Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

So you're telling me that if Dez managed to alienate Davante enough to ask for a trade, you'd be okay with that simply because we'd be getting better production in 2018?  I mean, I get wanting to improve the roster but you're literally arguing the merit of Dez on the basis of name value.  There's a reason why Dez hasn't signed yet.  Nobody is going to give him the kind of deal he wants.  Dez is going to come in here and want touches.  That means less touches for Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Jimmy Graham, etc.  Are you prepared to do that?

I'm with you, CWood21. I interpreted "wired right" to mean someone who has it together, as we used to say in the day. Someone who is primarily about the team instead of himself. Someone who is willing to sacrifice himself for the good of the team. Someone who compliments his teammates instead of grabbing the glory. Does that sound like Dez? I'm on record on this site as saying the Packers need to bring in an experienced #2, but Dez in not that person. He's not wired right.

On 5/12/2018 at 12:13 PM, MathMan said:

1 year, 8 million.

that should get it done

You know how much that would insult Rodgers? 

I don't think Gute is dumb...and signing Dez for real money is dumb.  You simply cannot sign any WR left for decent money without making yourself look even worse for the handling of Jordy Nelson.  (Hence the insult to Rodgers)

Only way Dez works is if he takes a near minimum deal...and he didn't take one for a lot more than that with the Ravens, no reason for him to take it here.

25 minutes ago, Leader said:

Wouldn't be opposed to that but I've got a hard time seeing.  I'd like the aggression which this offseason has lacked badly IMO.   

Adams, Cobb, Bryant and likely Moore would be locks for the roster IMO (we don't see 4th round picks cut immediately very often).

Which two make the squad out of Yancy, Allison, Davis, ESB and Valdes-Scantling? 

Unless they have intention of using Alexander as a returner, it seems like one of Davis and Valdes-Scantling will make it as a returner (unless they view Moore as a returner).

Would certainly present some roster questions if they added Dez Bryant but like AG20 said, there is no such thing as too many redzone threats. 

Edited by SSG

32 minutes ago, SSG said:

Wouldn't be opposed to that but I've got a hard time seeing.  I'd like the aggression which this offseason has lacked badly IMO. Adams, Cobb, Bryant and likely Moore would be locks for the roster IMO (we don't see 4th round picks cut immediately very often). Which two make the squad out of Yancy, Allison, Davis, ESB and Valdes-Scantling? Unless they have intention of using Alexander as a returner, it seems like one of Davis and Valdes-Scantling will make it as a returner (unless they view Moore as a returner). Would certainly present some roster questions if they added Dez Bryant but like AG20 said, there is no such thing as too many redzone threats. 

Sorry to hear of your vision issues.....wasnt aware of that (and here I was always thinking it was your judgement that was a bit off)....hope it clears up soon :)

You left Clark out of the equation. A long shot for this seasons roster? Perhaps - but who knows what he'll bring to TC this year. 

It'll be interesting competition to watch play out and given the size/speed ratios of the rookies, I'm (both) hopeful they bring it (so we can see what we've got) but also wanting that to somehow be kept under wraps cause if they show skills at this next level - I think they'll be prime target pickings for other teams off our PS.

I went looking and couldnt find the height/weight specs for Yancy and Bryant. I *think* Yancy's got a similar body build (kind of a broad shouldered guy who can body up against DBs for position). At this stage of Bryants career - he might not be a far off match. (Now.....dont anybody go jumping my bones that I'm comparing a PS guy to Bryant. Just thinking out loud).

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, SSG said:

Wouldn't be opposed to that but I've got a hard time seeing.  I'd like the aggression which this offseason has lacked badly IMO.   

Adams, Cobb, Bryant and likely Moore would be locks for the roster IMO (we don't see 4th round picks cut immediately very often).

Which two make the squad out of Yancy, Allison, Davis, ESB and Valdes-Scantling? 

Unless they have intention of using Alexander as a returner, it seems like one of Davis and Valdes-Scantling will make it as a returner (unless they view Moore as a returner).

