Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

37 minutes ago, Leader said:

Paul Bretl -  Rasul Douglas’ 3 games as a Packer per PFF:

17 tckls | 5 stops
16 tgts | 56.3% comp | 9.7 YPC
INT | 2 PBUs
QB passer rating of 45.6

how much man has our secondary been playing this year?

is there any tendency about which receiver stokes covers and douglas covers?

discuss.

Not sure 3 games is proof of how good Rasul is or isn't.  In a short sample, maybe you aren't playing great offense (true for Chicago and Washington.). Maybe there is a big play or two where a pass isn't located or whatever.  But, *IF* the premise is that he's JAG, the logic might follow that you can get by with JAG at corner for a few weeks.  Or maybe the premise is that he's actually playing well.  

Q1:  Does Stokes take one side and Douglas the other?  I think that's how they've done it, yes?  Or has Stokes flipped sides sometimes to match the top receiver?  

Q2:  In that 3-game set, it listed 16 targets at Douglas.  I don't have a framework for what that means.  Is that kinda average, an average CB would get ~5 targets per game?  Or is that maybe kind of high?  (My feeling is that Jaire might hae gone two months to get 16 targets last year?)

I ask that because I'm kind of thinking that Douglas has perhaps been somewhat "targetted" by opposing defenses... without getting exposed.  

I admit I don't like to imagine had that been Josh Jackson.  

• Like 1

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -  Today & tomorrow should be busy days for the Packers:

Tonyan & Hill should go to IR
Adams & Lazard could return from COVID
MVS could return from IR
Bakhtiari could return from PUP
Jaire & Z Smith longshots to return from IR
Maybe a trade?
Plus, cuts for roster space

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -  Today & tomorrow should be busy days for the Packers:

Tonyan & Hill should go to IR
Adams & Lazard could return from COVID
MVS could return from IR
Bakhtiari could return from PUP
Jaire & Z Smith longshots to return from IR
Maybe a trade?
Plus, cuts for roster space

So, that is:

+4

Who gets the axe?  My guess is Winfree goes back to PS.  But do they replace Hill with Patrick Taylor?  That would actually make it +5.  So we still need two more spots.  I have not counted Jaire or ZaDarius either.  

20 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So, that is:

+4

Who gets the axe?  My guess is Winfree goes back to PS.  But do they replace Hill with Patrick Taylor?  That would actually make it +5.  So we still need two more spots.  I have not counted Jaire or ZaDarius either.  

Jake Hanson probably goes for DBak (Jenkins would be C #2).

Winfree to PS, I think this is technically already done, as he was a COVID call-up?

Seems like MTaylor or EStB are the odd man out for MVS return.  Taylor is KR #1, so St. Brown back to PS?   Though I think he is our #1 gunner ATM?   Gonna be an interesting call.

If JA is back (I doubt it), it would be between SJC and Yiadom to PS.  They seem unwilling to expose SJC, so I would guess Yiadom would go, based on his quick hook previous week.

Edited by mikebpackfan

1 hour ago, mikebpackfan said:

Jake Hanson probably goes for DBak (Jenkins would be C #2).

Winfree to PS, I think this is technically already done, as he was a COVID call-up?

Seems like MTaylor or EStB are the odd man out for MVS return.  Taylor is KR #1, so St. Brown back to PS?   Though I think he is our #1 gunner ATM?   Gonna be an interesting call.

If JA is back (I doubt it), it would be between SJC and Yiadom to PS.  They seem unwilling to expose SJC, so I would guess Yiadom would go, based on his quick hook previous week.

Looking at the box score for the Cardinals game:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202110280crd.htm

The addition of Mercilus probably makes Hamilton expendable at the OLB spot.  Mercilus and Garvin both played just under 50% of snaps on defense.  

Heflin has been a DNP all season, I think.  

Interesting thought on Yaidom and SJC though.  Both of them played a lot of ST snaps.  Ty Summers, Henry Black, and Isaac Yiadom all played 18 ST snaps, highest on the team.  While SJC played 15, the same as Josiah Deguara and Malik Taylor.  These guys are probably all safe, because of the ST play.

Of note, EQ played in 92% of offensive snaps against the Cardinals.  You would think that they would find a spot for that guy if for nothing else, he is a reasonable Lazard facsimile.  

Tyler Davis, Jake Hanson, Yosh Nijman, and Ben Braden played only a handful of STs snaps, and none from scrimmage.  

• Like 1

Yeah, I forget that Yiadom is a big ST guy and I'm probably being a bit too concerned with doing a 1 for 1 in position groups.  There are a couple of LBs, like Hamilton and maybe McDuffie?, that seem possible for sending back.

Ben Braden is not on the active roster, so he must have been another COVID call up.  

I would say Tyler Davis, but that would put them pretty thin at TE, so I doubt it.

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So, that is:

+4

According to Packers depth chart, we currently have 51 players which includes Lazard.  If you send Tonyan and Hill to IR that leaves 4 spots.  Presumably one will be a running back. 

So that leaves three spots for

Adams, MVS, DBak, Jaire, Z

Jaire and Z are long shots so if we don't bring anyone in then by count, we can bring Adams, MVS and DBak up as well as a running back without needing to cut anyone.

edit - ignore that page was out of date

Edited by mikemike778
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

Yeah, I forget that Yiadom is a big ST guy and I'm probably being a bit too concerned with doing a 1 for 1 in position groups.  There are a couple of LBs, like Hamilton and maybe McDuffie?, that seem possible for sending back.

Ben Braden is not on the active roster, so he must have been another COVID call up.  

I would say Tyler Davis, but that would put them pretty thin at TE, so I doubt it.

McDuffie was in on 11 ST snaps.  I think that he is a Ty Summers replacement for next season, when I believe that Summers is a FA.  Would like that kind of player to be really cheap.  

Braden was up for the last game.  He probably was a covid call-up.  

We still have Lewis, Deguara, and Dafney at TE.  And all three played some offense, with the two D's playing quite a bit of special teams as well.  We still have Kafusi, what ever he is worth on the PS, and Lazard and EQ can do some TE type things.  I am not sure that we need Davis.

I would also suggest Kelly.  He has been out all year, and we can probably get by at tackle without him once Bakhtiari returns.  Nijman has played passable, and Jenkins could slide over and Runyan or Newman could stay at guard, should Turner miss time.  

• Like 1