Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I really hope we don't lose Stenavich. He was a guy many laughed at on here and he's an absolute stud.

Packer FF posters opinions on assistant coaches have a -0.99 correlation to actual ability lol

While I agree, most people were upset with Steno because he lost Campen to bring him in, and Campen is an OL coach legend. 

Steno has seamlessly transitioned and made that "loss" not even a loss. That's a testament to him.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

While I agree, most people were upset with Steno because he lost Campen to bring him in, and Campen is an OL coach legend

Steno has seamlessly transitioned and made that "loss" not even a loss. That's a testament to him.

Nothing I lose sleep over and I've always been in the minority with this opinion but I've always thought he was extremely overrated. While he obviously had a bunch of really good lineman during his tenure all the exceptional ones stood out from day one as really good (with the exception of Lang who drank away his rookie year). I don't really recall any of our developmental guys coming around and we had a bunch of guys who stuck around the league for years after leaving us and played as well or better than with us.

30 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Nothing I lose sleep over and I've always been in the minority with this opinion but I've always thought he was extremely overrated. While he obviously had a bunch of really good lineman during his tenure all the exceptional ones stood out from day one as really good (with the exception of Lang who drank away his rookie year). I don't really recall any of our developmental guys coming around and we had a bunch of guys who stuck around the league for years after leaving us and played as well or better than with us.

As @incognito_man said, our opinion is completely pointless. We've never been in the room with James Campen. We have to go by the word of Bakh, Sitton, Lang, Bulaga, Rodgers, etc who all consider the man an amazing coach.

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

As @incognito_man said, our opinion is completely pointless. We've never been in the room with James Campen. We have to go by the word of Bakh, Sitton, Lang, Bulaga, Rodgers, etc who all consider the man an amazing coach.

On most conversations about position coaches I'd agree about a fans opinion not neing worth much, but given what Stenavich and Butkuss accomplished with all the line changes during the season, I'd call them damn good. The only let-down was the last game, where I would have preferred Turner at RT and Nijman at LT in place of Bakhtiari..........and even that may not have been the OL coaches call.

I was never as high on Campen. He was loyal and not a bad coach, but I never put him as high as Stenavich.

To be clear, my point is primarily that an OC under an offensive HC and a DC under a defensive HC are impossible for fans to judge.

Somewhat easier for position group coaches.

That being said, being a good position coach just tells us they might be good at teaching that position group. It still tells us less than nothing about their ability to coordinate or head coach. Two very very different skillsets.

Edited by incognito_man

3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Jimmy G is the prototype of a non-wow QB that’s efficient enough on offense to move the chains and score enough points to win games.  I agree with Nagler here.

Huh?  He did absolutely nothing vs the Packers.  His defense and special teams stepped up .. period.  NON WOW is correct and they'll move off of him sooner than later.

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

That being said, being a good position coach just tells us they might be good at teaching that position group. It still tells us less than nothing about their ability to coordinate or head coach. Two very very different skillsets.

This reminds me of the management thing about many employees being promoted one step beyond their competence - while they are performing well they advance.............when that stops they stagnate where they end up, one step beyond where they perform well.  HC requires a rather different skillset than a coordinator as @incognito_man says.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

To be clear, my point is primarily that an OC under an offensive HC and a DC under a defensive HC are impossible for fans to judge.

Somewhat easier for position group coaches.

LIS I don't give Campen too much thought and my opinion of him personally isn't of much value. I agree with your post almost entirely with a caveat of the highlighted.

For lack of a better term and to be relatable position coaches are kinda like middle management. They've gotta make sure their area is running smoothly without having to focus on the big picture. I've found that mostly there are two ways people that are successful go about this. There are teachers and relationship builders. Teachers can take most people and improve what they capable of. Relationship builders find a way to keep the talent they have happy and motivated. Both are avenues that work.

I feel like a lot of people in general overestimate the abilities of RBs and Ts and assume they can or are doing both. It's rare to find people who are great at both but people assume successful people are doing both. I feel like, and again my opinion should be taken with multiple grains of salt, Campen was an RB that many assumed was both. Just my two cents and probably says more about fans (and my) assumptions rather than it does Campen himself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Huh?  He did absolutely nothing vs the Packers.  His defense and special teams stepped up .. period.  NON WOW is correct and they'll move off of him sooner than later.

That's the goddamn point!  He's nothing special and yet has his team in the NFC Championship game, ffs.  He's certainly not a wow guy (as Nagler said), but he does just enough to keep er moving. Yes, guys like him are replaceable, but they can also be useful on teams that can't or won't spend a fortune on the wow type guys, and who have a solid defense and special teams.

5 hours ago, thrILL! said:

What if Getsy has a great relationship with Love?

Isn’t the reason to move on from Rodgers is that we don’t have a diva QB dictating to the team? Don’t know if I want to just start giving this treatment to basically a rookie QB.

Like it get it… we want Love to be in the best situation possible to succeed. So him liking the guy helps… but often times what you WANT isn’t what you NEED.

I would want to continue to have a good-great oline. From everything written that is a steno by product. Now if everyone can say the oline play is helped mostly by Rodgers and losing Rodgers will screw over the oline regardless… than sure. But I’m operating until steno is an amazing oline coach.

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Isn’t the reason to move on from Rodgers is that we don’t have a diva QB dictating to the team? Don’t know if I want to just start giving this treatment to basically a rookie QB.

Like it get it… we want Love to be in the best situation possible to succeed. So him liking the guy helps… but often times what you WANT isn’t what you NEED.

How did you infer all that from "great relationship?"   I meant more like maybe Getsy's coaching/teaching has been very effective with Love and they have a good dynamic.  Maybe MLF likes what he sees there and wants it to continue.  

Or maybe he doesn't and now there's a chance to move on and get a new OC (promote Steno) and a QB Coach.  

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

LIS I don't give Campen too much thought and my opinion of him personally isn't of much value. I agree with your post almost entirely with a caveat of the highlighted.

For lack of a better term and to be relatable position coaches are kinda like middle management. They've gotta make sure their area is running smoothly without having to focus on the big picture. I've found that mostly there are two ways people that are successful go about this. There are teachers and relationship builders. Teachers can take most people and improve what they capable of. Relationship builders find a way to keep the talent they have happy and motivated. Both are avenues that work.

I feel like a lot of people in general overestimate the abilities of RBs and Ts and assume they can or are doing both. It's rare to find people who are great at both but people assume successful people are doing both. I feel like, and again my opinion should be taken with multiple grains of salt, Campen was an RB that many assumed was both. Just my two cents and probably says more about fans (and my) assumptions rather than it does Campen himself. 

Well put.

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

This reminds me of the management thing about many employees being promoted one step beyond their competence - while they are performing well they advance.............when that stops they stagnate where they end up, one step beyond where they perform well.  HC requires a rather different skillset than a coordinator as @incognito_man says.

This is why @CWood21 and @Packerraymond will never be webby

• Like 1