Would certainly present some roster questions if they added Dez Bryant but like AG20 said, there is no such thing as too many redzone threats. 

Adding Dez would make Allison expendable.  I think Allison is a cheap, young, not as good version of what Dez currently provides.  I have been an Allison advocate.  But if he doesn't win that second outside spot, which I think he will as the roster currently stands, I would have to go with the rookies and Clark because of their higher athletic potential.  IMO Yancy has no shot and Davis is on real thin ice.

A counter attack.........

"After a series of defections thinned out the Breen Bay Packers front office earlier this offseason, the team has begun restocking the scouting department.According to Inside the League's Neil Stratton, the Packers have hired Patrick Moore, an area scout with the Cleveland Browns. Moore joined the Browns in 2013 along with four other scouts, remaining with the team through the 22018 NFL Draft. Prior to his arrival in Cleveland, he spent time as a coach with Fordham University, Louisiana Tech, Auburn, Western Carolina, and Illinois Wesleyan"

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/5/14/17354160/packers-hire-browns-area-scout-patrick-moore-nfl-2018

On this whole Allison discussion, he's a perfect example of what I hate about McCarthy and Rodgers. 

Cobb did not play against Cincinnati.  Allison replaced him.  Allison had 6 receptions for 122 yards against the Bengals.  Breakout performance some might say.  Nope.  Allison had 2 receptions over the next 9 games.   In 2016, Allison had 4 receptions for 91 yards and a touchdown in the final game of the season.  We were in the playoffs and only playing that game to determine the division winner.  Why did he get that opportunity?  Because Cobb didn't play.  In fact, Cobb didn't play the previous game, in which Allison had 4 receptions for 66 yards.  Cobb didn't play against Atlanta in 2016, either.  Allison had 2 catches and a TD. 

So in four games of Allison replacing Cobb, Allison had 16 catches for 300 yards and 2 touchdowns.  That's 18.75 yards per catch in games he replaces Cobb.  He has the ability, he has skill and talent, he never sees the effing field. 

Aaron Jones rushed for 5.5 yards per carry last year.  He rushed for 7.7 yards per carry on 17 carries against the Saints.  Montgomery/Williams get healthy after the bye and Jones gets 8 carries against the Lions and Bears.  He gets hurt, misses two games.  He gets a SINGLE carry against Tamp Bay and takes it 20 yards for the game winning touchdown.  He gets 10 total carries over the last four games. 

Trevor Davis.  In 2016, we had no damn body at WR, so Davis is forced into action.  Has 3 catches for 24 yards including a REALLY impressive TD.  He "muffed" a punt in that game.  I say muffed even though it was ILLEGAL TOUCHING (this is a fact, it was illegal what the Falcon player did, and we should have gotten the ball plus a penalty).  What happens?  Davis doesn't get a single catch the rest of the year.  2017, he ha 2 catches until the final game of the season when it doesn't effing matter anymore.  He has 3 catches for 56 yards in the final game.

Jeff Janis had 4 catches for 30 yards and a TD in that Falcons game in 2016.  3 catches the rest of the year.  Jeff Janis had 7 catches for 145 yards and TWO touchdowns (not just the Hail Mary at the end) when we were down to pretty much just him in 2015.  Why did he perform so well?  I can't be sure, but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the fact that he knew they couldn't BENCH him if he didn't turn on the exact blade of grass Rodgers wanted him to.  That first long conversion he caught the ball perfectly in stride because he didn't have to effing worry about being benched for 7 straight games if he didn't do rocket science on each of his routes.

And this is also why I get bothered by all the Thompson hate.  Thompson found a LOT of talent for McCarthy during McCarthy's time here, and McCarthy just flat out refused to put talented players on the field. 

Geronimo Allison has a lot of talent, and anyone who says otherwise isn't being fair to Allison.  He can't perform if he's not given the opportunity, just like a ton of receivers throughout Aaron's time here. 

• Like 4