 

8 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

You look at the Jaguars going from 3-13 last season to the AFC Championship game this year, and you look at our team under Mularkey and wonder why we are taking years to not even get as far as them.

Thanks Mularkey.

I still think it is different.  
That Jags team was built over what about 3 seasons? The question was always, when are they going to put it all together?

They had the offense when Bortles had 35 TDs that year and they built up the defense with FA. 
Now it finally came together....
They were underachieving for a couple seasons. 

So yeah, I think it took them years too. I think we will be similar. When we finally put it together, it will look just as drastic. 

6 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Lord ??‍♂️ Must I keep explaining yes he inherited brady, but go back & look how the patriots offense look from 01-04 wit brady. Early on the patriots where a run 1st team & brady was more of an Alex Smith game manager QB. In 2005 when McDaniels became OC the patriots offense went to a more a spread attack offense & McDaniels built an offense tailored to brady strengths. Agree or disagree McDaniels played a role in Brady’s development, how do y’all think players become great, just on their own, no players get better by being coached. Peyton Manning even said he became great because he always wanted to be coach no matter how good he was he felt he could be better & if you couldn’t coach him, he would tell you, you’re not doing your job

I can't pretend to know at which point in his career Brady became GOAT and how much any given person he worked with on the coaching staff had to do with it. I'm not saying he didn't have a role in his development, and again, I like him. But even if you account Brady's success to him, that's still just one QB who happens to very arguably be the best who ever played the game, and not that much of a track record outside of him.

Edited by Andrei01