Lions fire HC Jim Caldwell

Broncofan

10 hours ago, steadypimpin said:

Why is Patricia so hyped? Tell me please, I don't know much of him but his defenses don't look that awesome to me. He seems average and to me some guys just aren't cut out for HC jobs. Some guys just need to stay in their lanes as an assistant. 

He's proven he's ready to test the head coaching waters with the way he's turned around the defense this year despite losing Hightower for the season and the regression of key players like Butler and Branch.

His defenses are frustrating at times , but they're routinely among the best at minimizing points allowed and tightening up at the goal line. They're also very clutch as well.

People hate on Jim Caldwell way too much.  He's an above average coach IMO.

As a Lions fan am I glad they are moving on?  Yes. But Caldwell, during his time here, deserves a lot of credit for helping Matthew Stafford to really take his game to another level. 

Don't want Matt Patricia.

43 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

Why is Patricia so hyped? Tell me please, I don't know much of him but his defenses don't look that awesome to me. He seems average and to me some guys just aren't cut out for HC jobs. Some guys just need to stay in their lanes as an assistant. 

This year he turned the 32nd ranked defense over the first quarter of a season into a top 5 ppg statistically at the seasons end. Last year he had the top defense in ppg in the league and they came up clutch when they needed to close out the 2nd half of the game when it really mattered. Not to mention they did that in a year where Belichick traded away their best pass rusher before the season started and traded who was considered their best linebacker midway through the season. In 2014 and 2015 his defense was top 10 and in the former year an insanely disciplined play by a UDFA who wasn't in the gameplan but was super prepared was the key play in winning the Super Bowl. He's never had less than a top 10 defense since he's been with the Patriots and he was instrumental in reversing the biggest decline in New England defense in the Belichick and Brady era. Seriously the year before he got there the New England defense was considered to have the worst secondary ever to actually reach the Super Bowl and they were unable to get key stops they needed in that game and were unable to stop the Jets and Ravens in the two previous playoffs. 

He's very good and he gets underrated by comparison because when people think of the Patriots defense they think of those years where it was Law/Seymour/Harrison/Bruschi/Vrabel on solid stacked to the gills defenses lighting up teams. So alot of their succes has been down to his scheming and figuring out how to position the defense as the season progresses. 

Archived